Film Director, Nicolas Roeg, has died aged 90

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by johnnyyen, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member Thread Starter

2. johnnyyen

3. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

One of my favourite directors, and one of the all time greats. :(

polchik, *Zod*, kronning and 3 others like this.
  4. johnnyyen

He was 90, but what an incredible and unique film maker he was. The run from Performance to Insignificance was extraordinary. So many brilliant, memorable images from his films. I had the opportunity to see him being interviewed several years ago in front of an audience, and I have to admit I was in awe. Although there haven’t been many in recent years, I’ll miss the fact that there will be no more Nic Roeg films. RIP sir.

5. johnnyyen

bekayne likes this.
  6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Sad to see him go. One of my all-time favourites. His run of films from Performance through Insignificance is magnificent.

johnnyyen likes this.
  7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    SandAndGlass, johnnyyen and stepeanut like this.
  8. johnnyyen

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

RIP. Walkabout is a classic, among others. Introduces the world to David Gulpilil, an aborigine of staggering talent and character. We might not have known him if not for Roeg.

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Very sad :(

longdist01 and johnnyyen like this.
  11. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Very sad. Walkabout, Don't Look Now and - in particular - Bad Timing are three of my all-time favourites.

SandAndGlass and johnnyyen like this.
  12. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

We were in Venice last Xmas. Spent a day hunting down over a dozen Don’t Look Now locations.

1973:

[​IMG]

2017:

[​IMG]

N.B. There is an alternate shot with me stood where Donald Sutherland was, but modesty prevents me from posting it.

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Never understood why he wasn't discussed or ranked with the all time great film directors.
    I have an old copy of Entertainment Weekly that ranks the top 100 directors. It somehow has Spike Lee and Tim Burton on the list but not Nicholas Roeg

14. johnnyyen

Great Stepeanut. More please!

longdist01, stepeanut and gomen ne like this.
  15. johnnyyen

Well, that’s a travesty jo.

footlooseman and marmalade166 like this.
  16. johnnyyen

He was terrific in Walkabout.

SandAndGlass and townsend like this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Most of his films are challenging, to say the least, but justify extended ruminations. His editing was so fluid and elegant that his films seemed to lift right out of time. He really did push cinema into a new realm and form of expression. Personally, I think his perhaps least known film "Eureka' is his best. (Critereon - get on that!)

Too bad some of his projects, like a film of J.G. Ballards 'High Rise', fell through.

18. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

That particular period of British cinema: Roeg, Lindsay Anderson, Ken Russell etc
    You have to wonder where we went wrong.

kronning, Graham and johnnyyen like this.
  19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

A true visionary.

A few years ago my then local arthouse cinema put on a screening of 'Bad Timing' and had Mr Roeg in attendance. He came into the auditorium carrying a plastic bag looking more like a pensioner on a day trip than one of the great directors. He spoke after the film for about an hour and I could have happily listened for several hours more. A very unassuming man, but as long as people care about cinema they will care about the films of Nicolas Roeg.

20. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

A sad day but what an incredible life and career to celebrate. One of those rare film makers that really understood the power of splicing a great piece of music with the moving image. I shall dig out The Koln Concert later to mark the day.

johnnyyen likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a lot of admiration for Director's what can make an interesting and enduring movie, without a huge budget.

Walkabout is a classic example of this. Excellent casting. I watched it just a couple of month's back.

johnnyyen likes this.
  22. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

Walkabout was where I first heard Stockhausen, at a time in the early '90s when the German composer's music wasn't that easy to get hold of.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    johnnyyen and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. A brilliant director who developed his own distinct filmmaking style, Nic Roeg iconoclastic style when it came to the rules of cinema and narrative style, I cherish "Don't Look Now" (a gothic moody thriller using unusual allusive editing choices), "The Man Who Fell To Earth", "Bad Timing", and ventured into whimsical"Insignificance" plus his work as a cinematographer made him among my favorite directors.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is why most people don't give him consideration. They don't like people who drawn outside the lines.

johnnyyen and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I find that Director's who have worked in other area's of the movie making process, often have a better prospective on the creative end of the film making process.

johnnyyen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.