Favorite romance/love story films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Feb 14, 2021.

1. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Miracle Mile
    [​IMG]

2. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

True Romance
    Natural Born Killers
    Leaving Las Vegas

Timeless Classics likes this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Out of Africa....1st the comes to mind.
    The Bridges of Madison county....
    there are others escaping me at the moment....Streep good in this genre though

4. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

"I'd be lost without her..." The Remains Of The Day- Hopkins and Thompson - 1993. My video rental store in January of '94 asked its customers to pick 'the best picture' in a little poll. This was mine-of course. Didn't win, of course:). Great love story, and more.
    [​IMG]

longdist01 and BobbyG like this.
  5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

A Paper Wedding (1990) starring Genevieve Bujold. Basically the same plot as Green Card, but way better.

IMDB says it was a TV movie in Canada, but I saw it at an art house movie theater in the U.S.

7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Some favorites off the top of my head:
    The Big Sick
    Love Actually
    Crazy, Stupid, Love.
    The 40-Year-Old Virgin
    How to Be Single
    Frankie and Johnny
    Frances Ha (unique BFF rom-com)
    Lady Bird (unique mother-daughter rom-com)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower (more of a rom-dram I guess)
    Her (rom-dram)
    Queen & Slim (rom-dram)
    Sommersby (rom-dram)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MichaelH and Ghostworld like this.
  9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The Graduate... and

When Harry Met Sally

longdist01 and GillyT like this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Holiday, Casablanca, Manhattan, Annie Hall, When Harry Met Sally, The Brothers McMullen, High Society, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, L'Appartement, The Apartment, Billy Liar, Sons of the Desert, Fabulous Baker Boys, Submarine, Groundhog Day, His Girl Friday, Love on the Run, Wild at Heart, Notorious, Singing in the Rain, Moonstruck, Roman Holiday, Gregory's Girl

For now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    longdist01 and Timeless Classics like this.
  11. Dartman

Dartman Stones Fan

Casablanca.

longdist01 and BobbyG like this.
  12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

a few more that haven't been mentioned yet that I think good

Love Jones (1997)
    Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    9 1/2 Weeks (1986)
    Splendor in the Grass (1961)

hmm, can Night Porter (1974) be considered a love story? It kind of is in an unconventional way

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

the remains of the day
    a room with a view
    midnight cowboy
    betty blue
    diva
    natural born killers
    phantom thread
    theory of everything

longdist01 and AndrewK like this.
  15. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Pillow Talk

Jimmy B. and Timeless Classics like this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm not a great fan of romance/love stories, but there are a few that I enjoy. Among them (some are not pure romance/love story):
    • Time After Time
    • Love Potion Number 9
    • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    • Letting Go (TV movie starring John Ritter and Sharon Gless)
    • Sincerely, Violet (direct-to-video movie)
    • Mannequin
    • her
    • Jack And The Cookoo-Clock Heart

longdist01 likes this.
  17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

time after time
    and crouching tiger ...

a big yes from me !

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If you are interested, there's a direct-to-video movie (done on video tape) named New Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that goes more in depth into the story (the movie is 228 minutes long). There's also a 12-issue manga of the series, it begins far before the events of the movie.

19. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Say Anything (1989)

Maybe the last true great high school film that defined the 80s? In my top 10 of the best 80s films and has aged far better than many other 80s films. One can see this as a transition into the 90s grunge high school films. So many memorable quotes (Can I borrow some of your hey-soul classics; Don't be a guy, the world is filled with guys - be a man; I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen; being "monumentally busy" when asking a girl out; and many more). Great supporting characters, including Joan Cusack, John Mahoney, Amy Brooks, Lili Taylor, and Pamela Adion. Classic film, as one reviewer put it: A Love Story for a Disaffected Yet Optimistic Generation.

"Why I Think This Is A Classic 80s Movies: The 80s were, to me, the golden era of teen movies. 80s teen movies kept something that many 90s teen movies dropped out — innocence. Say Anything… is a movie that isn’t preoccupied with sex and virginity yet addresses them in a much calmer and gentler matter than most teen movies. It also treats the looming ‘future’ in a way that is complex and less black and white. In short, Say Anything… feature characters that are harder to pigeonhole. Lloyd is described as an underachiever, and objectively that may be true, but he’s far from a loser and is very aware of the choices he’s making. Diane isn’t just the nerdy over-achiever pushed by her father. She is a lonely girl who has also made a choice, that she rues a bit on graduation day. Like many teen movies of the 80s, Say Anything… manages to stay true to the age of the characters it depicts by sticking to the inherent innocence of that age and by favoring their journey, over whatever destination or goal they (and the writers) have in mind for them.

Key Things You Should Look For When Watching This Movie: The fact that in many ways, Lloyd isn’t the real protagonist of the film. He may be the one we empathize with the most and the driving force behind the plot, but Diane is the one who has the biggest arc. Diane’s relationship with her father practically defines her... Diane’s relationship with Lloyd serves as a catalyst for her own journey of growing up, through her relationship with her father. This relationship also serves as something standing in the way of Our Couple. In short, the film’s main romance is weaved with a substantial and darker subplot, and pushes Diane’s character on her arc. This is a good reminder that any romance can’t just be about two fun, attractive people getting together, but about how these people grow and change as a result of their romance." Classic 80s movie: “Say Anything”

[​IMG]

20. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

For Love Of Ivy...The Bridges Of Madison County.

21. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I like Green Card a lot, definitely should be in my top list, I haven't seen that other one

22. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

For the most part , I like love stories with a happy ending , and prefer ones with some lighthearted ( but clever) banter. Also like stories that may not be in the romantic category but have a romance threaded through and a sweet payoff at the end . With the exceptions of Gone With The Wind ( not a merry finale tho who knows maybe he'll come back) and Random
    Hearts( kinda bittersweet but who knows maybe they'll get together again ) I don't go for the tearjerkers. I like stories that leave me smiling and feeling warm 'n' fuzzy.

So I'm thinking of movies that I can watch and watch again , like :
    Murphy's Romance
    Six Days Seven Nights
    Sabrina ( with Harrison)
    Charade
    The third act of Plaza Suite
    In the Line of Fire
    Harry and Tonto
    Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
    And , of course ....
    The Sound of Music

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Princess Bride...indubitably

24. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

About Time (2013) - saw it once and remember it was pretty good

MrCJF and Timeless Classics like this.
  25. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Great one! Daniel Day Lewis is unrecognizable in an early role as an upper-class twit. Lotsa fun....

BobbyG and polchik like this.