Films Made Or Set In Your Hometown

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting! I didn’t know “Talk Radio” was filmed in Dallas (much less in the KZEW studios). Did you know LaBella, Rody, and Rhyner?

I think a lot of “Robo Cop” was filmed in Dallas (though I could be wrong about that).

samthesham likes this.
  2. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

M. Night Shyamalan's new film Glass was filmed 6 miles from me, and is showing tonight at a theater two miles from that location.

Ghostworld and ianuaditis like this.
  3. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

THE NEXT KARATE KID(1994)filmed largely at Brookline High School(I grew up in Brookline, MA, but didn't go to that school).

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The studio that does animation such as Ice Age is in my hometown, does that count?

Also there was a made for TV movie about Mark Fuhrman investigating the Martha Moxley murder. IMDB says it was filmed in New Zealand, though it's set in Greenwich.

Also the recent 'the land of steady habits' was shot in Tarrytown, NY, which is closer than New Zealand, but still...

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Actually I was there before those individuals...

My group was the origs Jon Dillon , Mark Addy , Mike Taylor , Beverly Beasley , Michael Brown , Ken Rundell& others I can't remember...

Ira Lipson was station manager at the time...

When I started , KZEW like all other stations of the time were trailers w/ towers set up on Cedar Hill....

Then when Belo Broadcasting entered the picture & bought out a lot of privately owned FM stations across the country that's when the Zoo moved to downtown Dallas...

After Belo & corporate takeover FM radio changed forever it is also when program directors entered the scene , no longer could DJs pick & play their own music...

They had to now follow a strict program list...

My job was Director of Communications or PR with bands when they came to the station for visits & to assure their needs were met when we were involved in sponsoring the groups Dallas & Ft Worth shows...

Anyway yes Talk Radio was filmed inside the then new corporate KZEW studios...

You might remember late night 2-6 DJ Charlie Jones , we are friends...

Also Rody & his wife lived on the same street as myself wife & kids in early 80s but we didn't become good friends , just associates , he was busy with radio & I was busy raising a family...

Sorry my reply is a bit winded but I thought you would enjoy a little Zoo history...

Yes Robocop & the 70s sci-fi Logan's Run was filmed in Dallas & if you have interest in Chuck Norris his old TV series Walker Texas Ranger was shot all over Dallas

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I recently watched Gorky Park (1983), an American-produced thriller set in Soviet-era Moscow and the inner workings of the state apparatus. I thought it was very ambitious and set the mood very well. Of course, I was a bit distracted (or rather, intrigued) by being able to identify most of the locations, including some of the interiors, from my experience of living in Helsinki, Finland, the city that played the part of Moscow for the purposes of the film. They had changed a few things to make it look "authentically" Russian but one could still spot shop signs in Finnish.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Live Free or Die (2006) was filmed in the town next to where I live.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Ghostworld and stepeanut like this.
  9. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I'm originally from Carmel, NY. The cult horror film Igor and The Lunatics was shot there in 1985, and a scene from Mr. Deeds was filmed there in 2001 when a helicopter lands in a shopping center (although it's meant to take place in Connecticut):

10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

There is a scene at the end of Birth starring Nicole Kidman filmed in the garden of Sagtikos Manor in Bay Shore, NY where I used to be a docent. It's only a few houses from where Mario Puzo used to live.

11. theox905

theox905 Forum Resident

Mad Max 2 : The Road Warrior (1981) filmed just outside my home town of Broken Hill NSW Australia.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  12. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Yeah, Dan been a while since I've been back too. Webb Air Force base was there that once trained jet pilots before shipping them over to Vietnam at the time. Once we got outta Nam that base pretty much closed shop or the govt found it not essential to remain open. But yeah, you were in the "main area" parts of the opening tracking shots where he walks across the street to the Greyhound bus terminal. On that opposite side of the street there was a old newsstand called Ponchos, and a very old cinema on that side of the street. We used to go to that cinema and I saw a lot of cool films there from Dirty Harry films, to Sci-fi stuff, and all the late 60s films, probably The Last Picture Show too. Which is a lot of what Big Spring is now. :)

There was the diner further down that street where Joe Buck was working as a clean up guy or fry cook, I forget now, that was pretty popular with the locals for breakfast, lunch, etc.

If you remember the early scene of the religious baptism, I think that was shot out at the Big Spring, after the town's namesake, which was a waterhole for travelers, cowboys, Native Americans probably just traveling thru, and animals in the area. Now it's mostly just a small town, not quite a ghost town, and there are worst places in Texas, and smaller. ;) When I lived there though, I didn't mind it.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

ABE!

14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We're in Santa Clarita, CA and there is a pretty robust film industry in our town. Justified, Sons of Anarchy, NCIS, Westworld (HBO), Deadwood (HBO), JAG, A Quiet Place, Bridesmaids, Django Unchained, Furious 7, all 3 Iron Man movies, La La Land, Titanic, Vice... hundreds of productions.

Here is a partial list of productions that have filmed in our valley: Filmed in Santa Clarita - Film Santa Clarita

Of course Netflix's Santa Clarita Diet is filmed locally. Besides being absurdist black comedy, we love watching it to catch all the local references: streets, parks, storefronts and even some in-joke dialogue.

One of our favorite local ah-ha moments was an intense scene in Sons of Anarchy when Jax and his crew were biking heavy metal outside of "Charming, CA" on the way to confront a rival gang.. on a street named Via Princessa which is how we get to WalMart (which was just out of frame). :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

misunderstood, maybe the worst movie in gene hackman's oevre (not counting welcome to mooseport) was filmed in my old school

16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Lots, surprisingly, considering it's such a little ****hole :)

Including;

Bellbottom George (1944)
    Bhaji On The Beach (1993)
    Funny Bones (1995)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Plus the brilliant BBC television show Funland.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  18. Derek Slazenger

Oh yes. Loved that. Especially Sarah Smart. The s/t series with David Morrissey was also superb. Sarah Smart though........

[​IMG]

...are you in the vicinity?

stepeanut likes this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

....she reminds me very much of a less bathycolpian Madeline Smith :)

20. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I was going to add "What About Bob" to your list, since it was Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire is used in the film, but didn't realized they didn't actually shoot there. The movie was filmed in and around the town of Moneta, Virginia, located on Smith Mountain Lake. Production had to move south because at the real Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, the leaves were already turning for the fall season.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

No, I’m in Manchester. I know Blackpool, though. We come over once or twice each summer, for a day out. My girlfriend and I love playing the 2p push machines in the arcades. Our mantelpiece is full of crap we’ve won from them.

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Ice Storm

The Swimmer (Burt Lancaster)

Parts of Stepford Wives

23. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The 1991 movie Rush was based on the autobiographical novel of the same name by a real undercover narcotics agent in my hometown of Tyler, Texas.

Kim Wozencraft - Wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
    The Vanishing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.