Film noirs discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 7, 2020.

1. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I think later films like Serpico and The Taking Of Pelham 123 fit the genre.

2. "Double Indemnity", the movie that inspired "Body Heat" is pretty much definitive.

3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I could write essays on the topic ... and have. But here's a few random thoughts addressing some points already raised, and others.

Film Noir is not a genre. It is defined by a number of elements: by date of production; by theme, by style, etc. Some crime dramas are Film Noir; others are lacking a number of Noir elements, and thus are not.

All Film Noir are dated between 1940 (The Letter, Stranger on the Third Floor) and 1959 (The Beat Generation, The Crimson Kimono, Odds Against Tomorrow.) Anything outside of those dates is not Film Noir, but rather some hyphenated version of it (like neo-Noir.) And to repeat, just because it's a black and white crime drama (or some other genre), and falls between those dates, does not make it a Film Noir.

The best comprehensive compendium of all Film Noir is, in my opinion, Silver & Ward's book Film Noir. In the edition that I have, they list and describe in detail 266 Film Noir. Copies of all of those reside in my collection. :)

I have no single favourite, but I used to do an annual event for a group of friends where I presented one and then screened it. Being a big fan of Bogart meant that the first two were The Big Sleep (1946) and The Maltese Falcon (1941.) My mother, before she passed away, once told me that Laura (1944) was her all-time favourite movie - so of course that was one that I screened.

When I think of Western movies I immediately think of the great director John Ford. Not too many others immediately come to mind. But when I think of Film Noir there's at least a dozen that stand out including Siodmak, Preminger, Welles, Lang, Hitchcock, Dmytryk, and Curtiz.

Can we talk about screwball comedies next? :)

Jeff

Timeless Classics likes this.
  4. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Sounds good to me!

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Double Indemnity' may be the best noir of them all. It's got everything : murder , a slimy lead man , a definitive femme fatale and that classic film noir look.

6. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The change in the career of Fred MacMurray never ceases to amaze me. As a kid all I knew for years was Steve Douglas.

Double Indemnity, Caine Mutiny, The Apartment to the Disney & My Three Sons. Looking at his filmography, just now, I was surprised that The Shaggy Dog came out before The Apartment.

A close second would be Ernest Borgnine.

7. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Thanks again for the tip!!

Watched it today and loved it, the rain outside didn’t hurt.

Couldn’t wait for Talman to buy it, but it would’ve been a 15 minute film.

He was great, and always, always enjoy Edmund O’Brien.

8. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

There is more to Hamilton Burger than meets the half-closed eye!

Regginold31 and Paul J like this.
  9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

re: Edmund O'Brien, has D.O.A. been mentioned?

Great movie, but unfortunately back in the early 80s, Nick At Night would do a sort of Fractured Flickers routine on movies and with D.O.A., it was O'Brien as Ricky Ricardo. Now anytime I see it, can't get that out of my head.

woody likes this.
  10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I have never really been clear on the definition of Film Noir, and it seems I am not the only one. I guess that's because there really is no clear definition. It's almost like one is looking for clues that point to a movie qualifying as a Film Noir, and clues are open to interpretation.

So why are these films dated within that 20 year span? Is it because of this definition?

What Is Film Noir?

Film Noir has four elements (taken from above link):

1. WWII and post-war disillusionment
    2. Post-war realism
    3. German influence
    4. Hard boiled

So I imagine then, relation to the war puts this into the time span you provided. And Neo-Noir coincided with the Cold War. And maybe this sub-genre (or whatever it is) of Neo-Noir just hasn't died out because our cynicism and disillusionment is still with us. And maybe we just flat out enjoy it. But it's not Film Noir, because that describes a kind of movement in film relating to very specific events and a feeling that took hold in the 30s/40s, which didn't really exist before that.

11. Wildest cat from montana

I know it's not the best medium to watch movies but YouTube has hundreds of film noir flicks.
    Plenty of crap but some real good ones too.

12. jeffmackwood

More important than the bullets alone, it's the details about each one that are key to fully defining Film Noir. Even more importantly, the list of characteristics that follow those bullets in the article really hone in on defining what makes a film Film Noir.

There are many excellent books on the subject and most, if not all, will have very similar takes. As well as Silver & Ward's book that I previously referenced, I'd recommend Foster Hirsch's the dark side of the screen - film noir. Books that are more academic and dig down into very specific aspects of Film Noir include Frank Krutnik's In A Lonely Place - film noir, genre, and masculinity, and J.P Telotte's Voices In The Dark - The Narrative Patterns of Film Noir. I was able to quickly find copies of all three over at AbeBooks by searching on the authors' names alone.

Jeff

Dream On likes this.
  13. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Thought I'd try ranking my favorite noir directors based solely on that genre, with consideration to quantity/quality. Hope I didn't forget some:

1) Fritz Lang - Enjoy all his American noirs, which
    2) Sam Fuller - So offbeat, and all his noirs shine.
    3) Billy Wilder - I love love love the 3 most famous ones, but not a big Ace in the Hole fan.
    4) Robert Siodmak - Consistently fun noir, and a lot of them.
    5) Nicholas Ray - Similar to Wilder, love some noirs (In a Lonely Place/On Dangerous Ground) the rest are okay.
    6) Otto Preminger - Fun noirs, even if some border on ridiculous (Angel Face's ending.)
    7) Andre De Toth - Love 3 of his noirs (Dark Waters, Pitfall, Crime Wave.)
    8) Jacques Tourneur - All noirs are worthy, if Night of the Demon qualifies bump this higher.
    9) Orson Welles - Most would rate higher, I have to be in the mood for some of them.
    10) Edward Dymytryk - Mainly due to Crossfire, Obsession and Sniper.
    11) Joseph H Lewis - Love 2 of them, and Big Combo is good too.
    12) James Brahm - Underrated, love all his noirish films. Would love to see Guest in the House in its long version.
    13) Robert Wise - Seen 3 of his noirs and they were good.
    14) Edgar Ulmer - enjoyed all his noirs I've seen, if low budget.
    15) Delmer Daves - Underrated, wish he did more.
    16) Anthony Mann - Love his westerns, but Raw Deal is the real deal.
    17) John Huston/Howard Hawks - a couple I'm okay with, some I find overrated (mostly the Bogie ones.)

PS: Alfred Hitchcock - Not sure how many are noir, but the ones that might count are great.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  14. jeffmackwood

Silver & Ward consider four (4) of Hitchcok's films to be Film Noir:

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    Notorious (1946)
    Strangers on a Train (1951)
    The Wrong Man (1956)

I recall that I had some doubts about whether Notorious belonged, or not. Enough so to write an essay about it. That was nearly thirty years ago so forgive me if I can't reconstruct my arguments at this time. :)

Jeff

JKCanuck likes this.
  15. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

No Suspicion, Spellbound, Rope, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window or Vertigo? Especially the latter. Hell, even Rebecca has the feel.

I would probably nestle him in at #5 with your list, and #2 if it included mine too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Gun Crazy is the perfect noir. It's brilliant.

DOA is one of the most exciting films I've ever seen.

And Detour, a terrific low budget film, features an all time great performance from Ann Savage.

Those are my top 3.

17. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Of those not mentioned, Fallen Angel (1945) is one of my favorites, with Dana Andrews and the beautiful Linda Darnell. Also, I Wake Up Screaming (1941) with Victor Mature, Carol Landis and Betty Grable.

fr in sc likes this.
  18. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Can a moderator please correct the thread title?

smilin ed likes this.
  19. Great films all, but for me, (and this is just my personal predudice), to be Noir, it has to be black and white.

20. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

What's wrong with the thread title?

Paul J likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

If it's in colour it's film noir-ish.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  22. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

There‘s no plural for Film Noir. Should be Film Noir discussion.

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Always hoped he'd make more.

24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

@MerseyBeatle ~ Wanted to make sure you saw the thread buddy :cheers:

25. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I’m a fan of these films but they don’t capture the film noir mood, imo. The “hard-boiled” element (as someone mentioned in another post) isn’t really there. Rebecca comes close but even that is more of a gothic mystery/thriller.

ralphb likes this.