Favourite Member of Fairport Convention?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OmIsWhereTheHeartIs, Jan 1, 2021.

1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Wich one of the many box sets?

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love Sandy's music within and without the band but curiously enough, she doesn't appear on any of my top five Fairport albums so I don't necessarily regard her as their heart & soul.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Iain Matthews was a favorite artist of mine in the 70's long before Fariport was on my radar.

For those lovin' Iain the way I have been for 50+ years visit my thread and
    also strongly recommend his "No Grey Faith: Secrets All Told/Songs Of Sandy Denny" (2000).

Rising For The Moon

I'm A Dreamer (guest vocal by Lindsay Gilmour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVNVrNz-Zg&list=PLaaTWyx2_y9aczV-XQkoRURnBSjC45KIi&index=5

:edthumbs: My Iain thread still going strong:

Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

:tiphat:

carlwm and phillyal1 like this.
  4. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Bit late. I like pure musical talent, so I go for Maart Allcock. My favourite FC line up was with him covering many bases. Stunning musician on too many instruments. Very strong instrumental writer too. And sadly missed.

5. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

No music with Dave Mattacks playing drums on it can be bad.

JerryBlue, PJayBe, folkfreak and 2 others like this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

True statement. This album tests my ear's loyalty to the Fairport microverse, but my heart assures me it's a grower. The opening call on song, the cover, and the spirit of the project are all too endearing to abandon. One of these rounds it'll fully click.

shnaggletooth, carlwm and folkfreak like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True indeed.

Including the music he played last night at the Menotomy Grille in Arlington MA, two miles from my house.

anth67, carlwm, Vangro and 2 others like this.
  8. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

One of the youtube comments calls this album, "Liege and Lief, part 2", which isn't too far off. All the FC music and the side-projects I've come across never fail to impress me. It seemed like there was no end to the number of brilliant English folk and folk-rock musicians who took part in these things. Wish there was more early Albion Band material available.

carlwm and folkfreak like this.
  9. folkfreak

It's a fantastic record.
    When I got into Fairport in 1987 on Tull's Crest of a Knave tour it was difficult to find in Germany but a worker in a local record store found me an import of the Hannibal CD and I am in love with it since then...

shnaggletooth, carlwm and chrisblower like this.
  10. chrisblower

I don't know whats happened, but a few years ago I just stopped listening to FC. Now thanks to threads on this site, I'm back in the groove. I've filled in the gaps, bought the last five from Myths and Heroes onwards in the last month. All I've got to do is get to Cropredy again, but I can't this year. Hopefully next year. Fortunately Mrs B loves Fairport as much as me. I have an unworn t-shirt from '97 Cropredy, it's a medium and as yet doesn't fit me, but it will by the time next August comes around.

carlwm and folkfreak like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Glad that you're back on the Fairport Express! Good luck with the T-shirt. :D

chrisblower and folkfreak like this.
  12. chrisblower

If all else fails, I'll hawk it at the weekend. It's a good 'un.

Kiss73 and carlwm like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's not so much Liege as a quintessential Ashley Hutchings album. Many of his further albums continued in this direction, starting with "The Compleat Dancing Master" (better than Morris On, for my money).

If you DO want Liege Part 2, I'd say to go with another Hutchings album-- "Battle of the Field" by the Albion Country Band-- which opens with this classic Thompson song:

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All albums mentioned above are essential listening for folk-rockers, I reckon. Each one is brilliant, in its own way.

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

A seriously good album - love Martin Carthy led Hanged I Shall Be

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Everyone should own this album:

[​IMG]

17. anth67

I'd place No Roses a lot closer to a Liege & Lief part 2 than Morris On (which I hear as lighter fare).

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not so much lighter, I think, as different. Folk-rock against English country dance music. Both great. Son Of Morris On is just as good too, I reckon.

newelectricmuse and anth67 like this.
  19. anth67

Some heavier subject matter on L&L and No Roses, I mean (with requisite minor chords). Not to disparage Morris music or how seriously Ashley approached it. But I admit my ability to appreciate it as a listening experience isn't much developed. I'll try Son Of sometime.

carlwm likes this.
  20. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Anyone have the album Rock On by The Bunch, it included members of Fairport, doing rock classics.

carlwm, folkfreak and phillyal1 like this.
  21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Fun release. The cd reissue had a few bonus tracks.

carlwm likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

carlwm likes this.
  23. folkfreak

It's a great album.
    It was one of the first Fairport Family albums I bought ca 1987/1988 because of Sandy's involvement.