Favorite singers of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Grieves, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Scott Walker

DJ LX likes this.
  2. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Bruce Dickinson
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Tennant
    David Bowie
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    Mick Jagger
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Jim Morrison
    Van Morrison
    Ronnie James Dio
    Midge Ure
    John Cale
    Roger Daltrey
    Ian Curtis

3. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Aretha franklin
    Janis Joplin
    Frankie Miller
    Glen goins
    Ray Charles
    Martha reeves

4. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Tom Petty
    John Denver
    Jim Croce
    Karen Carpenter
    Linda Rondstadt
    George Harrison
    Bruce Springsteen

5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Why not? I've not read through this thread so as not to influence or remind me of anyone in-particular and I am limiting myself to 5 mins. Ordinarily I would give myself an unlimited amount of time as to really stretch and work my musical muscles and construct what I believed to be as close as possible to a rock solid list which could be held up as valid by any standard; particularly my own. But this is a different game altogether. 5 mins. maximum and no editing afterwards. I'm curious to put myself to the test and to get feedback as to my final list. Obviously there will be no order of superiority. Maybe in round 2; the lightening round I'll give myself 30 seconds to arrange the list in order of excellence or maybe number of Billboard top 10s, numbers of records sold, snappiest dresser...

So with no further ado; please put 5 mins. on the clock and 6 5 4 3 2 1...

Billie Holiday
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Sarah Vaughan
    Aretha Frankin
    Van Morrison
    Steve Winwood
    Willy DeVille
    Lorraine Ellison
    Ronnie Spector
    Otis Redding
    Joe Turner
    Marion Williams
    Phil Alvin
    Roy Orbison
    Wilson Pickett
    Curtis Mayfeild
    James Brown
    Sam Cooke
    Frank Sinatra
    Tony Bennett
    Ray Charles
    Rick Danko
    Jack Bruce
    Howard Tate
    The Ettas: James and Jones
    Iris DeMent
    Howlin' Wolf
    Carmen Linares
    Eva Cassidy
    Nat Cole
    David Crosby
    John Fogerty
    Jorge Ben
    Gal Costa
    Bessie Smith
    Bobby Blue Bland
    Levi Stubbs
    Aaron Neville
    Amalia Rodrigues
    Esther Phillips
    Janis Joplin
    Bessie Banks
    Kiri Te Kanawa
    Cass Elliot
    Shelia Jordan
    Martha Reeves
    Tina Turner
    Ben E. King
    Jimmy Scott
    Joe Williams

and 5 4 3 Al Jolson 1.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    cedarbrew likes this.
  6. fenderesq

I apologize; I realize I said I would not edit my list after 5 mins. of working on it and I did; but for the record it was to correct a word misspelled in my opening paragraph not to make any changes or additions to my original list... although upon having reread it there might be a few additions I would like to have made.

OK... on to the lightening round.

7. fenderesq

One of the additions I would have made would have been Shirley Bassey if for nothing else then the theme to Goldfinger.

8. fenderesq

Oh and Al Green... how could I have omitted Al Green? I deserve to be hung upside down by my big toes!

...then cut down tarred and feathered.

...rode out of town on a rail.

...had my Haagen Dazs taken away from me...

9. Yoko
    sorry, my mistake I meant Ringo.

10. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I have finally gotten around to checking her out. I like her version of Space Oddity and her on stage banter.

I was so surprised by her higher vocals in “When the Rain Came Down”. She sounds so much like Kate Bush.

Thanks again.

DJ LX likes this.
  11. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Tom Petty - my favorite singer

12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I was thinking about this last night while listening to Jimi Hendrix singing "Please Let Me Crawl Out Your Window". My favorite singers/vocalists:

Jimi Hendrix
    Neil Young
    Brian Wilson
    Michael Stipe
    Eddie Vedder
    Paul Westerberg
    J Mascis (yes, J Mascis!)
    Brian Eno
    Taj Mahal
    Joey Ramone
    Billy Joe Armstrong
    Grace Slick
    David Bowie
    Alan Vega
    David Bowie

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Sandy Denny

14. WillytheWoofer

WillytheWoofer Forum Resident

For me Cassandra Wilson. I love black woman because of their power.

15. Andrewandrew1234

Andrewandrew1234 New Member

Andrzej Zaucha,Freddie Mercury,Przemyslaw Gintrowski,Collin Vearncombe

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis Presley - William F. Buckley once said that Elvis had "The most beautiful signing voice of any human being on the planet." Put this fact together with an almost 3 octave vocal range and a vocal versatility and dexterity virtually unmatched by anybody, besides a Ray Charles or Charlie Rich, and you get the worlds greatest singer bar none!
    Frank Sinatra - The Voice had near perfect pitch, unmatched phrasing skills and a clarity of intonation unmatched by almost any singer of his time, other than perhaps Ella Fitzgerald.
    Roy Orbison -
    "The worlds first operatic rock 'n' roll singer," J. D. Souther direct quote after backing him up on his superb A Back And White Night Cinemax special. Enough said!
    Nat King Cole - A voice of velvet that is as soothing as a sip of your favorite cocktail. I could never get tired of hearing Nat sing to me!
    Ray Charles - Come on seriously, do we need to even mention how versatile and great this man's voice was in his prime. Soul, R&B, Pop, Rock 'n' Roll, Country, Standards, and anything else you can think of really!
    Charlie Rich - Once described by a music critic as "The missing link between Elvis and Ray Charles." Oh, and he could sing standards like Frank, Rock 'n' roll like Elvis, R & B like Ray, and country like Jim Reeves. The greatest singer that many people on this great forum have probably never heard of, but Elvis had Charlie's music in his own personal record collection.
    Michael Bublé - Try seeing this guy live, if you doubt his vocal prowess as I did at MSG in New York in 2014, when he put his microphone down and sang without any amplification, and filled up the arena with his majestic voice on his last number, the stellar A Song For You.
    John Gary - Another phenomenally underrated and unknown singer like Charlie Rich above. Everyone from Elvis to Sinatra admired his voice, technique and vocal range, which was said to be at least 3 and a half octaves. His Catch a Rising Star debut album is fantastic with his version of Unchained Melody leaving the Blue-Eyed Soul Brothers version in the dust, and I love their great take on that chestnut as well, so no disrespect intended!
    Patsy Cline - The greatest female country singer of all time and still a major influence today.
    Ella Fitzgerald - I have always respected this woman having grown up as a kid watching her on television, but just in the past couple of years I have awakened to her true greatness as a singer of almost unparalleled vocal intonation and pitch. It all started with listening to her two fantastic Christmas albums and has grown from there!
    Tammy Wynette - "The singer that could sing the phone book and do it with a tear in her voice." The most emotional country singer since Patsy.
    Dusty Springfield - The precursor to Adele. Enough said!
    Adele - What can I say more about a voice that swoons and soars like a brass instrument at times. When people say that the trained music voice is a type of music instrument, they are talking about Adele's voice most of the time.
    Karen Carpenter - Okay, we have the most perfect pitch and texture of any female voice on record. What William F. Buckley said about Elvis's voice above, many would have also said about Karen's stupendous voice in her time.
    Carrie Underwood - Surprise pick to some, but not if you have seen her live in person. One of the truly great live female singers in the business, admired by everyone from Michael Jackson to Tony Bennet no less.
    Lorrie Morgan - Most underrated and unknown singer on the list, but a truly great country-torch singer, who was asked to sing with Frank Sinatra on his second Duets album, and to many fans it was the highlight of the album. The song was their beautiful and haunting merging of How Do You Keep The Music Playing/My Funny Valentine and it was fantastic! Check out her own torch album of standards, Secret Love, superior to Linda Ronstadt's great Nelson Riddle conducted standard albums that were also pretty darn good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

18. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

David Gilmour
    John Lennon
    Roger Hodgson
    Roger Daltrey
    Chuck Negron
    Dewey Bunnell
    Catherine Howe
    David Bowie
    Linda Thompson
    Karen Carpenter
    Bee Gees
    ABBA
    Russell Thompkins Jr.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  19. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

So many greats....

Got to cast a vote for Patty Griffin

20. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

You had me at Roy Orbison...:righton:

I have so many favorites that I'm not gonna try to do a list, but if I need to pick just one favorite for now, it would be Van Morrison

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Mr. Grieves and RSteven like this.
  21. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

1. Janis Joplin
    2. Etta James
    3. Aretha Franklin
    4. Grace Slick
    5. Siouxsie Sioux
    6. Kate Bush
    7. Lana Del Rey
    8. Joan Baez
    9. Nina Simone
    10. Hope Sandoval
    11. Mon Laferte
    12. Adele
    13. The Supremes
    14. Dolly Parton
    15. Marvin Gaye

HaileyMcComet and RSteven like this.
  22. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I like Las Grecas, too, (sister duo)... Roy Orbison is a great one, JD Souther

23. County50

County50 Forum Resident

Ronnie Dio
    Paul Rodgers
    Gregg Allman
    Jon Anderson
    Greg Lake
    Rick Danko
    Jack Bruce
    David Crosby
    Dave Mason
    Lowell George