Favourite vinyl version/pressing of Abbey Road?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Are there any big differences in sound between all the -2/-1 pressings from different geographical locations or is it more or less the same? Any one in particular jumps out in terms of being quieter than the rest?

Has anybody heard of the South African pressing? I read it may sound warmer than the UK but info on that is hard to come by.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

3. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

-2 / -1 Australian from UK metal, I'm done on that one mate !

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

MFSL for me.

john lennonist and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have not heard a South African pressing of AR.

I've found no difference in SQ amongst the various -2/-1 pressings from different countries. I'd go for the cleanest copy that is the most reasonably priced.

Aftermath and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

I agree, the Marconi definitely isn't a -2/-1. Sound quality is ok but is noticeably more dull than a UK.

If I had to choose just one pressing, I'd say the Pro-use. I wouldn't say it's "better" than the UK but a different experience.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I found the standard Japanese issues (AP and EAS) both sounded better than the Pro-use, which wasn't bad, but It didn't engage me like the others.

My favourites are still the UK HTM -4/-3 with the -2/1 a very close second.

8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I bought 3 of them. A few years ago my local record store was selling them for £10. Each time I saw a near mint one I bought it. There is some variation. Misaligned apple on one. Black inner on another. I notice they now want £50, though.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have a very early US pressing of the album.
    The cover sleeve is accurate (not cropped as on later pressings). The sound of the vinyl is amazing! Love it.

Think this is the one I have: The Beatles - Abbey Road
    The artist/album title on the label is different placed and slightly larger than on the LA pressing. So, probably pressed in Scranton.

10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I had a -2/-1 and while it was an upgrade from all the other (US) copies I had, I wasn't blown away by it.

When I got a -4/-3 it was pretty jaw dropping how good it sounds.

WayneC, JP Christian and DK Pete like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What's the label of your -4/-3 ? I'm recently discovering how great the large-dome purple Capitols are sounding.

12. AppleCorp3

It's a UK pressing on Apple.

The best sounding US label I have is the small dome purple label.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I believe the small domes were digital from the latter 80's. I just checked my U.K. Apple...it's a -4/-2u; the different combinations on these things is dizzying.

Rickchick likes this.
  14. AppleCorp3

There was a run of small dome albums released just prior to the digital ones. I have a few from this run, they're hard to find (of course I was buying them at the time without any forethought!).

I should double check my UK copy as it might be a -4/-2U and I was mistaken. As you say, dizzying! But regardless, those 2nd and 3rd pressings are amazing.

15. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

The original Japan AP-8815 is really good - the red/burgundy one. The repress of AP-8815 - think from '73 wasn't as good - I've sold both of these and have the standalone MFSL en route. I'm really hoping this isn't going to upset me as much as Sticky Fingers did...

16. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

UK original for me, probably the easiest to find original Beatles LP, in the UK at least

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Vinyl UK original

CD black triangle.

The toshiba black triangle version of ABbey road is my favorite sounding CD of all time.

18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Yes, that's the -4/-3 HTM cut, should have a fully laminated sleeve, vinyl is thinner than the original but it's my go-to copy usually.

19. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

I just found a clean Abbey Road at a local store for $16. Just looked it up in Discogs and it is apparently this The Beatles - Abbey Road The runout is a little different than what it says.

Mine is: 383-1-2s A4/C with a stamped R which apparently comes from Rockaway in New Jersey

Turntable isn't set up yet so I don't know how it sounds. I bought this instead of seeking out a 2012 rerelease. Good move?

20. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

These are the Harry Moss ones that go through the early '80s, right?

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I believe so -- with HTM in the deadwax.

Fritz G23 likes this.
  22. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

I just acquired a nice UK Abbey Road-4/-3 HTM. I haven’t had a chance to clean and play the LP yet but was wondering if anyone else with a -4/-3 has “HTM” etched on each side — my copy only has HTM on Side B, and the runout is pretty narrow on Side A for the etching. Thanks to all! (Happy Friday !)

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The initials should either be on every -4 side A or no -4 side A.

topekatj likes this.
  24. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply! So if i understand correctly, a “-4” side1 with HTM initials doesn’t exist?

Anyone else care to comment?