Fear The Walking Dead - amc Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Tonight's the night!

Hawkeye and Scope J like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

:goodie:

Encuentro likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I had totally forgotten about it until I saw something posted on Facebook.

Scope J likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

CSI: Walking Dead
    CSI: Fear The Walking Dead
    CSI: Fear The Walking Dead In Space

DLD likes this.
  5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Pretty sure that last one is CSI: Fear the Floating Dead.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'll never forget where I was on this day.

After two seasons, The Walking Dead series went from being fun to the cast grating on me the the surviviors of the Poseidon Adventure.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, the story needs some fresh blood. It's gotten rather stale.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

hesitant in investing time in this, but I'm damn curious! Thanks for the reminder.

9. Well that was... dull.

10. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'm sure you mean dull and Meh as in "Epic"! I'm on the west coast, so I still have an hour and a half to wait!

BTW You realize if my avatar was on the show as a Walker, they could save a tone of money on effects.

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

It was OK. Hope it gets much better.

Pat

vegafleet likes this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

It was OK, that about sums it up.

14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

28 Days Later-like music theme got annoying.
    Red herrings with loud build up music were insulting (notably the principal in the office scene).
    Felt very slow and drawn out (but the alternative would be criticizing them for not developing characters, I guess).

I'll stick with it but it wasn't a great start. Walking Dead grabbed you from the beginning, this one feels like it is a long drawn out tease of stuff we already know.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I say enough with the drugged out kid already.

Pat

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

seems like my assumption may be correct...there's only one walking dead...knockoffs rarely work when the original is so strong.

spewey likes this.
  17. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I dislike this family so much...I want them all to get eaten.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The best thing about that episode was hearing "Summer's Almost Gone" by The Doors playing in the diner!

19. Dr. Pepper

I thought even before the song that the episode really had a doors vibe. The beginning with the character waking up and walking around without much of a shirt on reminded me of Jim Morrison and especially Val Kilmer's performance as Jim Morrison. Also the scene on Venice Beach echoed Jim and Ray meeting on Venice Beach. I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if when we see the first Walker going after the main cast "Hello I Love You" was playing in the background or "This is the end, beautiful friend..."

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

My son and I loved it, but my daughter thought it was slow moving. We thought, you only get one shot at portraying normalcy and how the family functions, there is plenty of time for all hell to break loose.

21. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

In the UK, only BT customers will be able to see it since it was too expensive for our major channels. So, I'm glad it was crap and I hope they get a lot of grief.

Greedy sods.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Even though I thought it to be on the 'slow' side, it occurs to me that to 'speed' it up, to bring on the walkers, would make the show into TWD west. It'll be interesting to see how they avoid this from happening. But Kirkman's an incredible writer so I'm hangin', for now.

23. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

As much as I really love Walking Dead, I feel like the show gets pretty boring at times.

Not that I want non stop action, but My biggest memories of the show, are people aimlessly walking along railroad tracks that look quite well manicured!:angel:

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  24. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

The whole time I kept thinking how the lead actress reminds me of Vicki Peterson of the Bangles.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

As the “Honest Trailer” for “The Walking Dead” pointed out, and I’m paraphrasing, the original “TWD” is good but inconsistent to the point where it’s the show that “you have to keep talking yourself into watching” as time goes by.

Already working from that deficit, “Fear the Walking Dead” is kind of a diluted version of that. Obviously, it’s *very* early, and I wonder now if the Six-Episode super short season is more about keeping strong ratings with the hype and then having an opportunity early on after only six episodes to re-tool and reconfigure things. (Yes, I'm aware the original show had a six-episode first season, so they may just be following that pattern for the same reasons.)

There are some aspects to this new show that I can’t complain about, because they’re built into the premise. Is it a knock-off? Of course. But any show branded with the same “Walking Dead” title is going to be that. At least this isn’t like the million other actual knock-offs of post-apocalyptic or disease-infused shows that were either developed as a “Dead” knock-offs, or took previously-written material that got green-lit because of the “Walking Dead.” “Helix”, “Falling Skies”, “Under the Dome”, “The Strain”, “The Last Ship”, etc. in that “Fear the Walking Dead” is literally a spin-off that really is in the same “universe.”

I’ll even cut the show some slack concerning the fact that the audience is “ahead” of the characters as far as knowing more than they do about the outbreak. But hopefully they won’t linger on this. It’s a bit like watching “Beneath the Planet of the Apes”, where the first part is just waiting for James Franciscus to learn everything in the same order that Charlton Heston did in the first film.

But I’m finding the cast at first glance rather inconsistent. It’s veering about 5 to 10 percent towards “Under the Dome” status. The lead actress seems like an okay actress, but she’s a continuation of the “Dead” franchise’s weird predilection for writing really extra grating, annoying female characters. Several times I got a “Lori” vibe from her, and that’s not good less than an episode in. She’s already inconsistent, telling her daughter to stop being so negative about the drug-addled son. Yet, when she’s talking to her new boyfriend and he tries to validate what the son saw, she tells the boyfriend that he’s essentially an idiot and soon after basically indicates she doesn’t even know if she wants to help her son anymore. I get it, this is the up and down that happens when trying to help someone with an addiction. But she’s come across as too flip-floppy and wishy-washy so early on, and has been saddled with the distinction of having to be the requisite character that tells the “kid who actually already knows it’s a zombie outbreak” that he’s an idiot and everything will be fine. Again, people would be truly be thinking and saying that. But they’re saddling her character with too much unlikeability at this early stage.

I would also agree I found the music to be distracting in the episode, like they’re going out of their way to make it sound different than the main show. Which is weird, because in other ways they’re very much branding it as identical to the main show, such as the same font for opening titles and same type of logo, etc.

As an aside, it’s ironic that as uneven as the show is, I’d argue that a “Talking Dead” show for “Fear the Walking Dead” would be more useful, as there’s actually more to *talk* about and guess about and analyze. Whereas, when it comes to the main “TWD” show, the “Talking Dead” episodes have devolved into mostly restating the obvious themes and plot points of each episode, punctuated with awful interstitial bits and cast stories of how much of a genius the writers and special effects people are.