Favourite Spinal Tap Album? [poll]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Day_Tripper2019, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I have a Japanese smh-cd paper sleeve edition of Intravenous. Sounds like it’s mastered a bit quiet, but it has a dr of 1,000,000 so I’m a not quite sure I’m what to think.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  2. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

On what day did God create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day instead?

boggs likes this.
  3. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

Sadly, I approve of this thread!

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sex-IST!

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

How loud do you turn it up?

Gus Tomato and boggs like this.
  6. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

It's their most lukewarm album out of the lot, balanced perfectly between fire and ice.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Slick Willie and pool_of_tears like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

But it had nothing to do with the band.

9. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

I don't see a choice for the Rock and Roll Creation LP, one of their best.

[​IMG]

lucan_g likes this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Best new thread I've seen on this place in quite a while. Finally something we can all get behind.

11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

how about a poll of their real albums....that'd make sense!

12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

That would be The Gospel According to Spinal Tap.

lucan_g and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  13. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Oh, the irony!

Obligatory Spinal Tap quote - 'There's such a fine line between stupid and clever'

boggs and Dingo like this.
  14. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I always thought that Brain Hammer was their Deep Purple In Rock. A change in direction to extreme heaviness and brutality.

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

TMOQ - Free Form Jazz Exploration

16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I see you beat me to it

17. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Spinal Tap A to Zed
    [​IMG]

Rock ’n Roll Creation
    (Megaphone, 1977): Tap ventures into heavy metal tunes with religious themes. According to a review read to the band by Marty DiBergi during "This is Spinal Tap": "This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?' " Official band biographer scoffs: "Score one for the bean-counters. A shoddy collection of rejected tracks after the band's much publicized lawsuit against Megaphone." Includes off-key version of Tap's rarely performed punk song, "Young, Smug and Famous." No rating. (IST) Title song rereleased on 1984 soundtrack album. Mistakenly referred to by DiBergi in documentary by its working title, "The Gospel According to Spinal Tap." The band would later concede that the album had been "underlooked, underbought and underrecorded." It also revealed that the album originally had been scheduled to be recorded using 16 tracks, but that an engineer at the recording studio sold four of the tracks to another band. (DV)

18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

“The mule died, the mule died, the little mule died ....”

I can’t help but feel the full potential of this heart-wrenching demo has gone un-Tapped. I’d love to see them expand it into a full-length rock opera. Or maybe just the soundtrack to one of those daytime TV adverts, where they run a guilt trip on pensioners to give money to mistreated donkeys.

TheLazenby and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  19. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Speaking of getting behind things , I didn't see any love for Big Bottom ?
    If it was good enough for Soundgarden, it's good enough for me !

20. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

As a side note, the BBC have been interviewing musicians and artists over the past year about how they’ve been coping with the corona/lockdown-situation, and Matt Everett had Nigel Tufnel on last week for a short interview, where they also briefly touched on Spinal Tap.

Nigel hasn’t heard from David or Derek in a while, but the uplifting news is that he has been doing a lot of research, which bodes well for a future Tap-record:

Everett: When you do your research, and especially during lockdown, I suppose it can be challenging to find that sort of information online. Because it’s not just available to the public for free, is it?

Nigel: Well, no. But it has a trial period.

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

You're missing a few. ;)

22. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Wow, that's interesting. There were a lot of promo copies with an actual glove that didn't smell anything. I could never understand why, but maybe this was down to a manufacturing error, and a batch of sleeves got the smell instead of the gloves?

I bought my promo copy on eBay some ten years ago, and it doesn't have a glove or a scratch & sniff sleeve, but it is pressed on Quiex II vinyl, and interestingly Quiex I was the first - and to the best of my knowledge only scratch & sniff vinyl formula (which explains why they never turn up in more than fair to good condition on Discogs etc.), and I wouldn't be surprised if Tap didn't even know about the move to Quiex II, leading to yet another disappointment in an already difficult campaign.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.