Film and TV representations of dying

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Mar 28, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

What movies and TV shows depict some version of the hereafter? I can only think of two right now and they both show more of a waystation between life and death.

Soul, the new Pixar movie shows pale blue souls heading toward the great beyond or, if they're new souls, heading toward Earth. It's more of a new age type of depiction.

In the other example, Sopranos, when Tony was shot in season 6, he went into an alternate universe where he was no longer Tony Soprano. He had a normal job and normal family, but he was estranged from them. He could only call them from his hotel room. His wife's voice was clearly that of Gloria, a character he had dated in a prior season and who ended up committing suicide. He also faced an identity crisis. Despite claiming to know his name, he had someone else's ID and briefcase. He was diagnosed with early-stage Alzheimer's after the character slipped in a stairwell and suffered a concussion. He was also being chased by Buddhist monks who claimed he had defrauded them. When he tried to tell them that he wasn't the guy they were looking for, they commanded him to lose his ego. He then went to a big house on the hill that I can only assume represented death. The doorman, represented by his cousin played by Buscemi, who died in a previous season, demanded Tony enter the big house and leave his briefcase behind. Without giving away more spoilers, I found the entire thing hugely compelling.

I know I'm overlooking some other examples.

2. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Beetlejuice...

mr. steak, GregM and JoeOnWheels like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What Dreams May Come, one of the most gorgeous depictions of afterlife in my recent memory.

Bonus points for author Richard Matheson swearing it's based on a real-life experience.

Extra bonus points for getting to watch Annabella Sciorra in her prime (SPOILER: ...although heartbreaking seeing her suffering as the character does on both planes of existence...)

5. Dillydipper

Defending Your Life: Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep justifying their rights to passage, in a comedy my wife insists on sharing with every friend she holds dear.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have to agree with this! wonderful...perfect cast.

SandAndGlass and GregM like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Field Of Dreams:

"Is this heaven...?
    No...it's Iowa."

GregM and Nipper like this.
  8. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Beetlejuice's Purgatory
    [​IMG]

9. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Six Feet Under

VU Master and GregM like this.
  10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Dead Like Me

SandAndGlass, GregM and Troy McClure like this.
  11. The Sopranos’ last episode. Nothingness!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    mr. steak and GregM like this.
  12. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I’m watching it right now for the first time (currently at minute 21) and enjoying it greatly. I love Brooks’ next film, Mother, yet somehow managed to pass him up completely in the 1990s.

This is possibly my favourite of the afterlife-themed movies (I love this setting): After Life (the original Japanese title is Wonderful Life) by Hirokazu Kore-eda:

After Life (1998) - IMDb

Halfwit, Dillydipper and GregM like this.
  13. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Very briefly in the film but Hereafter (2010).
    Fearless (not the Jet Li movie) 1993.

Max Florian likes this.
  14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Bleach (Anime Series) - Establishes the Soul Society as a place you go after you die (with certain exceptions) that is similar to the World Of The Living except that you don't age and you don't have to eat or drink (unless you use enhanced abilities, like Soul Reapers, individuals who guide souls to the Soul Society). The exceptions are individuals who become hollows after they die, monsters that wonder the world attacking other ghosts and humans with high psychic abilities until their are cleansed by Soul Reapers.

Max Florian likes this.
  15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The Leftovers has some representations of the hereafter...I guess.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. GregM

Just watched the last couple episodes of Mr. Robot. Not sure what the heck I just saw, but I guess one interpretation is :bone:.

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I seldom run into anyone who has seen this series. I think it is the best series I have ever seen on TV. I have it on disc and the movie.

[​IMG]

Dillydipper, Standoffish and GregM like this.
  18. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

spolier ... sorry dont know how to produce that button

jacob's ladder.

19. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I missed that my screen just went blank.

Michael likes this.
  20. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

21. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Made in Heaven (1987) starring Timothy Hutton and Kelly McGillis. It's not very good.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Something I forgot mention in the above is the fate of evil people who die. Individuals who do evil acts while they are hollows can be cleansed and go to the Soul Society. However, those who committed evil while they were alive are not cleansed and sent to the Soul Society. Those individuals are sent to the Underworld (go to 4:55 for the applicable scene [the video is subbed and plays at high speed]) for punishment...

Max Florian likes this.
  23. Soft focus...fade to black...THE END.

Despite its melodrama, Dark Victory probably nailed it. (4:16 on)...

ralphb97 likes this.
  24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

a matter of life and death - by powell & pressburger

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. GregM

Just thinking about the final scene of Boardwalk Empire as Nucky dies. There is an image of him as a boy, when he would dive for the coins the commodore threw off the pier. He never was able to get a coin diving in his childhood but the final image shows him finally grabbing one underwater.

ubiknik and unclefred like this.