Favourite Spinal Tap Album? [poll]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Day_Tripper2019, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Not to focus too much on their band name(s), but in hindsight it’s baffling how territorial and strict artists were in the 60’s when it came to originality. When the wah-wah pedal came, guitarists felt that they couldn’t use it because that was Eric Clapton’s trademark, and since Jimmy Page was the only one with a fuzz box, he had to actually play on your record if you wanted to use that.

That taken into consideration, just imagine how they felt about names. I mean, you simply could not be called the same as another group - or even something close to it. I recently heard an interview with Paul Stratford of the freakbeat-group The Frequent, and they had to change their name because they were sued by a band called The Numerous. They lost all momentum and broke up. It was crazy, and really puts into perspective just how controversial naming yourselves The New Originals was back in '64. Remember, this was years before The New Yardbirds etc., and was most likely a deliberately calculated and defiant move to provoke and upset the "other" Originals - and the establishment in general. A wild proto-punk move by the Tap that probably frightened The Originals into changing their name to The Regulars instead of taking them to court.

But it was even worse for solo artists. They used to change their legal names all the time (or lie - re:Bob Dylan) until David Jones (after having been sued by both Davie and Davy Jones) came up with the idea of using a pseudonym. You may like or dislike "David Bowie"’s music, but that was a landmark achievement on a purely humanitarian (and judicial) level.

Hammerhead and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  2. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Smell the Glove.
    There is none blacker.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  3. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

LOL

4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I remember going to the record store asking for those albums.
    "Hi I would like to order "The sun never sweats" by Spinal Tap please"

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

You forgot 'Brain Hammer'.

6. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

The reissues of Spinal Tap's catalog on CD over the years are perhaps the only albums who's sound quality was improved by brickwalling.

ARK, Sluggy, Hammerhead and 1 other person like this.
  7. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

No favourite - all of them ruined by Dobly.

kevin5brown, CoachD, Sluggy and 3 others like this.
  8. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Shark Sandwich all the way, their absolute creative peak before their disintegration due to muscular indifferences.

9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'm surprised some group hasn't recorded their own versions of these classic non-existent albums. I nominate Steel Panther to at least write and record "Throb Detector".

10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

You mean these aren't in existence? :confused: :winkgrin:

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  11. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

They could be found most of the time in the 80s, in the budget priced bins and in gas stations.

citizensmurf likes this.
  12. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

I'll admit that 1976's Tap Dancing, their foray into disco and glam/dance has always been a guilty pleasure for me.

Hammerhead, Dingo and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  13. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

The Sun Never Sweats or GTFO. Much like Kiss’ Music from The Elder, only the true Tap fan gets this one. It’s deep. It contains multitudes. The critics couldn’t possibly understand an album this complex. Also, they’re a bunch of jealous doo-doo heads.

CoryS and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  14. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Echoing what Ian stated in his interview with "Marty" Di Bergi, don't listen to ANYONE who tries to convince you that the Smell The Glove tour wasn't successful just because they were playing 1,200-1,500 seat arenas and not 12,000-15,000 arenas, like they were in the '70s! They were being selective about what audiences they wanted to play for! :tsk:

Sluggy and boggs like this.
  15. R79

R79 Forum Resident

I've been a big Spinal Tap fan since the release of their 1980 release Shark Sandwich. Before that I didnt understand any of their work, it was too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Shark Sandwich that Derek Smalls' presence became more apparent. I think Smell the Glove is the group's undisputed masterpiece.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I know it's a ton of work and those guys have other things to do, but I always wished they had picked a few of the key album titles and released full albums with those titles, covers and the songs that were supposedly from them. And use a producer who cared enough to try to recreate the production style of the era they were supposed to be recorded in. Would be brilliant even all of the songs might not be.

17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Who says they haven't ? ;)

18. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

The threatened “Burning of the Vinyl” protests played a big part in the change of mind

boggs and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I have that one in Marbled vinyl. Its heavy man, I’m still trying to get it off the turntable.

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I voted for Glove!
    Giving that I can't track down a promo press...wonder if a one step or UHQR reissue is out of the question?
    :pineapple:

Moonbeam Skies and ceddy10165 like this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

As a fan, I never agreed with the reviews of Shark Sandwich on its release. To me it was an instant and enduring classic.

Devotional, Moonbeam Skies and boggs like this.
  22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I know it’s an unpopular opinion on this board, but my favorite version of Flower People is the US Duophonic with extra reverb.

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I know We Are All Flower People is often derided for a growing pains sophomore effort but I feel like it was a last gasp of creativity, with their big early hit out of the way they could explore an album oriented psychedelic sound. I love their frequent use of the theremin. Nigel claims it is the first rock opera, predating SF Sorrow, about the day in the life of a man who eats a cake, reads a book in the rain, walks in the park, rides an elephant in Africa, pulls a prank on a cop, becomes a cat, chases a hot chick on skiis, tends a lonely lighthouse, plays bridge with the Queen, trips on acid and then watches the sunrise in the west. Although some claim that is a tenuous way to connect what is essentially a bunch of separate songs.

But do avoid the mono release. They literally took the left channel of the hard panned stereo release and used that for the mono. This means one of the hardest rockers on the stereo version becomes an acapella song with some extremely loud tambourine on the mono version, and another song which had 2 different vocals panned hard left and right singing questions and answers to each other on the stereo version now simply just has the answers. Kinda strange when all you hear is "yes I would........he ran into the bloke......10 past 2.......armadillo.........I won't do that."

Too bad the band dove into brain numbing hard rock and then jumped the shark (sandwich.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  24. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I'm still pissed they weren't on one of the Live Aid bills.

Intravenus De Milo, btw.

ARK, Moonbeam Skies and boggs like this.
  25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Yes, but few people realize it was mastered specifically for Dobly-enabled receivers.

ceddy10165 and boggs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.