Fed up with graphic violence on TV!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mrwolk, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Myke, I was agreeing with your "turn it off" advice to the OP. I wanted him (not you) to find the controller and follow your advice-- turn it off.:D

Myke and Vidiot like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I personally think there's not enough violence on television. Just watch the rating at the head of the show, and if it's TV-14 or TV-MA (basically an "R"), don't watch it.

TV parental guidelines (US) - Wikipedia

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, gonna have to agree to disagree on that last one, chief!

If I wanna see a super-hot naked guy, I'll just strip and look in a mirror! :tiphat:

SandAndGlass and bmasters9 like this.
  4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

...in the hope that such a man will enter the room and you will be able to see him in said mirror, one would assume. :shtiphat:

I'm here all week, folks !

D.D.

OldSoul and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's about the story...violence is a cherry. ; )

6. Michael

violence is a sad part of life, but in the movies it'a all fake blood, guts, and gore...that makes it more fun...

7. Michael

nevermind!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

LOL!

9. Six Feet Under is cool. There's a lot of real stuff that goes on it, but a lot of Hollywood, too. I mean, that's cool, though, because it tells a story, with the funeral business as more of a backdrop. If they had went too far into the weeds of the funeral business I don't think it have been as entertaining.

Yeah, there were quite a few things that I called BS on, but hey, the show certainly gives most watchers "The Feels." That's a good thing. :)

10. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

To bad there's not some way to change what you're watching.

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

yes, it's on the remote control . ; )

Slack Babbath and Mazzy like this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The OP's got a point. Its possible to tell a good story, and depict violence relative to the story in an appropriate way, without catering to the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately the LCD element drives so much entertainment production today. Its a frequent topic of this forum even!

13. I have a remote. It has an on/off and channel changer. There’s always the new Hawaii Five-O or McGuver if i don’t want something with balls.

14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Enough with this "PC Police" crap. There is NO SUCH THING.

tmtomh, OldSoul, Oatsdad and 3 others like this.
  15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

IMO...In the context of the posts PC Police = conscience. Proceed with caution...or not.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

chuckle...

budwhite likes this.
  17. Michael

this very scary....double chuckle.

18. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The reason I like The Shining as a horror movie is that the violence is depicted in oblique, absurd, or artful ways without sledgehammering the viewer. The girls holding hands saying in unison Come Play with us Danny tells you something awful has happened. The elevator full of blood. And so on. Our minds fill in the blanks; the most effective kind of horror.

19. Michael

yes, all true, but sometimes one may be in the mood for a John Wick flick.; )

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Well I don't see why there can't be some tawny chest fur and violence, I mean on channels other than the nature ones. :cool:

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Watch professional sports. They've pussified all of them, hockey, football, even basketball. There was more contact and fighting in basketball in the 70s than there is in hockey now.

Vinyl Addict and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

who's to blame?

24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

whoever the the pc police are they dont seem to mind the violence too much. the sex however.....a girl or guy in a thong will get the blurry treatment over a headshot anyday.

25. I agree with the OP. I find it pretty sickening, including stuff I've seen in recent years on broadcast TV in early prime time. Namely one execution scene which I happened upon - so don't tell me about any "R" rating message - which I found really sickening...

This may be common place talk, but there is enough real horrible violence these days all around us - and fed to us through media of all kinds - to "play" anything approaching such violence for entertainment purposes.

And please spare us the options. This thread is about TV in the first place.

Brian Mc and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.