Favorite speakers you've ever owned

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FulhamTarheel, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

is that speaker hiding underneath the bookshelf?

Rick58 likes this.
  2. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

what would be the modern JMR equivalent to the Offrandes? I’d like to move up range from my Bliss Silvers, though I’ll never get rid of them.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Yep. Space constraints. But sounds just great.

4. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Am blessed with many great speakers and mostly listen to Genelec 8351s (studio) and Tekton Double Impacts (stereo home listening).
    But the speakers I remember the most are a set of Altec Lansing Passive Radiators that I got when they first came out in the 70s, I think:
    Altec Lansing 3841 vintage floor or shelf speakers | samstuff | Reverb
    These were very accurate for their day and still remember their smooth bass response.
    Would love to buy another pair, then think "oops, another garage space here."

Tim 2, Kristofa and mreeter like this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I like your idea. This is what I found out about some speakers. When I was a kid, I was really big into dreaming high fidelity. But since wallet was so busted by having a okay job and going to school, I try to make the most out of my 35 watts system. I notice when I put my speakers inside a cabinet closet (sometimes fully open and sometimes 3/4 open door), it gives me a more bigger headroom sound. I tried experimenting with matching satellite tweeters. I found out that was my sound. So it amazes me that I saw someone doing the same. Great!

Thing Fish likes this.
  6. These were not the best speakers I have had, but they are my favorites because of what they captured.
    I grew up in Minnesota close to the warehouse and production facility making DLK speakers.
    For a short time their dumpster was a goldmine of speaker stuff.
    From test only drivers, to full on cabinets (bookshelf or floorstanding) and even some overstock, discontinued items...and occasionally a prototype.
    Often these were somewhat damaged because they were throwing them away, but sometimes they were not damaged much, or even at all.

One nice summer night, while diving the dumpster (had to be crafty and careful because were were not supposed to be in there and the security guards would get pretty tough if caught) I spied a few boxes of car speakers.
    I did not know DLK was making car speakers...and they were not yet. These were prototypes.
    I only needed two speakers for the doors of my crappy High school car so I grabbed two and was on my way.

Brand new, in the box, never before used 6"x9" DLK speakers....Oh the mind wanders with the possibilities at such a find.

Very soon after, I mean within a week or two, that dumpster was now in a locked enclosure and the diving was done.

These are my favorite speakers because of the entire situation involved with getting them and using them.

This reminds me. I have to redo the suspensions on a friends, and fellow dumpster diver, DKL floorstanders (prototypes and never released)
    I reworked some DKL 1-1/2's years ago and they are working perfectly.

Ntotrar and No Blue Skies like this.
  7. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

My Rogers Studio 1a's are still very much up to the job despite the changes In my frontend . Same old turntable, Linn Valhalla ,newer Technics 1200 with mods.
    Newish Musical Fidelity m3 integrated amp .Onkyo cd player .
    My estimation for replacements showing a considerable replacement value would be in the $8,000 plus region .
    Love my Rogers , even if I replaced them I would still keep them

berlinerpunk and layman like this.
  8. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

My first hi fi bookshelf speakers, by Utah. Don't recall the model. Nostalgia is certainly one reason for favor; they were stolen before I was done enjoying them.

I have JBL L100A and New Advent speakers now, and I certainly like them but wish I could hear the Utahs again.

9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

My current DIY setup is my favorite of all my DIY creations.

12" aperiodic subs (one under each end table) handle 300-Hz down to about 30-Hz, 3" full-range drivers (Faital) handle 300-Hz up. Biamped (DIY passive xover). The system is phase/transient perfect from 300-Hz and up.

[​IMG]

If I had to pick commercial speakers I've owned, it would be the KEF 105 (the original, not the series 2, I owned them both).

Classic Car Guy and brew ziggins like this.
  10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Audio Note speakers are my favorite - let's see. I currently own the

AN E/SPx AlNiCo Hemp with AlNiCo tweeters and woofers
    AN K/SPe (newer series with full Russian birch foam surrounds)
    AN AX Two speakers

Previously I owned
    AN E/Lx Hemp (standard drivers)
    AN J/SPe (had these for 13 years)
    AN K/SPe (older design with rubber surround and mixed materials cabinetry)

My other favorite (still own them) are the Wharfedale E-70 (Vanguard edition)

Of course I love a lot of other speakers but they are either too expensive, too big, too hard to drive or a combination of the three.

Left to right AN-K, AN-J, AN-E

[​IMG]

Wharfedale Vanguard

[​IMG]

If you ever find the E-70 or Vanguard or E-90 second hand you won't pay too much and IMO these were the Wharfedales to buy. Like Klipsch - only better.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  11. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

What did you replace them with?

12. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

I'm guessing I'm at the entry level on here, but I love my B&W 603's. In my studio I prefer my Adam A7X over my Event 20/20 bas V3, which is not a fair comparison really since the Adam's are twice the price (but they're rather different from one another = two sets of references which is always a good thing).

13. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Infinity Kappa 9

Archguy likes this.
  14. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

SPEAKER PR0N!!! [​IMG]

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

AR 3a

Stereo68 likes this.
  16. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Favorite vintage Ive ever owned would be Dynaco A-25. All about that natural mid range!

Favorite ever... tough one but Harbeth 7es3 or Klipsch Quartets. Polar opposite reasons.

bhazen likes this.
  17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

My current ATC SCM70 ASL's will never leave.

Mad shadows likes this.
  18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Not at all. A new pair B&W 603's cost more than my whole "entry level" stereo back when I was younger. :)

You don't mention which version of 603's you're using (there are many) but I still use my B&W 603 s3's for the L&R speakers in my basement listening system. They still sound great. He's a review of my 603: B&W DM603 S3 loudspeaker

19. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

I hear ya, my first stereo (speakers, amplifier, turntable, tape deck) was around $1,000 some 30 years ago. But it was sufficient at the time. Eventually one of the speakers caved in (literally) which paved the way to somewhat more serious stuff.

I wasn't aware of the many versions of the 603's. I bought these just 3 months ago so they're the latest. They are paired with the new Arcam SA30 - sounds excellent, but hoping for a slight improvement in the low end after doing the Dirac Live room correction this weekend.

20. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Enjoyed my time with these NS1000 , Spica TC50 , Rogers LS3/5a , Sanders 10c , Klipschorns & Usher Be20
    Recently installed latest & probaly last set of speakers Hedd Main Towers

21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Probably the Celestion DL-8 II's I've had for 25-30 years. If the sound has degraded, I sure haven't noticed. Physically, the surrounds and speakers appear as new. I always keep the grills on FWIW. I also am in love with my NHT SuperZeros and SuperOnes. I have no interest in trying something else as I'm so pleased with how music sounds to me in my four different systems scattered about our house.

22. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Dynaco A-25. Lovely period piece.

Spendor BC-1. They’re held in high regard for a reason. Voices just lovely.

Quad ESL-63. Dynamically compromised but otherwise world class.

Spendor SP-1/2 E. See Spendor BC-1

Shahinian Obelisk. Get used to their uniqueness and, with the right amp, you do
    not want to turn them off.

Wilson Sasha 2. With the right equipment and setup(not easy)these are unbelievable.

Harbeth P3 ESR Anniversary. These are brand new to me so preliminary thoughts. Within their volume constraints some instruments just sound scary real.

An out of left field surprise. Naim n-Sats.

Shiver and bhazen like this.
  23. garyalex

garyalex Forum Resident

I don't know that the current JMR product line has anything like the Offrandes. I think the closest you'll get are the Voce Grande. Bob Neill at Amherst Audio is probably the person to talk with about this.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Had to turn down a gift of Maggies once, because I didn't quite have the room for them, nor did I have a handle on my finances at the time, for a proper amp to drive them. My friend sold them to a conductor somewhere in Philly, where I assume they're now happy and magneplanar.

I don't regret it, I just regret not being prepared for such an opportunity.

25. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Favorites I have NEVER owned would have to be: Wilson Audio

Classic Car Guy likes this.