Favourite David Lynch film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chronic kebab, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

Fire Walk With Me. Nothing else comes close.

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I disagree (I voted for Mulholland Dr), but FWWM is incredible and massively under-appreciated. Sheryl Lee gives one of the most powerful, heartbreaking performances I've ever seen in that film.

Did anyone else find that Twin Peaks The Return hugely increased their appreciation of FWWM?

Jazzmonkie, Wounded Land and alexpop like this.
  3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

For me his most emotionally moving, powerful film is "Elephant Man".
    The rest I enjoy buy watch with some detachment.

Probably shouldn't have watched "Eraserhead" on mescaline way back when.
    Awful, ugly experience.

Jimmy B. and Ghostworld like this.
  4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Everyone is a one trick pony, and even more so if you don't care for the trick. Laura Dern gave everything to Inland Empire and of course didn't get nominated, but I think his most conceptually unified movie is Blue Velvet. In their own ways MD LH and IE are all sly, sometimes not so, kiss offs to the movie business. I also think he made the better adaptation of Dune.

5. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

100% yes to all of this.

Phil Tate and Jazzmonkie like this.
  6. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

The first time I saw Eraserhead, I vowed never to watch it again. When new people came into our scene someone would invariably say “have you seen Eraserhead”, so I’ve seen it over and over again. It’s surprising that I’m not in therapy. Since I’ve seen it more than any other David Lynch film, I don’t know if that makes it my favourite or if I’ve developed some psychological issues. Perhaps I should ask the lady in the radiator what she thinks.

7. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

She thinks that
    In Heaven
    Everything is fine.
    You got your good things
    And I've got mine!

8. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

No, but I am not that big on The Return except some episodes. I am glad if it made more people open to the masterpiece that is Fire Walk With Me.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  9. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Fire Walk With Me is a masterpiece. The Return has some staggeringly good parts to it but I think its flawed (much like the origional seasons I supposed, especially the second). I wouldn't argue against anyone saying that Episode 8 of The Return is Lynch's best work.

10. Milk and kisses

Milk and kisses Forum Resident

Lost Highway just edging Fire walk with me, that scene with Robert Blake at the party gives me chills

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I haven't seen "Wild at Heart" for a long time. That was a good one.

Happy to see lots of love for Lynch's "Dune" it may be uneven, but it's has much better "otherworldly" vibe than Villeneuve's "Star Wars Chapter VII."

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You can see he had a hair transplant in "Jackie Brown"

alexpop likes this.
  13. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Having received the Criterion Bluray, I find myself disappointed with the remaster. The AI enhancing has made the image look worse to me. The image doesn't look "natural", if that makes sense. Something is off with the graininess of the film, like they added more artificially but still used DNR in places.

14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Which film?

15. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

My bad, Inland Empire. They managed to make a film that already looked bad look worse.

16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

He even makes reference to it.

17. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

I voted Mulholland Drive.
    Thought I would also take a hard turn into what-if territory.
    This has been extensively reviewed elsewhere, below is an encapsulation.

Mulholland Drive: The Pilot - 1999 / 2016

[​IMG]

Note: Pilot!!!!!
    The pilot, disowned by Lynch for decades, has been available in dismal quality for years.
    Using the original script, and workprints as guides, Faneditor (and obsessed fan) Q2 restored the pilot into immaculate condition.
    Numerous storylines weave a Hollywood entertainment tapestry.
    There are mysteries, though no real story. Viewers had to accept on faith that Lynch had an extended vision.
    Though interesting as a curious what-if, this in no way supersedes Mulholland Drive, the film.
    Character trajectories differ in the pilot, and the open endedness makes one wonder how stories might have played out over a season.

Trailer =

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definitely my favourite Lynch movie. Reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock somehow.. rear window, obsessive voyeuristic.

Jazzmonkie likes this.