Favorite SNL skits

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'll just mention one that comes to mind-"Massive Head Wound Harry".

Lonecat, kouzie and Timeless Classics like this.
  2. Splungeworthy

It's "chunks", and this is one of the funniest sketches ever.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Lots of great ones- one of my favorites was Jason Sudeikis’s savage take on Ricky Gervais

Ricky Gervais Promos

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

What the hell is that?

dlokazip and Mister Charlie like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

When this sketch originally aired the background music was "Beautiful Girls" by Van Halen, but they had to replace it with some generic heavy metal music because they had to pay Van Halen every time it was aired. Somewhere somebody has it with the original music, which makes the piece that much better.

BobFever likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I only watched the original cast. And I haven't read they other replies yet. But to give a less obvious answer: Eric Idle, Bill Murray, Jane a Curtain and Loraine Newman's madrigal about the ship in the merry month of May.

And of course, 'What the hell is that?'

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Phil Hartman made that sketch with his Disney-esque announcing: "Toonces! The cat that could drive a car!" The VO alone made me laugh until I coughed and puked, it was so dead-on perfect.

Likewise, Darrell Hammond's impression of Sean Connery was just perfect. <heavy Scottish accent> "Ah, Trebek! My old adversary!" Totally a riot. Even Norm MacDonald was very funny as Burt Reynolds. The casting on these sketches is critical, and the best ones were just amazing.

There's a great story about the Star Trek sketch done in the mid-1970s by the original SNL cast. Lorne Michaels was concerned because John Belushi was "feeling no pain" at the time and stumbling through rehearsals. Michaels told the comedian around 10PM, "I'm gonna kill the sketch," but Belushi insisted it run and that he would do a perfect job as Shatner. And 11:30PM rolled around...and it wound up being one of the best sketches they ever did.

"Honky honky! DEAD honky!" :eek:

I've watched the entire Richard Pryor SNL show at least 10-15 times, and it's a riot. Hell, the Exorcist sketch is a hands-down classic: "Yo mama sews socks that smell!" :laugh:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What the hell is that dang deal?

Scotian likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Little hands.
    Southern justice
    Mr bill

10. Surely you don't mean...oooh weee, what up with that?! :)

Scotian likes this.
  11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

More Cowbell!
    Foley/van down by the river
    Oops! I crapped my pants

12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

13. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The show, MEET YOUR SECOND WIFE, co-hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, in which a trio of married men and their wives are introduced to the husbands' increasingly younger second wives in their current state.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Senior moment I guess or too much caffeine coursing through my veins.

I can't believe I spelled it "junks" instead of "chunks". It's freakin' one line.

Thanks for the catch.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I have three:

Robot Repair:
    Such a simple concept, and one that takes a while to build...but what a payoff!
    Jebediah Atkinson: Great succinct reviews.
    Debbie Downer at Disneyland (Honorable Mention: Debbie Downer and Bob Bummer meet)

17. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Miss me some Phil Hartman.... One of the most underrated comedy legends, imho. This President Clinton McDonald's sketch is top notch.

scousette, Tommy Jay, Vidiot and 6 others like this.
  18. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Oh man, late 80s early 90s was some serious magic, but there were occasional moments later where it was good as well.
    Perspectives with Lionel Osbourne was always great. There was one with Damon Wayans playing a militant leader. He was talking about some march he was attending and got really worked up, eventually talking about "blood of the white man flowing in the streets", or something like that. Lionel, calm as always, said "Well what if it's raining?".

There was also the one where Chris Parnell would chew up food and spit it into Chris Kattan's mouth, because he had some condition where he couldn't digest his food or something. It was an utterly ridiculous premise that is much more than the sum of its parts.

The Cookie Dough Gatorade commercial was comedy gold.

Frankh likes this.
  19. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

Brian Hoffman likes this.
  20. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

21. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Solitaire1 and Splungeworthy like this.
  22. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Funny how the years go by.... my first thought reading the topic title was “of course, has to be The Festrunk Brothers... two wild and crazy guys” and this many years later it can’t make it earlier than the 4th page.

Steve Martin hit at a weird time...he was maybe the first rock star comedian, in the sales sense, but his routines were based much more on a persona than on jokes and it seems that the persona has not aged well.

Don’t care... still love the Festrunk Brothers and still like wearing two socks on one foot.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

...I kind of want to try that.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Phil Hartman did both of these great sketches. Did anyone else do 2 presidents so far apart?

25. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

Many of my favorites are already mentioned:

Belushi/Donuts
    Foley/Van Down by the River. It was funny watching David Spade trying not to laugh.
    Carvey as John McLaughlin
    Phil Hartman as Sinatra in a McLaughlin Group
    James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub

Some of my favorites are the commercial parodies. This one still makes me laugh after 40 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.