Feel like some PRINCE...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Nov 29, 2017.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope. Batman sucks. I never listen to it. Ok, Vicki Waiting isn't bad and at least has lyrics that correspond with the film. But to me the rest feels like studio goofing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. ando here

Though I don't care for it here's some background (and love) for the Batman album:

Must say, it puts me in a mood for the movie...

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@SweetTea this thread may be of interest.

SweetTea likes this.
  4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I was in second year University and I was watching TV and the Buffalo TV station ran an ad for an upcoming show at the Buffalo Aud featuring Vanity 6, The Time and Prince. It caught my attention and before too long I was buying Prince's new double album 1999. I had never heard anything quite like it. Within two years, Prince was one of the biggest things on the planet. In the summer of 1985, Prince took his tour bus to my hometown of London, Ontario during an off night of a long stand at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and went for a steak dinner at Great West Beef on Horton Street and the Capitol Theatre on Dundas Street to see the Steve Martin/Lily Tomlin movie"All Of Me". I was taking a course in town and one of the others in my course was at the theatre that night. It was covered in the London Free Press. Prince played London 25 years later.
    I first saw Prince on the Lovesexy Tour at Maple Leaf Gardens. It was a pretty mind- blowing show. In the round, with two one hour sets, Prince put on a show like no one else. I would see him again in 1993 - also at Maple Leaf Gardens - and I took my buddy Dave (who is not easily impressed) and it was the only time in my life that I saw Dave jump out of his seat and applaud with his arms stretched out above his head. During the second half of the show (the first half was the entire Symbol album), Prince just took it to another level. His performance of "She's Always In My Hair" was just unreal. Prince fake crying and lying on the stage with the mic at his mouth going on about some woman that had messed up his mind. I saw him one other time in 2002 at Hamilton Place in Hamilton, Ontario. I saw this show from the seventh row - Maceo Parker, Larry Graham, Prince. He stopped the show, pulled some middle-aged white dude onto the stage during a funky jam and lightly mocked his casual attire (Prince was wearing a suit - "I got dressed up for this, why couldn't you?") and unfunky dancing. It was not mean at all - a light-hearted interlude. Later he brought a man on stage and put him in a chair and played a jazzy solo on a Telecaster only to this man and because I was close I could just see his charisma on full display.
    I kept up with most of Prince's music and his death struck me as truly tragic. I mean Prince was not known for partying and having a good time and his death was a high profile case that illustrated the opioid epidemic in North America. There will never be another Prince. I think Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk" is such an homage to Prince. I mean it sounds like a Dirty Mind outtake. For that reason I am going to see Bruno Mars this summer and when I do, I will think of Prince.

scratchtasia, aravel, Jayseph and 8 others like this.
  5. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I remember this B-side because I collected Prince's 12 inch singles when I was a teen, and this is by far my favorite Prince song. I had no idea this even existed!

I can't wait to listen to this even more extended version....

6. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

That "Alexa De Paris" is a fan-edit. There is no 50 minute version. It's just a bunch of looped and repeated portions. There IS a 50 minute version of "Billy's Sunglasses" though.

CBackley and redsock like this.
  7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

To Kahunasunset, this was supposed to be a response:
    The Gold Experience
    Chaos and Disorder
    Lo+us Flow3r
    The Undetaker (if you can find it - was only officially released on VHS and LaserDisc but the audio circulates freely)
    N.E.W.S.

8. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I need to put on HITnRUN Phase Two. I played it after he passed and I was blown away at how it really seemed like "his best since ______".

9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not sure how tough it would be for you to locate one.
    But myself being a casual fan, the 1993 3 disc comp-The Hits, The B-sides is a nice collection- Descent mastering as well.

Kahunasunset likes this.
  10. ando here

He wasn't that kind of musician, imo. He had guitar driven songs but his albums were conceptual in terms of theme and musical texture: a strictly guitar driven record would probably have bored him. Anyway, he always seemed to lean more toward funk than strictly rock to me - far less Hendrix influenced than Sly Stone, Bootsy Collins, George Clinton and James Brown. He developed his own light, guitar-riff led brand of funk that was unmistakably him, though, which separated him from other cats on the Minneapolis scene. Wonder what the scene is like now...

CBackley likes this.
  11. ando here

Yeah, all that was established later in the thread. Would like to have some of the other "interlude" or incidental music from Under The Cherry Moon with the other songs on a single playlist. But even that preferably fan-made: we've seen what WB did with the anniversary edition of Purple Rain.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  12. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

It's April and it's snowing where I am. Time to dig out Parade!

wolfram, SweetTea and ando here like this.
  13. ando here

Prince Bush gone viral. :laugh:

[​IMG]
    Currently in bloom in Sacramento, CA.

scratchtasia, 905 and JeffMo like this.
  14. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

You needed to see him live for his guitar workouts. He'd get lost in the playing at times or indulge the fans with a load of showboating. None of it really appeared on record as he was really only ever about the songs when he was in the studio.

3rdeyegirl - Topic

ando here likes this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@SweetTea have you seen this photo?

16. Yeah, I saw this the other day. Pretty cool, except for the "R.I.P. Prince" part.

Almost two years now. I find it a bit disturbing, in the global sense, that's we're coming up on an anniversary and all they've released is the truncated Purple Rain Deluxe package, and that was only to fulfill the previous obligation with WB. The estate doesn't appear to be any closer to striking a distribution deal after the Universal fiasco.

It's sad, because there's no better way to celebrate our dearly departed than enjoying some "new" music from the Purple One. (and no, I'm not counting those crap-ass leaks from over the last couple of years.) :mad:

ando here and Rollie like this.
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There is supposedly some sort of reissue ("Deluxe" or whatever) of 1999 in the works, the single LP version for RSD must be meant as a promo for that.

18. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

The single disc uk version of 1999. Why bother really. Rsd18 is on the two year anniversary of his death and that's all they can manage? It's insulting really.

I hear The Black Album is due for reissue and 1999 to get the same deluxe package as Purple Rain. Let's hope they don't brickwall that ****er aswell.

The Rhino remasters/reissues from several years ago are still the best out there apparently.

It's quite sad when i see other artists getting really great deluxe packages but Prince's material being handled by a bunch of muppets. Look at the recent News of the World by Queen or Roxy Music's first album (ignore the price's of each). And Floyd always have beautiful vinyl editions.

Hopefully we'll get someone who knows what they're doing putting together something soon. Lovesexy and Sign o the Times could do with sorting out. And Gold and Symbol would be nice vinyl additions. And Diamonds and Pearls.

thekid87 likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

To promote a Deluxe 1999? A lot of the RSD releases are pretty useless releases that only work as collectors items. The regular 2-LP is already available, so pointless to release that again (which they probably will anyway). Personally I think the single LP is a good distillation, I have both versions and sometimes play the single LP when I'm not in the mood for all the marathon tracks, because it has my favourite songs.

20. ando here

Ha. Love his marathon songs best! :winkgrin:

Half hour of a live set in Detriot during his Musicology Tour (nice):

Maseman66 likes this.
  21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Played it again after he died and it held up better than i remembered......cheese element is there....but the songs are strong.

ando here likes this.
  22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I have been playing/watching this every few weeks since the man passed.

Playing is more soulful than the album.

Astonishing:

ando here likes this.
  23. ando here

Respectfully disagree. Love all the art from that project, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Turntable likes this.
  24. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

I think Batman has some strong songs but perhaps feels dated. Vicki Waiting i could listen to for days, Batman has a great solo, Electric Chair is pure Prince. And it spawned The Scandalous Sex Suite.

25. ando here

Found a seven minute version of Vicki Waiting on the 2017 Prince comp, Blast From The Past 5.0. Prefer it to the Batman version.

[​IMG]

Now, how you get a copy of the 4 disc set is on you but it's out there. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    12stringbassist and Freek999 like this.