Fifty year old phono cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 62vauxhall, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Ok, update:

I removed the shield and the stylus and did the paper clip trick...the magnet in the cart is strong.

I also tried Phono A and Phono B input and the volume was the same on both. I need to turn the volume 3/4 of the way up to get it to fill the room, whereas the the Shure M91Ed in the Rega, its loud at less than half. And yes, both inputs are for magnetic carts.

I am wondering if I have the Vr-1000 wired wrong in the headshell. Theres no hum (well, just a tiny bit) tho.
    Tomorrow I will install the Shure M7 and see if the volume level changes. If yes, I will try a different stylus in the VR-1000, I guess.

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Puzzling for sure. Try a different stylus first. It would be easier. Yes ?

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I just wanted to add this in case I did not. I am the world's largest and only supplier of the EVG 2751DE styli for the GE VR 1000 cartridges.

4. stereoguy

Could I possibly have the cart wired wrong? Thing is, I played a stereo record, and I heard both channels distinctly.

I'm having trouble understanding how the stylus itself could be causing a volume problem...doesnt sound right to me.

5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I thought the 60s era Empires were rather dull sounding so I switched to another NY manufacturer - Pickering and Stanton. About 10 years ago I unboxed and mounted an NOS Stanton 881s and it sounds pretty awesome very similar to a Dynavector 10x5

PhxJohn and needlestein like this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Because the cantilever directs the signal to the pole pieces. If the GE had an aluminum cantilever like most styli assemblies, it would not work at all.

7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I should say the cantilever directs the magnetic flux to the pole pieces. Humor me here. No one living knows more about that cartridge than I do.

8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

There is even a small single piece in the stylus assembly that directs the magnetic flux from the exposed magnet pole that you can see on the bottom of the cartridge to the cantilever. If that piece has fallen out, you won't get the proper performance.

9. stereoguy

Thanks John. Your expertise on the VR-1000 is pretty amazing.

So tonight, I tried a further experiment. In a second headshell , I installed my Shure M7 and gave that a spin with the same test record.
    My findings were that the Shure was somewhat louder, fuller and definitely had more bass than the Vr-1000. And the Shure has a worn stylus, as the record sounded more scratchy than with the VR-1000. I think the Shure is a better match for the Garrard Type A, actually.
    I actually happen to know that when my uncle bought the Type A in 1960, he also purchased a Shure M7 for it, likely because the dealer recommended it for that particular table. I think the next step is to replace the stylus on the VR-1000 and see how it sounds. But.....I have carefully examined the current stylus and it really looks fine to me, so I'm not expecting much, if any change.

10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

If you look at the stylus with the underside facing you, is that little rectangular piece in there ?

11. stereoguy

Update: I connected my Rega P1 with the Shure M91Ed to Phono B. Much louder and fuller than the VR-1000 and the Shure M7.

My conclusion is that the two carts from 1960 just have a lower output than the 1970s M91Ed, perhaps partly due to age. I am also sure that I have everything wired correctly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    PhxJohn likes this.
  12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Also, if the pole pieces were inserted wrong, it would have a weak signal.

13. stereoguy

John, yes.

14. stereoguy

John, the stylus is firmly pressed down and the shield as well.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

That's fine. But I am anxious for you to try a different stylus. Any replaceable stylus in a MM cartridge determines output as the strength of the magnet on the end of the cantilever varies in strength. With the GE, how much magnetism ends up down at the pole pieces determines output. That is why the GE VR 1000-5 has half the output of the GE VR 1000-7, because the cantilever on the -5 is finer than that on the -7.

16. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I meant when the stylus assembly was built. Where the pole pieces are visible next to the diamond tip. They are very hard to see. They are supposed to be curved toward the diamond tip. Sometimes when manufactured, they were inserted backwards.

17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

StereoGuy - somethings wrong. Even with its crappy stylus, My VR 1000 has decent volume at 10-11 o'clock position and that's on a vintage tube amp even without overly efficient speakers I use.

18. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I think Mike should just try another stylus. The pole pieces could be inserted backwards, the flux director could be missing. Those pieces have to be made of iron to work properly. It is not a conventional cartridge.

389 Tripower likes this.
  19. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I remember when I switched from the Pickering stylus for the AT-3 to the one for the AME-3. 1) The stylus did not work in the Garrard turntable at 1.5 grams because 1) It could not overcome the friction of the trip mechanism. 2) The output was much lower as the AME-3 stylus has a smaller magnet to reduce moving mass. Lessen learned 45 years ago.

20. stereoguy

I'll try another stylus. The seller of the VR-1000 has at least one NIB he has promised me as part of the sale. I'll follow up with him.

21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

On the bottom of the GE VR 1000 cartridge there is an exposed pole piece. On the stylus assembly, on the underside, is a rectangular piece of iron that directs the flux down the cantilever which is also iron . The stylus tip moving between the tiny pole pieces on either side(and slightly below) of the stylus guides the flux up the pole pieces into the cartridge where the pole pieces are each surrounded by a coil. One stylus rebuilder referred to my GE VR 1000 as just another MM cartridge. I wrote him off immediately.

22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I thought you had some. Arrrggghhhh !!!! LOL

23. stereoguy

389: Thanks for that. Actually, the volume is not terrible, just not up to the level of the Shure M91ED. Also, the bass is somewhat weak.

24. stereoguy

I will, the seller is going to send at least one. But honestly, I am not expecting much difference.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  25. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I should have sent you one. I got 5 more today and 108 are coming tomorrow. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.