Filler-free double albums: are there any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Add to my list these two:

Marillion~Brave
    Marillion~Marbles

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

The Minutemen's Double Nickles on the Dime

4. Would it, though? It was conceived and released during the reign of the CD. The CD format changed how albums were put together and perceived by artists due to the amount of material that could be presented versus vinyl or cassettes.
    To a certain degree, in this case, the medium is the message.

5. Catcher10

My point is regardless of how an artist creates the playlist or assembles the tracks, due to the length, it would have been a dbl LP issue. Obviously a single CD issued is appropriate due to the length......but in 1999 released on vinyl would have been 2-LP set.

The 74/80 min CD does contribute to filler scenarios.

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The definition of a double album has changed much over the years. Frank Zappa seemed ahead of his time in some respects by knocking out loads of 70 -75 minute double albums that neatly fit onto a single CD. It has long been my contention that if recorded these days albums such as The Wall and Tales From Topographic Oceans would have been structured to fit a single CD rather than being just a minute or two too long. Whether wither album would have been improved or not is debatable (in the case of TFTO I really think not), and conversely the artists may have tried to extend the albums to fill two CDs better. Neal Morse recently released a 100 minute diuble CD, so clearly counting as a double album. The only multi CD sets that I find disappointing if they're not full are compilations and live albums. The Ralph McTell box set averaged less than 60 minutes a disc, meaning it could have been a three discer rather than four.,

7. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Wasn't attacking anyone, just claiming how I felt about those records mostly.

And yeah, they're bad double albums anyway.

9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I gave a like because Marillion.
    But.
    Paper Lies. It's by (a maybe stretched) definition a filler. It doesn't fit the concept and was put there under Dave Meegan's request, to help with the pace of that section. So it was there "to fill". And he was right btw. One thing I can't understand is why they kept it like that and kept remarking into later interviews that it's a non-concept song. If I can stretch it to make it fit, theoretically and ideally, they could have too. Or could have changed some lyrics here and there to make it fit, maybe referencing other songs.

As for Marbles, that's a interesting case. The double CD (and triple LP) is a deluxe version, kind of an expanded edition. The official album is a single CD adapted into a double LP. But the thing is: no song seems to be thrown there just to fill a space, they're generally all good (even if some might be scrapped depending on personal taste) and the sequencing works better on the 2CD version than on the single CD one. To me, anyway.

10. Whay

Whay Forum Resident

Pink Floyd the wall

Terrapin Station likes this.
  11. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

war of the worlds
    electric ladyland

Folknik and Terrapin Station like this.
  12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well, Live "Underture" was dynamite.

13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Weird to ask if there are any filler-free double albums when the definition of "filler" is pretty much "song I don't care for."
    I don't see music that way.
    I don't care for 4-5 tracks on Exile, but I wouldn't call them "filler" just because they fail to do anything for me.

Whay and Terrapin Station like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Roxy & Elsewhere
    Chicago VII
    Mike Keneally-Dancing
    Pat Metheny-80/81

15. Catcher10

re Paper Lies, I can see that. I tend to stretch the lyrics and can make connection to some of the theme of Brave. But that is prolly the only song that fits a bit outside the box of the whole Brave theme.

The new Marbles set includes Ocean Cloud which is what pushes it to a 3-LP set, the original 2-LP vinyl version excludes Ocean Cloud and a couple others keeping it to 2-LP set. For me I prefer the 2-LP version as some of those extra songs, seem too "extra"......but it's Marillion and its great music either way.
    Cheers

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

When did they ever play 'Underture' live?

17. texron

texron Rory On

I know it's live, but Humble Pie, Rockin the Fillmore.

18. arthurprecarious

Woodstock? Or perhaps that was "Sparks"?

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

AFAIK *every* full 'Tommy' performance included Sparks and *no* full Tommy performance (or any other Who performance) included Underture.

20. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

LIVE DEAD.

jamesmaya and Terrapin Station like this.
  21. JayB

JayB Senior Member

There are tons of amazing double albums

Folknik and Terrapin Station like this.
  22. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Double-CD with no filler: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Live Art

23. arthurprecarious

Think I had a brain freeze. "Sparks" is pretty damn good live though.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Even "Obviously Five Believers"?

25. woodface

woodface Forum Resident

Too late to stop now - Van Morrison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.