Film genres you don’t like?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" Do you like gladiator movies , Tommy ?

arley and razerx like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No, it's not. if you think that's the case you honestly haven't looked at the listings of a typical movie theater.

eric777 likes this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Dumb Romantic Comedies
    Superheroes
    Explosion/Action movies
    Hallmark Christmas movies
    80s Reaganite Cinema
    Buddy Films
    Anything with a trailer that begins with "In a world…"

Scotian likes this.
  4. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I'm not really a fan of westerns. There's only a few musicals I can watch because I find most of them silly. I don't like crime movies such as Ocean's 11 or The Town because I used to work at a bank.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Once Upon A Time In America is my favorite movie in the "gangster" category, although I don't really consider it as such; organized crime glorification is something I don't have a need for in my entertainment choices. I like to think of it more as a set of characters thrust into a world they couldn't control, and made bad choices because of it. So sue me if I take the "liberal" position on it.

I'm sure I can find a similar exception to a rom-com or two that would excuse it from being considered a part of that genre; frankly, any movie featuring the Girl With The Cool Job In The Exciting City And A Last-Minute Dash To The Altar is a non-starter for me.

And there isn't a teen/serial-killer-spree "thriller" you could pay me to sit down in front of...particularly with a date.

But, any "genre" film that exists to turn the genre on its' ear, is gonna get my attention, at the very least.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It may have helped popularize the "found footage" genre and brought it into the mainstream, but BWP didn't start the trend. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) is usually regarded as the granddaddy of the genre, and other films such as Flowers of Flesh and Blood (1985) and The Last Broadcast (1998) were all out before BWP.

7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

what he said, plus most serious period pieces from England set in the days of powdered costumes and kings/queens/castles, etc. Or, movies like Batman 8, Star wars 11, Terminator 13---mindless junk/action films.

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Simpsons has certainly had its share of pop culture references over the years, but it doesn't rely on them as heavily as something like Family Guy (which I also love). The beauty of the Simpsons is the variety of types of humor they cram into every episode... aside from the film/TV references, there's also clever wordplay, literary jokes, slapstick, witty dialogue, sight gags, and stuff that's funny because it's just plain bizarre, weird, and/or silly.

It's been said that you can tell quite a bit about a person by watching an episode of The Simpsons with them and seeing which bits they laugh at, and which jokes they actually get... it's a theory I tend to agree with. The show is (or at least, was, in its first dozen-or-so seasons) absolutely brilliant.

9. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

what he said also. can't stand that crap. Lord of the rings and hobbit trash.

10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Most westerns, and most all films, are "based" on reality, are they not?

11. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Very well spoken, my friend.

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Are Tyler Perry movies a genre?

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I know. That's the main reason I have gone to a theatre to see exactly four newly released films during the past decade.

14. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

One of the funny things I forgot to mention: The owner of the Japanese farm as well as the fathers of every single one of my Japanese friends there were named George. We all had a lot of fun with that. :)

15. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Superhero
    Horror
    Musicals

As for chick flicks, I have to say I'd much rather watch Under a Tuscan Moon than Avengers Endgame, not exactly a huge endorsement I know

Vinyl is final likes this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, not really. When you start having movies about aliens and zombies, transformers and such, there's no reality in them.

Karnak likes this.
  17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The Star Wars universe

Tim S and Grant like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What's all this hating on musicals? There are a few I really enjoy, like "Little Shop Of Horrors", "Moulin Rouge", and "the 80s remake of "A Chorus Line". A lot of guys probably don't see them as masculine, but, so what?

19. I dunno, it's easier for me to describe why I don't like things, and the movie wasn't so exceptional that it's easy to sell to others. I suppose it depends on how you feel about real-world horror films of a popcorn > intellectual bent. Hostel had a novel take on the "most dangerous game" trope, played well on the idea of being young and naive in foreign climes, and had a bit more depth than the usual "group of young models get picked off by an omniscient killer" modern "horror" film. Others' mileage varies, natch.

Also: the sequel isn't bad, if you liked the original. The third, which had no involvement from original writer/director Eli Roth, is to be avoided at all costs.

20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

In order...

1.Slasher movies
    2.Chick Flicks
    3.War movies
    4.Buddy cop films...yeech

21. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I probably haven't given it a fair shot. I think I've seen maybe 20 episodes or so.

Family Guy I have enjoyed more, but like The Simpsons I have probably seen about 20 episodes. Maybe I'm just catching better FG episodes relative to TS episodes that I see.

22. Some genres I generally don't care for:

1. Fantasy epics: if there are elves or hobbits in key roles, I'm out. I also consider Star Wars to be essentially fantasy and I'm not crazy about that either.
    2. Romantic dramas. Zzzzz.
    3. Chick flicks: I actually kinda liked Bridget Jones' Diary, but one only need watch one movie about a cute but klutzy woman in the 25-40 age range with a fluff job who falls down many times while en route to finding love and the true meaning of friendship.
    4. Generic action movies: Some clever critic once said that there are fewer things more dull than nonstop action. May be redeemed if Jason Statham is involved.

Tim S likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

I don't know why but I find this sentence hilarious and am going to use it when the situation presents itself. Hope you don't mind.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. Wildest cat from montana

Never seen one of them.

dalem5467 likes this.
  25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Adam Sandler movies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.