Favorite singers of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Grieves, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

In no particular order and kind of, todays picks.
    Frank Sinatra
    Gene Clark
    Elizabeth Frazier
    Lennon
    Nat King Cole
    Dusty Springfield
    Neil Tenant
    Sinead OConnor
    Deborah Harry
    Ranking Roger
    Justin Hayward
    Nina Simone
    Tracy Thorn

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  2. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Also in no particular order:
    Billie Holiday
    Aretha Franklin
    Frank Sinatra
    Etta James
    Pat Benatar
    Maria McKee
    Alison Moyet
    Bob Dylan
    Janis Joplin
    Ann Wilson
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Joe Cocker
    Renee Geyer

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why do you guys like the singers you pick?

Wish folks would give a bit of commentary. Makes for a much more inner'esting read. I love to read about why people pick what they pick. Otherwise, its just another bunch of lists.

1) Jussi Björling- tenor opera. Why? Jussi was not the greatest technical opera singer or the most powerful. But, imo, he was the purest, most musical and most lyrical. Listen to his "O Holy Night". One of the most beautiful vocals ever.

2) David Ruffin- Temptations singer. Sam was the best. Otis is my all around favorite. But David, to me, had the most moving, gut wrenching vocals. "Aint To Proud To Beg" "My Girl" and "I Wish It Would Rain". What a trio of a master soul singer at the very too of his game. Too bad due to ego and lifestyle he wasnt able to sustain longer. But, man, what a voice for that brief shining moment.

3) Johnny Cash- Try and sing the way Johnny told a story sometime. It always sounds like a parody. No one quite could tell the tall tales like Johnny. He was the Mark Twain of country. A true real voice. I can see why Dylan upon meeting him just walked around him like a big tree and said "Yeah." His voice puts the L in legend.

4) Hellen Morgan- Probably not many have heard of this singer. She was from the 20s. What is it I like about her? Ive never quite heard the type of vunerability in a singing boice before. Her inflections, tone and feminine perspective are very different than anyone Ive ever listened to. I only have a handful of songs that I listen to of hers. But those couple of five songs are some of the most beautifully aching renditions Ive ever heard. Listen to "Why Was I Born" sometime. Nothing quite like it.

5) Karen Carpenter- Here is part of what I wrote in another thread: "Listening to these clips in the dark last night I started thinking what it is that makes her voice so special and appealing to many. In a basic sense it simply comes down to her voice seems envelop the listener with a warmth thats hard to describe and a richness in tone that defines pleading heartache within a smile. The listener gets the sense that shes right there rocking you to calm comfort. Its a hypnotic voice. It possesses a tender strength."

6) Bob Dylan- What would Dylans great writing abilities be without his delivery? I once read an article that was the best explaination of why Bob is one of the great singers. Not unlike Billie Holiday, he uses microtones and inflections. Its *how* he sings that makes the difference. Dont think that Bob isnt a studied singer. He knows exactly what he is doing. And just like the best of singers his ability to control a phrase, his breathing and tone are on par with Mr Sinatra (and Im not talking about the cover albums). Remains one of my favorite storytelling singers.

7) Sade- Ive always leaned more towards the sultrey rather than the acrobatic or higher register vocals when it comes to female vocals. No one is more sexy than this ladies singing. Im also a sucker for a little bit of country of origin accent thrown in the vocals. Adds to the mystery and strange. Her voice draws me in everytime and turns me into PePe Le Pew. Well, minus the stink.

Many more, but as not to be a long read Ill leave it at that.

4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Mario Bloody Lanza!!! NO not really! My dad used to make a point of playing Mario very loud every Sunday morning after I had crawled into bed at 5-6 am after Saturday night out, clubbing, dancing with the girls and drinking. The Bast:realmad::cussing::realmad::cussing::realmad::cussing::realmad:

5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

1) Freddie Mercury

Then in no particular order...
    Mike Patton
    John Lennon
    Carole King
    David Bowie
    Elvis Presley
    Kurt Cobain
    Bono
    Kate Bush
    Ozzy Osborne
    Tony Hadley
    Oliver Hardy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Carlox likes this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Can't believe that no one else on here has listed:

Jeff Buckley
    Philip Bailey
    Alexander O'Neal
    Chaka Khan
    Anthony Keidas
    Rufus Wainwright
    James Dean Bradford
    El Debarge
    Barry White
    Peter Gabriel
    Guy Garvey(sounds like a dead ringer for Peter Gabriel)
    Chris Cornell

I think my other selections were mentioned by others including:

Morrissey
    Luther Vandros
    Marvin Gaye
    Elton John
    David Bowie
    Al Green

7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

• Laura Nyro: Technically, maybe the best female vocalist in popular music, Nyro also wrote songs that exploited her emotional and dynamic range to the full.
    • Ella Fitzgerald: For flexibility, control and phrasing quite possibly the greatest vocalist in any genre.
    • Natalie Merchant: Natalie's songwriting varies in quality - she isn't even one of my all-time recording artists - but she is almost literally someone to whom I could listen if she were singing the phone directory.
    • David Sylvian: Sylvian reputedly dislikes his own voice, but he makes it work perfectly with his music; it's the musical equivalent of a warm bath you just don't want to get out of. Good going for someone who sounded at the outset for someone doing a bad Bryan Ferry impression.
    • Regina Spektor: As with Natalie Merchant, she's somewhat held back by her songwriting, but her perky, kooky vocals lead their class and at her best she's stunning. See also: Lisa Hannigan.
    • Tim Buckley: Only room for one Buckley on the list. Yes, Jeff is great too but it's the bottom end of Tim's voice that hits so hard, as though he is singing out of his very soul.
    • Judie Tzuke: Tzuke has the precision & range of a great backing vocalist but she's also a great pop songwriter. I can never understand why she isn't more widely listened to.
    Honourable mentions to Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Rickie Lee Jones as well: favourite singers of mine but each in her own way maybe too mannered to make this particular list.

mpayan likes this.
  8. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    Freddie Mercury
    Elton John
    Kate Bush
    Peter Gabriel
    David Bowie

Sondek likes this.
  9. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

OK, good point and agree that lists can be very dull. I chose Gram Parsons as my all time favoutite singer, so here's why. I think the thread is wanting us to identify singers purely based on their vocal attributes, correct? If it were based on creativity or song writing then my answer would be very different. To my mind, Gram Parsons simply has the most beautiful, pure voice I've heard. If it wasn't for his vision of Cosmic American music, I probably wouldn't have given country music the time of day. Discovering Gram's limited discography was an absolute revelation to me, and think he is one of very few singers you can listen to all day long, without becoming fatigued.

10. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

Iggy Pop
    Hmm, I dunno what to say. His voice in the early 70s is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about when I say "I like rock music."

Lemmy
    The opposite side of Iggy in the rock n roll spectrum: instead of playing a wounded animal he projected a sense of effortless cool and invincibility. His gravel approach meant he aged well even as his voice deteriorated.

John Arch (Fates Warning)
    Mischievous spectral wanderings. Occasionally floats down to play with the instruments only to dart off back into the ether when he gets bored, and somehow it makes sense harmonically.

David Bowie
    Knew how to use his limitations in a compelling way; one of his big influences on punk I imagine.

Sly Stone
    Pretty unbelievable range when he was on. One of the nice things about "There's a Riot Goin On" being so overdubbed/overproduced is that the ghostly fog of vocal layers become a huge part of the arrangements--if you took the vocals out half the music would be gone.

Per Ohlin ("Dead")
    When I criticize a death metal or black metal band for having "unemotional vocals," a common reaction is: "what would emotional black metal vocals even sound like? Huhh smart guy?" I'd point to this guy. He legit sounded like he was in a trance. I could also put Varg here but let's keep the screamy/growly "singers" minimal in this list.

Mick Jagger
    Pure attitude. Real fun to imitate. When he croaks I bet people will re-evaluate him as a frontman and realize he's better than they think.

Kogure (Seikima-II)
    Heavy metal meets Noh theater. Hot-blooded and ghastly at once, just a great voice.

etc...

mpayan and Mr. Grieves like this.
  11. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Yes! Alfred Arnold Cocozza AKA Mario Lanza
    [​IMG]

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Johnny O'Keefe. He confessed himself his voice sounds like gravel, and he's normally more out of tune than in-tune, But there's just something about it, an enthusiasm and determination to put 100% into everything with his voice.

mpayan and keyse1 like this.
  13. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Tony Bennett
    Burton Cummings
    Melissa Manchester
    Mary Black
    Paul McCartney
    Karen Carpenter
    Frank Sinatra
    Matt Monro
    Karrin Allyson
    Chris Bennett
    John Lennon
    Aretha Franklin
    Jimmy Ruffin
    Marvin Gaye
    Micky Dolenz
    Denise Donetelli

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Rod Stewart
    Chris Cornell
    Beth Gibbons

15. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

John Martyn

16. Django

Django Forum Resident

Victoria Legrand (beach house)

17. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

Came in here to post John Martyn

FangfossFlyer likes this.
  18. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

John Of The Beatles
    Paul Of The Beatles
    George Of The Beatles
    Pete Ham
    Elvis Presley
    Roy Orbinson
    Jim Morrison
    Eric Clapton
    Roger Daltrey
    Brian Wilson

19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Trish Keenan (Broadcast)

20. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

In no particular order. Various singing styles to listen to depending on mood:

Aaron Neville
    Carl Wilson
    Karen Carpenter
    Annie Lennox
    Roy Orbison
    Brian Wilson (pre mid 70s)
    Lou Rawls
    Otis Redding
    Del Shannon
    Aretha Franklin
    Alison Krauss

Tyler Mills and bluejimbop like this.
  21. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

(No particular order, and whittled down from a shortlist of 21)

George Michael
    Sade
    Prince
    Alexander O'Neal
    Amy Winehouse
    Karen Carpenter
    Erykah Badu
    Maxwell
    Joni Mitchell
    Cory Glover (Living Colour)
    Marvin Gaye
    Marsha Ambrosius
    Michael Jackson
    Janet Jackson
    Ruth Pointer

Tyler Mills, qJulia and JohnnyQuest like this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

As time goes on, I'm more and more impressed by Roger Daltrey.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's still got it after all these years

Vinyl_Blues and Fullbug like this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

25. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I tried to answer in this thread when it was first posted, but I gave up. However, this is the list that was still waiting to be posted when you tagged me, Johnny. :angel:

In alphabetical order:

Chet Baker
    Brandy
    Kari Bremnes
    John Cale
    Céline Dion
    Brian Eno
    Marianne Faithfull
    Barry Gibb
    Emmylou Harris
    Ofra Haza
    Chris Isaak
    Charlie Louvin
    Willie Nelson
    Joanna Newsom
    Nico
    Britney Spears
    Amy Winehouse

I know there is 17 in my list, and not 15, but I had already sacrificed so many names, I couldn't bare to lose another two, and I that's what kept me from replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.