Favourite King Crimson singer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Greg Lake, no contest . Just listen to the vocals on Epitaph in the "isolated vocals 2019 mix " . It is not fair to compare him to the others who came after him as he did not sing their parts. But those who sang his parts on the earlier KC LPs could not get close to match him. I was fortunate to Listen to KC on September 29, 2019 during their 50th Anniversary tour. Jakszyk was on vocals.

willy and steve phillips like this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If Greg Lake wasn't a great vocalist, then I don't know who possibly could be.

He had such incredible control and amazing, natural sounding power. He could sing a ballad where you could hear a pin drop or soar above the wildest of electronic rock madness with equal conviction. One of the best singers of the seventies in my book.

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I give the slight edge to Wetton over Lake, just because that is my favorite period of the band. But "Epitaph" is my favorite single song vocal performance.

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Hahaha. Our tastes obviously differ. I agree that Lake was a technically very accomplished singer, but what I am looking for in what I define as a GREAT singer is something very unique. A voice like no other. Even if technically imperfect. I'm thinking of singers like Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Jon Anderson, Ian Anderson, etc. Their music and that of their bands simply loses something or even all of its magic if they are being replaced (though in the case of Gabriel, Collins made a more than valiant effort imo). Greg Lake's voice, with all respect, just doesn't have that kind of uniqueness, for which reason I cannot rate him among the truly great vocalists of his time. But, if for you and millions of others he is, then a big thumbs up! Peace.

5. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Wetton was pretty good at covering Lake, but I can't really say that Lake ever did a very good job of covering Wetton. I don't know if either of them could cover Belew, but I'm sure Jakko can't.

6. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Changed my vote and I'm givin' one for Gordon! Absolutely love Lizard...

Blue Note likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Me too but he phones it in all over that record. Jakko is my fave

TFEC likes this.
  8. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

That was a tough call between Lake and Wetton. Went with Wetton.

MoonPool likes this.
  9. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Greg Lake because the first 2 albums are the best, partly due to him.

stax o' wax likes this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I like all of the singers you mention but to me Lake was as unique as anyone. It was just more in the tone of his voice as opposed to approach. Jon Anderson is similar in this regard, he just has a different timbre.

I don’t think of Lake as a technical singer at all. He just had a very natural sounding voice with tremendous control. Sounded very organic to my ears. Singers like Hammill, Gabriel and even Ian Anderson are more theatrical so it’s kind of apples and oranges. Lake could be theatrical when required; especially when telling a story like with some of ELP’s more humorous stuff.

Anyway, I guess I consider all of these examples as great.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm having a hard time picking between Lake and Wetton. Wetton would be my favorite overall musician of the choices if we were looking at the total package, as his bass playing was just brilliant. Lake probably has the edge over John as KC vocalist, but Wetton's vocals really began to excel around the time of UK/Asia. But I digress- I still have to go with Lake as vocalist with Crimson since that's the topic at hand.

12. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

No real opinion on Burrell or Haskell, they just don’t factor in for me. I like all the other 4, though I did vote Wetton but could have gone with any of them

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Although my favorite era is Wetton’s tenure, I gotta go with Greg Lake.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I do want to give some love to Adrian. He’s often pinned down based on goofier moments, but people forget sometimes how good a singer he actually is.

petem1966 likes this.
  15. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Wetton for me, though a tough call because I also like Belew very much.
    Saw KC with Jakko in Austin a couple of years ago; Jakko's voice completely turns me off of the new material, I think he's such a letdown after a tradition of pretty damb good singers in the band.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I choose Wetton even though I think Lake had a more beautiful sounding voice. I like the fact that Wetton got better with age. But I believe that over the long haul Adrian Belew is the superior vocalist. He is a very strong and powerful singer who has maintained his vocal chops for decades.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

3 way tie between Greg, John and Adrian.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  19. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice to see a close poll and some votes for all of the KC singers!

20. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

John Wetton. And it's not even close. Partly because 1972-1974 is my favourite KC era. But also since I believe Wetton had the perfect raspy baritone. I could listen to him sing nursery rhymes all day long and wouldn't ever get bored...

21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I prefer Burrell to Haskell. His voice sounds more honest. To my ear, the vocals on Lizard are maudlin. (Anderson's guest turn is welcome, but he's too low in the mix, alas.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  22. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Can't choose between Lake and Wetton.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have a hard time finding a preference between Lake, Wetton and Belew, but I find that Jakszyk does all of them (including the others not mentionned) really good.

Scat Rabies likes this.
  24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I love John Wetton, but it can only be Greg Lake for me.

25. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

He was truly rubbish. I’d love to hear that album with a class vocalist: a shame Jon Anderson wasn’t on it all.

John Buchanan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.