Favourite mix of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

All in the title. I vote for the Detroit Mix. The mix itself maintains that classic Motown separation as well as having a dryer, earthy quality to it, which is how I think of the album regardless. I the the quadraphonic mix is a perfect in-between for either experience. As for the released version, it's absolutely amazing how the rhythms sound so big, given how non-isolated they were on the multitracks.

Anywhoodle, that's my pseudo-musicologist analysis. What do you think?

2. The Detroit Mix is the one I always run toward nowadays, as it is more earthy and aggressive. If I'm just listening to the album casually, I listen to the released version because of its flow and airiness.

3. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

This is the one I turn to. I also have the 1998 version that I have yet to listen to.

[​IMG]

TLMusic and rxcory like this.
  4. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

L.A. Mix.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The original Detroit Mix.

jvcforce and Mal like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That'd be it. Best sounding of them all, mastered from a genuine Motown 15 ips non-Dolby EQ cutting dub by the great Tom Baker..

7. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

TBH it's the default LA mix - but now someone's "axed" the question, I'm going to go and listen to the Detroit mix with wears wide open. While not really a "mix", my second favourite way to hear this album is the live recording on the Deluxe edition, even though it is performed Side 2/Side 1.
    DD

8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

+1. This is the L.A. mix, the album mix as it was released. This is the best sounding digital version of this album ever IMO.

RomanBlade likes this.
  9. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Interestingly, the CD insert credits John Matousek as mastering the Motown Compact Classic disc of What's Going On. Tom Baker is credited as mastering the What's Going On/Let's Get It On two-fer CD.

Both of the above CDs were mastered from the EQ cutting dub and both sound better than more recent remasters that were mastered from the original master tape.

10. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

How many versions of this song exist? I seem to have several -- stereo, mono, different intros etc.

11. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The original album mix is my favourite. I have them both. Love the album!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

If this is the definitive CD version, what's the equivalent on vinyl? I browsed some threads about it but there seems to be no consensus.

I'm tempted to buy the 40th anniversary set with the Detroit mix LP. Can anyone comment on the sq of that one please?

I voted Detroit mix as I prefer the segues from the title track into What's Happening Brother (sounds like it was meant to be that way) and the segue into Mercy, Mercy Me (ditto).

13. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I love both mixes. Detroit and the regular album mix.

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I saw a thread that recommended a Japanese 200 g version and the original German vinyl pressing. Did you get an answer, or buy one you really like ? Cheers.

To answer the OP question, I prefer the original still, and also really like the Kennedy Centre, DC live version very much too.

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

What about the original MONO single mix from 1970, released early 1971? It's like a combination of the Detroit and LA mix and has a fake ending to boot.

16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The thread title should clarify whether we are discussing the single or the album. I assume the OP means the latter, but the mono 45 mix was my first thought when I read the title.

17. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I can't open the pic--which one is this?

18. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

[​IMG]

FashionBoy likes this.
  19. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Thanks-I have this and agree it is sweet. I have a few more versions, including the recent package with the Detroit mix on vinyl--it's not bad and I listen to it now and then.

20. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

So this is the definitive version of this album, the consensus best mastering? For every other album of his, what should i get?

21. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would recommend the Special (expanded) editions.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  22. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

I have the early What'sG.O./LetsG.I.O. cd 2-fer. Is that the same mastering as this? If not I'm willing to give this a try, should be pretty cheap to pick up once I run into a copy.
    That said, I love the Detroit mix and I will likely prefer it no matter how good the sound quality is for any L.A. mix version. But there is no reason I can't enjoy both for a great album like this.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  23. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

IIRC, it has been established on the Forum that the 2-fer, while good, is different from the Motown WGO cd. I have both and will try a play-off later this week, if no one else steps forward as already having done so. As for the Detroit, I think the only vinyl is on the recent deluxe package-got it and enjoy it.

24. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Both mixez were released on CD? If so, where?

25. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Is the Detroit mix the original? Any major difference in the Detroit mix?

Last edited: May 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.