Favourite vinyl version/pressing of Abbey Road?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 21, 2017.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It does have a good deal of bottom but it's clean...it's more "punch" than "bottom".

MarcTheMusician and Chris Schoen like this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It sounds awesome through my Klipsch Hereseys, I will say that. :righton:

3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It's not that it has too much 'bottom' - it has had the mid-range sucked out of it - the trend back then was a more 'coloured' sound than natural sound, i.e. slight boosted top and bottom and a reduced mid-range - 'Smiley EQ' is what it is also referred to as - standard hi-fi kit back then favoured a more 'coloured' sound.

Life may be too short but I remember even on my modest system thinking how disappointed I was when I bagged a MFSL - found it thin and lacking compared to my UK -4/-3 and French Pathe-Marconi at the time, very detailed but not terribly vibrant. It is however, better than an original US Capitol so that's something...

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

+1 for Toshiba Pro-Use EALF. Nice tight bass, clear as a bell vinyl, the cymbals extend to a nice diminuendo. Quite pleasing, IMO. This is a prime example how good Japanese vinyl can sound without sounding thin. I think that is a common blanket assumption that all Japanese vinyl sounds thin.

Munger74 and MGM like this.
  5. CitizensForBoysenberryJam

CitizensForBoysenberryJam Forum Resident

I’ve spun my French for UK a ton since I’ve gotten it. It’s become a reference record for me and one I show my system off with for friends (side 2 is such a spectacle and it always impresses!) I highly recommend seeking one of these out, I haven’t yet compared it with anything else and I’m not sure I really care to as I’m very happy with this sound.

6. Chris Schoen

Sounds fine to me. Probably my speakers make up for it (Heresys are very "mid-rangy") In any case, I have a Schiit Loki equalizer that comes in handy for anything that needs it. I know how much difference a great pressing can make though.
    A few years ago I searched and finally found a nice UK pressing of Fleetwood Mac's "Future Games". It was a revelation.

JP Christian likes this.
  7. peter

peter Senior Member

Mid to late 70's -4/-2U. Really warm, full, lush, with a nice bass sound/feel to it.

8. peter

peter Senior Member

Just add a UK Bare Trees, Kiln House and Then Play On (black cover or orig. gatefold) and you will be even happier.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Ya, would be nice to find those as well. :righton:

10. peter

peter Senior Member

Aside from the UK tri color TPO, I think the others are not that hard to find online. Just be mindful that the original catalogue numbers
    for TPO and KH begin with RSLP, NOT "K." The original cat. nos for FG and BT do begin with the letter "K."

Nonetheless, the single sleeve, black cover "K" edition of TPO (14 tracks) sounds fantastic, as does the "K" version of KH. Orig. UK KH's had a gatefold cover, later ones did not. Same for the insert; origs. had one, later ones not. be careful of someone putting a U.S. insert in the UK album. The orig. KH UK inserts had the RSLP cat. no on them and are of a different paper stock than the U.S.

black sheriff and Chris Schoen like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ze best.

12. Chris Schoen

Wow. A wealth of vinyl knowledge there. Thanks.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You have a good sounding UK Bare Trees? My US sounds so much better -unlike Future Games unfortunately.

14. peter

peter Senior Member

Never had a U.S. Bare Trees.

chacha likes this.
  15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Just had my early '80s Capitol rainbow label of Abbey Road out for a spin a few days ago, and it's awfully nice.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I have three vinyl copies:
    -Chilean original. Good , but far from great.
    -Mofi. I don’t like it
    -Blue box from the 80’s . Of those I have it , my choice to go

ODShowtime likes this.
  17. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I have a few copies of AR on vinyl and I’d like to know if the same flaw appears on all US pressings (my copy is from LA, late 60’s/early 70’s): one minute approx. before the end of I Want You, the left channel goes blank for a second or so, then music comes back. I noticed it with headphones. Has any of you noticed it before?

18. peter

peter Senior Member

Indeed. Do you have rainbow reissue of Hey Jude or the White Album? Wait till you hear those...

monomusic, JamesD1957 and Ben Adams like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yes, I've got the Hey Jude. It's lovely. Used to have a White Album that looked minty, but it had tons of surface noise that wouldn't clean off, so I traded it in - however, I could tell it was a good mastering. Picked them all up around six or seven years ago.

These all give the lie to the idea that there aren't good-sounding US versions. There just aren't good-sounding originals on US Apple, or orange Capitol.

peter likes this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Will the forthcoming Giles Martin remix end up being the new favourite. If its as well received as The White Album remix, it could be interesting...

21. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I have the UK HTM 1981 -6/-4 pressing. Has anyone compared this to earlier UK pressings? I bought it sealed and it sounds quite nice to me, though it is the only version I own aside from the original CD.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It all depends on whether John's switch click is kept in. :laugh:

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

1987 CD

24. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

In regards to the Jp pressings, why do you think they are not as good as the UK -2 -1? They used the UK cutting and on what I would assume to be superior vinyl. The Jp release with the thin obi and the round apple are the originals. Both red and black wax. The second version with the wide obi and the AP-8815 catalogue number, I have never been sure about. Because it has the same cat no., it should be the same plates.

I have a red copy that was said to be "VG+-EX-" and it is in absolutely horrible condition. To add to all the noise, it has heavy groove wear on the first side. Amazingly enough, the second side although equally appalling condition, has not a lot of noise in the quiet sections. Even eith the groove wear and noise it still smokes the 2012!
    Just one of the reasons I love Jp pressings from original cutting plates. Another reason the '82 red mono records sound so good, they were UK cuttings on amazing (if slightly thin) Jp vinyl.

I am still on the look out for an Oz '69 pressing that is in mint condition. The 69 pessings sjould be on nice thick vinyl. Too bad they want a small fortune extra for very first presses thanks to an ink error :rolleyes:

MGM likes this.
  25. peter

peter Senior Member

Precisely. The BEST (BY FAR!) sounding versions of the U.S. albums are the 1983 rainbow re-issues. All mine are pressed at Specialty and have vinyl that shines like glass. RS, Rev. and Pepper are wonderful too.

Ben Adams likes this.