Favourite Olivia Newton-John Album Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

The Apple Studio at 3 Savile Row officially opened during the fall of 1971 (prior to that the Beatles did do some recording for Let It Be there using borrowed studio equipment, but it wasn't open to other artists). The studio was closed in 1975, so presumably the recording was made during the early 70s?

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

If anybody could narrow down the time frame it would be Beatles/Apple Records experts. A hardcore fan might know exactly when that record label was created. Post it on one of the myriad of Beatles threads!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Rosewater turned up on her Music Makes My Day album which was released at the beginning of 1974, so probably.

fsutall likes this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

So... Sometime between 71-73 ish? Probably 71 I'd imagine.

5. Bobby Morrow

Maybe. When she was shopping around for a record deal after Toomorrow?

David Campbell likes this.
  6. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I'm not the biggest expert on ONJ. Where can I hear her version? I have been totally enamored with this song ever since I heard it in the Magnum P.I. episode where he almost dies from a gun shot wound. I would love to hear Olivia sing this.

7. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Just do a search on YouTube. There should be several videos containing the song.

Blimpboy likes this.
  8. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Physical is a masterwork! So many great cuts. I think the huge hit title track may have actually detracted people from hearing how great the whole album is.

9. Bobby Morrow

Yes, it's YouTube or nothing.:) Olivia's version is beautiful but was some reason it was left in the vaults for almost 35 years until it was included on her 2010 Japanese boxset. It was also included on the SHM CD version of Don't Stop Believin' which was released around the same time. This is now obviously OOP, though you may be able to find a copy online should you want a physical copy.

Blimpboy likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Love Landslide...much better than Physical imo. Agree...great album.

11. Bobby Morrow

I agree with that.

Jrr likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Boy how I hated her version...went right to youtube to listen as I thought her version would be amazing. Love Denver's version of the song though, maybe that's the problem? A rare misstep for her but I'm glad others like it. Guess you can't please everyone. What a great era for music...sure miss it.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Amazing Bobby...this thread just keeps going and going! Just listened to Magic on GH2 last night, after trying to listen to it on Xanadu. Neither sounds very good on my vinyl copies and you know I don't do digital.. Have any suggestions?

14. Bobby Morrow

I'm strictly CD, but it sounds good on the Japanese Xanadu soundtrack and US Back To Basics comp to me.

John Adam likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Is this a Mastering Lab copy (TML in the dead area, not just the liner notes)? My LP sounds very good...

16. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

'It's About Time We Had A New Album From ______'
    If Olivia sees this she is going to have you sit in the corner and write, "I Honestly Love You" a thousand times! :winkgrin:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Apple Studio had had a shaky start in January of 1969, it was used by the Beatles to record the Let It Be album (using recording equipment sent over from EMI), but was quickly shut down so Geoffrey Emerick could rebuild it from scratch.

From Apple Corps - Wikipedia : "The studio reopened on 30 September 1971" and "Apple Studio was closed down for good on 16 May 1975".

Apple Records had a mastering service from around 1968 through at least 1974 Apple Acetates Archives - Tracks .

The most well-known mastering engineer was the great George Peckham http://www.apcor.net/porky/. He was there from 1968 until spring 1973.

It's entirely possible that Olivia recorded at Apple, but more likely that an acetate was pressed there from recordings made elsewhere.

Jarleboy and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.