Favorite Stanley Kubrick Film Poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Denim Chicken, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Went with 2001 though I could easily have gone for Barry Lyndon. I really need to give The Shining another go as I just can't get into it all for some reason - I don't think I've ever managed to make it all the way through, despite loving every other Kubric film that I've seen (Eyes Wide Shut excepted).

Denim Chicken likes this.
  2. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Attention to detail is integral to any Kubrick film. The Dawn of Man greatly benefited from front projection. Done today, it would all be green screens and CGI. Even the apes would be CGI. It would never look as good.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I find "Barry Lyndon" be absolutely dreadful. It's so dark and dreary (yes, I know why), but the story kind of stinks, too.

4. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

My favourite is the Killing. I know its a rip off of a Japanese movie but so what?
    Clockwork orange and spartacus are a close second.
    Im not sure how much of spartacus Kubrick actually directed given he wanted his name removing. Douglas put kubrick firmly in his place.
    Strangelove is a peculiar movie for kubrick as he gave Sellers a completely free hand without any script. This is Sellers movie and totally outstanding.
    Apparently he even had Kubrick almost smiling.
    Paths of glory is another powerful film
    As for the rest in the list I don't care for any of them.

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Was goons pick 2001 but that’s kinda easy. Watched FMJ high as a kite back in the day and was totally floored. So FMJ

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

recently watched Full Metal Jacket... still mind blowing...

CDFanatic and HaileyMcComet like this.
  7. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

The story's great. Barry Lyndon's journey has enough going on, enough drama to fill a couple of films. That said, I could understand if you find the way his story was played out in this particular film to be boring. It's not exactly an exciting film, though I love it anyway.

Richard--W and GodShifter like this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I saw it in the theater on its second run, and I think once with rented home video. I like the film and the story, but remember on walking out thinking that if you were wondering in the course of it just what the hell he was trying to say, after 2+ hours he dropped it all in at the very end with a throwaway line by Barry (which i don't remember to quote but you could look it up). Sort of like a basketball game :)

9. I read A Clockwork Orange before I ever saw the movie so that one easily wins. The writing is tops. The creativity with the Russian words is a lot of fun.

10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Anthony Burgess was an interesting writer. I remember reading the (originally omitted ) 21st chapter of A Clockwork Orange in 1986, when it was included in U.S. editions of the book for the first time. It changed my entire view of Burgess as a writer.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  11. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE for me.
    A movie way ahead of its time with a great plot, great flow, excellent acting and a clever choice of music used.
    The CLOCKWORK ORANGE soundtrack was probably the VERY FIRST CD I ever bought to replace my vinyl LP copy.

12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just came across my second favorite Kubrick film streaming.

A night like this is perfect for Barry Lyndon.

HaileyMcComet and Richard--W like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Viddy well, my brother , viddy well.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

huh? what Japanese film?

15. Richard--W

I remember reading One Hand Clapping and Tremor of Intent.
    All these great language skills put into the service of hoity-toity satire.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  16. Richard--W

"They are all equal now."

Barry Lyndon is about custom, class, behavior, ambition, and love.
    The film's strength is that it's a character-driven drama.
    Thank goodness it's not an action movie.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  17. Richard--W

I love all of Kubrick's films. I'm in awe of his lensmanship and his
    intellect. I adore Barry Lyndon which never gets enough credit.

Mine, too. I saw it in the first week of its release when I was 11 going on 12.
    Our homeroom teacher put the poster up in January, and the kids paid $4
    for the ticket and the bus trip (about 20 miles) in April. The school bus
    arrived at 8, got in line with all the other school buses, we went in to see
    the movie at the Capitol Theater in NYC, then got back on the bus and we
    were back in class by 1pm. We saw the longer version, before Kubrick cut it.
    Sitting there watching 2001 on the big screen, it affected my mind in a life-
    changing way. During the intermission I went to the bathroom, and there
    were men in suits standing at the foot of the marble stairs engaged in what
    appeared to be a heated discussion. They looked important. I wonder if one
    of them wasn't Stanley Kubrick. When I got home that night I wrote down
    everything I saw in the movie in my movie-going notebook. I still have it.
    I drove my parents crazy talking about the film and tried to persuade them
    to take me to see it again. Eventually, I would see it a couple of hundred
    times in its first release and every release thereafter including repertory
    screens.

I agree. It's special. Even more special than my first wife.

18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

'One Hand Clapping' - an intentional
    indictment of the deterioration of education in Western culture; finally now 6O years later, we see what compromised academic integrity looks like on the outside.

Few understand Burgess's work or his ascendancy toward mounting the disjunction of fictional narrative and metaphysical philosophy in the Cold War paradigm, which is probably why I find him an interesting sort of writer.

Richard--W likes this.
  19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Full Metal Jacket is my favorite with both 2001 and The Shining close behind.

20. FallenLeaves

FallenLeaves Active Member

Although I haven't watched some of the films, I have voted for Eyes Wide Shut.
    2001 is a beautiful movie with one of the most profound ending scenes, but somewhere I felt a little bored. Maybe it was my mood that day, my opinion may change again.

21. Richard--W

I was there:

[​IMG]

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Kubrick movies are all pretty special, at least all of the ones I've seen are.

My personal viewing history had me going back only as far as SPARTACUS. The Blu-ray set I have starts there as well. So I've not had the pleasure of seeing any of the earlier ones - until this week when I finally watched all of PATHS OF GLORY. I'd grabbed the old DVD sometime a year or so ago in a trip to a FYE store and it has been on the shelf ever since. About a week ago, with lots of time, I decided to give it a spin. Unfortunately, this particular DVD was authored so that when played on my Sony Blu-ray players onto my Sony TVs, I get the 4:3 picture automatically blown up to 16:9, but it chops off the tops of heads. Instantly, I knew something was wrong as I tried watching the movie, and it bothered be enough to go ahead and order the Criterion version.

Once that arrived, I sat down and watched the full film, and found it to be quite powerful. I even watched a second time with the commentary track to learn a great deal more about this excellent film. Today, I watched the full documentary STANLEY KUBRICK: A LIFE IN PICTURES that's contained on both the DVD and Ble-ray sets of his movies, and it has a nice section on PATHS OF GLORY.

I'll never change my choice of favorite for the poll, - 2001: a space odyssey - but I now have another in the Kubrick arsenal that I can admire.

23. Richard--W

2001: a space odyssey has just turned 52 years old.
    Happy birthday, 2001.

24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I had to pick The Shining for my favourite, but all his films are like children, you have to love them all. I recently upgraded the system to view 4K and I picked up the new 4K 2001 and Shining discs. Oh my god these look so beautiful on my big screen. Both transfers were done from the original negatives, and the sound is DTS-HD 5.1. Absolutley worth the price of admission.

25. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Barry Lyndon for sure!