Film noirs discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I think Murder My Sweet is a quintessential noir, crummy detective being taken advantage of by a femme fatale, mostly occurs a night with great photography, Mike Mazurki as the heavy and lots of hats. What don't you like about it?

Richard--W and rocnred like this.
  2. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

It is probably a quintessential "detective solving a case" noir. I simply don't like those much. Instead of a hotshot fast talking detective in the lead I would much prefer a shady cop (The Prowler), con man (Nightmare Alley), criminal in hiding (The Scar), cuckolded man (Tension), nagged/whipped husband (Scarlet Street), and possessive father figure who creepily blurs the line (The Red House.) Their motivations are more interesting.

3. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Same here.

4. BigO

BigO Active Member

Recently watched 'Where the sidewalk ends' which was absolutely brilliant. I like all sorts of noir, but the 'nastier' the noir then the better in my opinion. This one is up there on the nasty scale.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a 'nasty noir'?

If interested, I would say my favourite noirs are:

Third Man (one of the best films ever?)
    Touch of Evil
    Big Heat
    Gilda
    Double Indemnity
    Angel Face
    The Killers

Runners up:

In a Lonely Place
    Killer's Kiss
    Detour
    Out of the Past
    DOA
    Big Sleep
    Lady from Shanghai
    Sunset B
    Maltese Falcon
    Scarlet Street
    The Killing
    Big Combo
    The Stranger
    Postman always rings twice

5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Raw Deal (1948) is pretty nasty.

Richard--W, Simon A and audiomixer like this.
  6. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

So are The Lineup (what's more psychotic than an angry Eli Wallach, I asks ya!) and Crime Wave (with a creepy-looking young Charles Budinsky a/k/a Charles Bronson and Timothy Carey). The DVD commentaries are by Eddie Muller and James Ellroy and they're terrific too. I'd also add The Prowler to that category, wherein we see a slimy cop (Van Heflin) deteriorate into an evil goo, or something like that.

rocnred and Jazzmonkie like this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Teo of my favourite Noir actors.

This Gun For Hire.

Richard--W, rocnred and Solaris like this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I wanna see The Lineup.
    I'm an Eli Wallach fan.

Richard--W likes this.
  9. Doghouse Riley

I guess it's not really film noir in some people's eyes, but it is a Dashiel Hammett story, but I like it because I thought the pair were good together in "This Gun For Hire."
    I've a VHS copy I bought from the USA twenty years ago. I've not seen it advertised on TV since, though I've never looked that hard.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Glass Key is absolutely considered to be a classic film noir. I have never read any serious claim to the contrary.

I adore Veronica Lake, even though she was nuttier than squirrel shit in real life. In another time and place, I’d have been happy to fall under her femme fatale wheels.

The Blue Dahlia is another great Ladd-Lake noir.

Richard--W and G E like this.
  11. Doghouse Riley

With all due respect, I covered my bases as I've read elsewhere a couple of views to the contrary. I was trying to pre-empt a discussion on it.

I've always been a fan of Veronica Lake. She had a lot of misfortune, due to an ankle injury her movie career was cut short. Later in life she worked as a waitress for a time.

I also liked her in "I Wanted Wings" and "Sullivan's Travels." I've a bit of a film noir collection.

I've always liked Alan Ladd.

He could sing a bit too, though some might say it's not his voice. Others that it's not the women playing the instruments. I play tenor sax and I can't be sure.

They said that about Dooley Wilson, that he neither played the piano or sang in Casablanca.

I'll give them the piano, as I bit of a ham pianist myself, it's obvious he isn't playing it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Fabrice Outside likes this.
  12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

TCM has put out a 3-disc DVD that features The Glass Key, 1944's Phantom Lady and 1946's The Blue Dahlia (Ladd and Lake again), well-worth getting altho' there are no commentaries; dunno if there's a version you can play in your neck of the woods. Phantom Lady's a nice little film produced by Joan Harrison, who had broken away from Hitchcock at this point to do stuff on her own. Unfortunately it does feature Alan Curtis doing a successful imitation of a block of wood and Franchot Tone who fits nobody's definition of menacing.

13. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

There's a new blu-ray of that out, definitely worth getting! I love the seediness of so much of the movie, the surroundings (especially the dump Raven lives in) and of course, the tragic and inimitable Laird Cregar. You can keep your Sydney Greenstreets and Victor Buonos, nobody filled the screen in his way like Cregar did. I always wished Hitchcock had cast him in Saboteur instead of Otto Kruger or given him Cotten's role in Shadow of a Doubt.

14. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

It's sad to see Lila Leeds in this movie; she was quite the hottie and her career was beginning to take off, and then she was part of the infamous pot bust of Robert Mitchum in 1948, which didn't hurt his career, to the surprise of most, but effectively ended Leeds'. She ended up doing an exploitation film Wild Weed to try and do penance but it did nothing to restore her to Hollywood's good graces, and heroin addiction would soon follow.

[​IMG]

:(

BDC, rocnred and fretter like this.
  15. BigO

BigO Active Member

While I've seen a fair few noir movies, I think a blind spot is the straight up gangster movies - stuff like 'angels with dirty faces' - would you consider them noir movies? I guess that is my next stop. I haven't seen 'White Heat' either.

16. stepeanut

Angels with Dirty Faces is a little early to be considered a true noir of the classic period. However, it is often cited as a precursor, or early noir-like, film.

White Heat is definitely considered a noir picture.

As we’ve seen elsewhere in this thread, film noir has always suffered from an identity crisis, leading some to embrace only the most narrow, reductive definition of the term. For me, that way is a fool’s errand, resulting in the dismissal of many fine films, especially non-American productions from the 1940s and 1950s.

Regginold31 and smilin ed like this.
  17. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I didn't know that's what happened. She did seem like a very talented actor.

18. This post prompted me to look up some more about Lila Leeds.What a knockout, really.

According to this blog post, THIS DAZZLING TIME: LILA LEEDS - How bad can a good girl get? Lila eventually found herself doing volunteer work in religious missions in LA. Judging from her age on passing away in 1999- 70 or 71- it appears that she managed to rid herself of her heroin habit, or at least avoided the worst consequences of addiction, and show business.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    BDC and fr in sc like this.
  19. Jimmy B.

The Night of The Hunter's considered noir?!?
    The term "film noir" sure encompasses a broad spectrum of movies;
    it's my all-time favorite film!
    I never viewed it as noir....

(I wonder if the movie The Window then, is film noir? Some consider it to be, some don't......)

20. Jimmy B.

:laugh:

21. stepeanut

I don’t set the categories on the Blu-ray.com website.

I wouldn’t necessarily call The Night of the Hunter noir either, but I guess some people see the expressionist visuals in those terms. German expressionism certainly influenced the later film noir style.

22. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

Richard--W, BDC and jason88cubs like this.
  23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Third Man, Double Indemnity, The Informer in the 40s, and then for the latter day stuff there's Chinatown, Body Heat, and Blade Runner. I would argue that all of these are not just first-rate noir, but brilliant films that transcend their genres. But there's a lot of fun to be had in the second-tier stuff where the production values aren't as high or the plot and acting are dodgy. Give me a lot of hard, angular shadows and backlit characters and I'm guaranteed to have a good time.

BDC, DorothyV and jason88cubs like this.
  24. G E

G E Senior Member

i saw my first gull wing MB in “Screaming Skull”

... not a noir and not a very good horror flick although it gave me the heebee jeebies at the age of 10

25. G E

G E Senior Member

FredMacmurray would team withKim Novak in Pushover from 1954 more in the vein of Double Indemnity

Jazzmonkie and Timeless Classics like this.