Favorite Psychedelic LP from the 1st era (1966-1975)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident

Great selections! I'm especially delighted that you included the Paupers 1st album among those other fantastic albums... Growing up in Toronto in the 60s, I was fortunate to have seen the Paupers many times in small venues, and they were definitely a great Psychedelic band. Live they were quite a bit better than their Magic People album. Their records never lived up to the intensity and excitement of their live shows.
    I also saw them open for Jimi Hendrix at the CNE Colisium in 1968 Classic Poster - Jimi Hendrix Experience at CNE Coliseum, Toronto 2/24/68 by Gary Grimshaw

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    rednedtugent and Electric like this.
  2. Peter Needham

Psychedelia may have been over in the US and the US by the end of the 60s, but in other parts of the world like South America and Turkey is was still going strong well into the 70s; possibly into the 80s Here are some examples

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    tedhead and jamesmaya like this.
  3. Peter Needham

4. Peter Needham

5. Peter Needham

6. Peter Needham

7. adad

adad Forum Resident

My favorites have been mentioned.
    Love, the Doors, Piper, 13th Floor Elevators, SF Sorrow
    I dont know if I saw The Velvet Underground and Nico

Also The Outsiders -CQ

psychtrailmix likes this.
  8. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

As I'm not a musician (or for some other reason) I don't notice the out of tuning. It's the vibe of the album I like. That's all I care about.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That’s funny (the college seminar). I took an urban anthro class and the professor suggested that “if you want to understand hippies, go listen to some Mamas & Papas...” At the time I thought that was funny but in hindsight, he did have something there.

Svetonio and Fishoutofwater like this.
  10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure.Country Joe And The Fish Collectors Item-You Tube all of the 65-66 Rag Baby EPs are there in one nice neat little package in chronological order.You can also purchase the collection@Country Joe's Place on the web.Glad to help.Happy hunting.Peace.

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

John Philips was a part of the corporate machine. Lennon called them Day Trippers or weekend hippies.Just like individuals who buy Harleys and call themselves bikers but only ride on weekend being a hippie just like being a biker is a total complete dedication to a anti-authorive lifestyle.The hippie was buried in Haight-Ashbury in 1967 because the lifestyle had become popularised by the media of the Establishment.John Phillips regardless of what history says was a sellout to that Establishment.Peace.

12. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Psychedelic rock was / is supposed to be a musical trip troughout "inner space", "mind" and "soul" (Greek psukhē = soul, breath), while Space Rock was / is devoted to "take you" up there, among stars.
    Musical difference is that the Space Rock is heavier and louder, more repetative and faster, and with something less experimentation than Psychedelic rock which can be bluesy, jazzy, folkish and even with strong influence of avantgarde.

tedhead, mds, samthesham and 2 others like this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Big fan here. Though, Family's Music in a Doll's House is Progressive rock, not Psychedelic rock album.
    Music in a Doll's House is actually one of the '60s Progressive rock albums which separated the "progressive music" from psychedelia movement.

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The Electronic Hole s/t 1970, U.S.

Lightworker likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Relatively Clean Rivers s/t, 1975, U.S.

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

@ianuaditis

Oh and I forgot to mention a very important thing for Space Rock of the classic era:

[​IMG]

Wah Wah pedals.

Electric likes this.
  18. Danny N.

Danny N. Active Member

Definitely an underrated band. I have a soft spot for bands who plays west coast inspired psych rock, Conqueroo from Texas was another really great band. Probably the worst recording in the history of music, but Charlie Prichards guitarwork is outstanding on this tune:

beccabear67 and samthesham like this.
  19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I took a lot of acid and mushrooms whilst listening to Hawkwind, in fact my first trip was 2 black microdots whilst this very album was playing through giant wardrobe sized speakers at a biker's party out in the New Forest - so it was pretty psychedelic to me :D

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

:rolleyes: I guess it's nice, 50+ years on that there are still "true believers" out there. Personally, I didn't live through the era and just think The Mamas and the Papas are an excellent 60s pop band. And whatever the Dead's problem with Philips and Lou Adler was after Monterey, it didn't stop them playing Me and My Uncle for the next three decades.

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Most I know go for the first album, but this is mine.
    [​IMG]

Nick Dunning and Raunchnroll like this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It hleps to have something innit...

23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Children Of The Future- The Steve Miller Band

Svetonio, thematinggame and drgn95 like this.
  24. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

As great as the debut album and "Near the Beginning" are, this is their masterpiece and it's vastly underappreciated.

25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have the CD version of "Tomorrow" and I like the bonus tracks better than I do the original album (but the album itself is pretty good).

beccabear67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.