Favourite vinyl version/pressing of Abbey Road?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

As far as I know Harry T. Moss (HTM) has been mastering Beatles and other records long before he started placing his initials on the dead wax. In other words - even if his initials missing it still could be mastered by him.

john lennonist, hi_watt and vudicus like this.
  2. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Thank you, @Cronverc, I guess that I’m stubbornly attempting the confirm whether or not someone in the Hoffman universe has seen a copy of Abbey Road with -4 and HTM on Side 1. The version I purchased appears to be this one:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

I realize that Discogs is not definitive but this entry seems to suggest that a -4 HTM version exists. I have other ‘70’s and ‘80’s Beatles vinyl with HTM on each side (SPLHCB, LIB). I’m hoping to confirm that I have a copy of “the best 2nd best” pressing of AR. Thank for your patience!

3. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

It seems that a "regular" version (black vinyl) of the original 1969 Japan AP-8815 was pressed:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

I own it, but I cannot say if it's different from the red/burgundy one.

john lennonist and Adamski777 like this.
  4. I can confirm my -4/-3 also only has HTM etched into side 2.

topekatj likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It shouldn’t. His initials would have been inscribed on the lacquer itself, so all -4’s would either have his initials or they wouldn’t. It is possible - and it does happen - to make additional inscriptions or imprints later on individual stampers, but that wasn’t really the M.O. of Harry Moss (or cutting engineers generally).

I wouldn’t worry about the initials. It was likely cut by him and he simply didn’t initial that cut. If you really need to satisfy the urge, try find a pic of the master tape box for Abbey Road. You might be able to confirm he checked it out to cut that -4 lacquer.

john lennonist and topekatj like this.
  6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

"HTM" '75 '76 '78 '81

[​IMG]

john lennonist and topekatj like this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I actually have (2) copies of this pressing and in my opinion, think it's the best. I bought the first copy new when Abbey Road was first released. For some reason, the record stores in the LA area stocked the UK version before the US version was pressed. The UK was all they had for a few weeks(I don't know the reason for that). The second copy I have I found at a swap meet. It didn't have a jacket and was exposed to the sunlight. I didn't think it would be worth a @#$%, but I paid the 50 cents for it anyway. Miraculously it plays pretty well. A few little pops here and there, but way better than I thought it would be. You just never know.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your insights!

9. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Assumptions are dangerous, but I would assume the black vinyl version must be very similar. Sadly I don't have the burgundy one anymore for checking the deadwax, but I'd be interested to know.

Funi likes this.
  10. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested too.

11. Louis

Louis Well-Known Member

Hi, when was the HTM -4/-3 release? When I search it up I get a release from 1976. Is this the correct one?

The Beatles - Abbey Road

12. Yes that is the one. I believe there is also a German version that is the same pressing.

Gordon Shumway likes this.
  13. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

This Discogs entry led me to inquire about the Side 2 HTM initially. But it seems no one has ever seen HTM etched on Side 2 (or HAVE they?)

14. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Don't believe everything you read at Discogs, it's awash with errors unfortunately.

For the late 1976 -4/-3 pressing cut by Moss, he only signed Side 2, as others have already reported.
    For the 1978 green vinyl export pressing, he also only signed Side 2.
    For the late 1981 -6/-4 pressing, he only signed Side 1.

15. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Correction, I meant to inquire “Has anyone seen HTM on Side A?”

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’ve already asked this question and it’s been answered.

17. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

19. tjannace

is that bad? only $20. i think originals are way more in nm condition

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s the Beatles. You can find pretty much any opinion you want about it if you look for it.

IMO, it is what it is. Could be worse, but it’s nothing to write home about.

tjannace likes this.
  21. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

So forget the original, any UK 1970s reissue sounds good enough, much better than 2012 digitally sourced reissue. And they can be found for much less than original.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. tjannace

hmm really? good info

I have a purple label let it be repress that sounds fantastic

23. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Quick question: Would a Pathe Macroni UK export (using the -2/-1 master) sound better than a 70's UK pressing?

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s the same thing simply pressed at a different plant. Any differences would be attributable to the eqpt there, the vinyl quality, etc.

I don’t have any Pathe Marconi pressings so I can’t comment on the quality of pressings coming from there. But I’m sure a search would provide some info.

And technically it’s not a UK export, but rather a UK import. UK export LPs were pressed in the UK for distribution elsewhere.

25. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I own a few Abbey's. More than I thought originally, I remember doing a deep dive on this subject on the forums years ago and snatching up a lot of different pressings. I own:

UK -2/-1 (1969)
    UK -4/-2u (1978?)
    Australia - -2/-1 (1969)
    Japan - EAS (1976)
    Germany - 1-A/A-1 (1969)

Now I don't own the Japanese Pro-Use or AP, the MFSL, or a UK HTM cut but I have heard all of them. Still for my collection my favorite by far is the 1978 -4/-2U. Side 2 in particular is amazing.

Rickchick and AppleCorp3 like this.