'Ferris Bueller's Day Off': Cameron's Ferrari Destruction Scene

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I like when Sloane is waiting for Ferris to pick her up from school and she says to Rooney, " I guess that's my dad." LOL!!

Scowl, longdist01, 905 and 2 others like this.
  2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

any scene with Mia Sara is ok by me :love:

3. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I think you've forgotten how dumb/arrogant most teenagers are. I certainly was.

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Sadly, here's a comment on the discogs page for this box set:

The music selection on this set is phenomenal. The packaging is fantastic! However, the audio is so badly brick-walled that it's unlistenable. It's a shame that in 2022 we still have "mastering engineers" that don't understand the beauty of a large dynamic range. THIS is the very thing that is killing CD sales, crappy mastering.

Listening to this set 2 or 3 songs at a time is about all I can manage before my ears become so fatigued that I have to stop and come back to it later. Truly awful sound.

questrider and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  5. Scopitone

I mentioned this in another comment, but I watch a lot of movie reactions from younger folks. Almost to a person, the John Hughes high school stuff does not speak to them - especially The Breakfast Club. As you say, their experience is so different.

Whereas movies like The Breakfast Club or Can't Buy Me Love speak to me because they were my high school years - especially the latter, which is not John Hughes but firmly in that genre world. I graduated high school in 1992. My youngest brother is 7 years younger, and by the time he got into high school the social structures were apparently a lot more fluid.

64FALCON likes this.
  6. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Bummer. Then it's definitely not worth $40-$55 regardless of its eclectic nature. Too bad. :cry:

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

No business covering for him? You think that she should have let Rooney, who had just trespassed onto Casa de Bueller and given her the fright of her life, to have the upper hand and bust Ferris? The whole scene with the Charlie Sheen character taught her a lesson about not being obsessed with the things that Ferris gets away with.

Nightfly68, twicks and 905 like this.
  8. S. P. Honeybunch

Generally films aren't supposed to break the fourth wall either, but it's part of Ferris' character.

905 and RSteven like this.
  9. Scopitone

Rooney broke into their house whether Ferris deserved to get busted or not.

Not being bitter about Ferris getting away with stuff is not the same as helping him get away with stuff.

10. Scopitone

It's just one person's opinion. But it's a reasonable one given all our experiences.

questrider likes this.
  11. S. P. Honeybunch

She helps herself in not letting Rooney (the bad guy) win.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  12. Scopitone

Fair enough. :righton:

13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Ferrari faced kit car builders and clone car builders in the era. There were people who cut the roofs off of Daytona Spyders and didn't reveal that they were "cut" cars derived from the coupe. There has always been some skullduggery in vintage Ferraris, given their value. I had a friend back in NY who was a serious collector, and got into a battle over the provenance of a racing car that burned at LeMans; it was parted out, one guy had a rear axle, or whatever, but my friend had the motor and chassis and proved that due to "scrutineers" marks (little hidden markings put on critical parts by race officials to ensure that none were changed during the race), he had the "real" one. Those cars have now shot up in value to the level of Van Gogh type art at high end auctions (not quite but pretty crazy numbers). Out of reach. The guys that bought them back in the '60s as basket cases paid almost nothing- used up racing cars that nobody cared about. I met a few of those guys- school teacher types, who over the years got the cars back into condition.
    Sergio Scaglietti,, who hammered the bodies of many, appeared at a car event some years ago that I attended. He was pretty old at the time, but nobody objected to his dribbling cigarette ash into their kilo-buck vehicles because he graciously signed the inside of a few glove boxes.
    FWIW, this in, my estimation, is the most beautiful Ferrari ever made. It is a one off, not bodied by the usual body makers for Ferrari. (In the '50s, Ferrari bodies could come in all shapes and sizes- Ferrari made the running chassis and you could body it as you chose; he only later became a conventional car maker with "models" that were similar). The early Ferraris are in some ways the most interesting.
    Here's the Nembo 1777:
    https://le-monde-edmond.com/ed-niles-a-legend-tells-his-story/
    Ed Niles was a work-a-day lawyer who was bringing over special Ferraris back in the '60s when the average bloke could own them. He owned some very special cars-- the 1777 is one of my favorites and inspired the Steve McQueen car (Thomas Crown Affair), a factory NART spyder that Luigi Chinetti, famous race driver and U.S. distributor, pushed Ferrari to make. Enzo did not care about the street cars- his passion was racing. But he built some wonderful cars.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    gabbleratchet7 and longdist01 like this.
  14. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The Breakfast Club is okay, but the characters swerve a little too closely to archetypal cartoons for my taste. Even though it was set in 1976 (the year after I was born), Dazed and Confused feels closer to my high school days. The characters are little more nuanced, though still fitting into types, the situations a little more realistic.

Plus, I have a hard time believing that someone like Ally Sheedy's character would have allowed themselves to be made over to look like a straight, and be happy with it. Later on, in adulthood, sure, maybe, but not as a teen.

15. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

This is the only appropriate reaction to that scene by any gear head.

That house was for sale a few years ago, apparently it's in MI somewhere.

16. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

There's a book called , Cars I Could've, Should've Kept by Jackson Brooks has some good stories about restored cars and provenance among other things.

Bill Hart likes this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I went to high school around the same time you did and remember the cliques well. Has that really changed?

Scowl and Scopitone like this.
  18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

So you're doubting the lived experiences of younger people.

I haven't been in high school in decades. There is still bullying etc. going on. But reports indicate that the kids go their own way more nowadays. Jocks are busy playing their sport 12 months a year and not getting into a BMOC thing. I believe the reports that things have changed.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Or you did as my sister taught me...you take the bag out of the box and snake your hand down to the bottom to get the prize then squish the bag back into the box. That way mom doesn't get mad about the upside down box!

ZippyPippy likes this.
  20. Scopitone

I cannot speak from experience, of course. I can only go by the stories I hear. But even my younger brother, seven years between us, said that things were already beginning to change when he was in high school in the late 90s. That kids would move freely between these groups and be friends with all types of other kids, rather than only the ones that were in their expected social strata.

Kyle B likes this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

This was a criticism that Leonard Maltin had of Hughes in his movie guide book.

GLENN and twicks like this.
  22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Asking questions to learn is not the same as doubting.

23. I also attended high school from 1988-92 and am currently in my 26th year as a high school teacher. You are absolutely correct on both accounts. The Breakfast Club is pretty spot on with the cliquishness of my high school in that period. And high school culture has dramatically changed since then, I see it every single day. It's changed so much that other teachers around my age and I talk about it all the time. It's changed for the better, without a doubt.

905 and Scopitone like this.
  24. alex1976delarge

alex1976delarge Forum Resident

I liked the movie when I first saw it, which would’ve been its release on home video. I never cared for Ferris himself (I’ve never liked Matthew Broderick in anything I’ve seen him in) but enjoyed the other characters. Bought it on dvd on release day and rewatched it. Didn’t have the same appeal to me as it did before. Better Off Dead, Real Genius and Some Kind Of Wonderful arebmy favorite movies from that time period that still hold up to me.

25. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

That Ferrari model has always been my dream car. Made my belly hurt when it rolled out the garage...

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.