Favorite west coast/AOR albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuniorNB, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

All West Coast rock is great in the hippy era. Most of it isn't post Eagles, this is though.

[​IMG]

2. mteinum

mteinum Forum Resident

3. The David Roberts album was just re-released on CD. It's not real meaty in the songwriting department, but there is some wondeful playing. The song "Never Gonna Let You Go" has a remarkable drum groove from the Porcaro brothers, and Steve Lukather's guitar solo comes in and just elevates the whole thing to a special place. One of Luke's best, I think.

4. svafo

svafo Forum Resident

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SICP-20249

I took a chance and bought this new 2010 CD of the Airplay album - remastered by noone less than Jay Graydon himself.
    To my ears it sounds more pleasant and "crankable" than the 2005 version.
    Slighgtly warmer/richer sounding and less "in your face".
    I also think it sounds more detailed/resolved.

This album is never going to be a favourite of mine in terms of the sound
    but personally i think this upgrade was definately worth it because it's such a classic from a musical standpoint.
    I would love to be able to buy some form of high-res version of this remaster!

I also measured the dynamic range on the 2010 remaster(with the TT DR Offline Meter 1.4)
    and it was DR 14:) (compared to DR9 on the 2005 version).
    Great to see someone taking a stand against Loudness War, isn't it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR13 over -14.82 dB (01)Stranded.wav
    DR15 over -16.77 dB (02)Cryin' All Night.wav
    DR14 over -16.95 dB (03)It Will Be Alright.wav
    DR14 -0.14 dB -16.81 dB (04)Nothin' You Can Do About It.wav
    DR13 over -17.09 dB (05)Should We Carry On.wav
    DR13 -0.00 dB -16.26 dB (06)Leave Me Alone.wav
    DR14 -0.00 dB -16.58 dB (07)Sweet Body.wav
    DR15 over -16.96 dB (08)Bix.wav
    DR13 over -15.87 dB (09)She Waits For Me.wav
    DR14 over -17.17 dB (10)After The Love Is Gone.wav

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR14

==============================================================================================

5. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

Hey!

Thanks for posting that! I have just bought an earlier press of this one - but I don't know which version i'll end up with, I forgot to ask the seller. I gather that there are 2 earlier masterings:

Reissued CD: 1st Reissue: December 5, 1986, BMG Victor, Japan (R32P-1072), 2nd Reissue: December 16, 1990, BMG Victor, Japan (BVCP-5033) 3rd Reissue: <Remastered Version> April 21, 1995, BMG Victor, Japan (BVCP-7378)

Graydon definitly loves his dynamics, he's one of the few guys resisting the loudness wars! So if I end up with the (probably) inferior 1995 issue i'll get the new Graydon remaster... Or I'll just get it anyway.

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Love this thread!:righton: Huge yacht-rock fan here but plenty of new records to discover.

7. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

:righton:

The version I'm about to recieve is the BVCP-5033 from 1990. I guess that is a reissue of the 1986 release, but I have nothing to substantiate that really.

I'll do a quick write-up when I get it, hopefully in a day or two.

8. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Jorge Calderon has recently put a few new songs online as a downloadable single.

"Looking East" by Jackson Browne would be my pick, but given that it is from the mid-90s, does that count? Anyway, Jorge Calderon sings a duet on that album.

9. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

10. Red

Red Forum Resident

Jay Graydon remastered the 2005 version. Did he remaster it again in 2010??

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Being a ONJ diehard fan I sure like Steve Kipner. Very good album IMHO and the japanese mini-vinyl sounds real nice.

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

13. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Rare as hen's teeth, Anton. I've seen it on ebay once or twice with asking prices approaching $150.00.

I have a pristine vinly copy, and it really is great!

This one really tastes like the 70's :) So SMOOOOOOOOOTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xy_EcOd6SQ&feature=related

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'd LOVE to have this record but their name certainly doesn't help. I can't even FIND anything on them not to mention the records on amazon or ebay!:sigh:

16. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

It's tough to locate.

I can tell you this, the album was released in 1979 and the catalog number is UA-LA966-H.

You might be able to squeeze a bit more info from the youtube link. Band member names, etc. As mentioned, I have the LP and would be happy to provide as much information as you need when I get home. Let me know.

PS - Glad you like that one... it's been a favorite of mine for about the past 5 years when I discovered it much by mistake.

17. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

Are you sure? According o Jay's own discography page he remastered the 2010 version (SICP-20249) and wrote liner notes.

18. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

I got my Airplay CD last week and it is the 1990 BMG Japan issue. It sounds fine as expected, but with some very minor tape issues (drop-outs) on Nothing You Can Do About It (my fave track).

I probably will buy the new remaster though - I'm listening to his JaR - Scene 29 cd right now and that sounds great. He also slams the loudnes wars in the liner notes!

1990 cd edition for comparison:

foobar2000 1.1.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-02-27 19:22:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Airplay / Airplay
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 -1.10 dB -16.27 dB 4:28 01-Stranded
    DR14 0.00 dB -17.46 dB 4:48 02-Cryin' All Night
    DR15 0.00 dB -18.40 dB 4:01 03-It Will Be Alright
    DR14 -0.76 dB -18.43 dB 4:48 04-Nothin' You Can Do About It
    DR14 -1.27 dB -19.04 dB 3:47 05-Should We Carry On
    DR13 0.00 dB -17.08 dB 4:36 06-Leave Me Alone
    DR14 -0.04 dB -17.07 dB 4:40 07-Sweet Body
    DR14 0.00 dB -16.80 dB 4:15 08-Bix
    DR14 0.00 dB -18.30 dB 3:41 09-She Waits For Me
    DR14 -1.38 dB -19.91 dB 4:29 10-After the Love is Gone

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 759 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

19. Red

Red Forum Resident

Yes, he remastered it the first time in April 2005 (I own that edition as well as a few other pressings) and again in 2010 it seems. I ordered the 2010 version last week.

20. AORBenny

AORBenny Forum Resident

AOR/Westcoast Great Music

Here´s Some Other Great Stuff:

Bugatti & Musker : The Dukes (1982. wea).
    i-Ten : Taking A Cold Look (1983. Columbia).
    Dwayne Ford : Needless Freaking (1981. Epic)

Take Care

AORBenny

21. I don't know if the Kipner album is "great." The lyrics are pretty slight on that early effort of his. But Jay Graydon's solo in the rideout of the last track is one of THE classic West Coast moments and is truly beautiful.

22. westcoastkid

westcoastkid Forum Resident

Yes I agree, that solo is totally awesome :edthumbs:

But you gotta love the line "Jake is in the control room pushing buttons drinking brew..." :laugh:

23. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Rasputin likes this.
  24. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Picked up the original TEST PRESSING of this album the other day and it is FANTASTIC!

Rick Bowles - Free For The Evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZjiY1hBPI

Imagine Larry from Three's Company mourning another lost love at the Regal Beagle about five vodka gimlets in :)

steelydanguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.