Films Made Or Set In Your Hometown

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Hey, I used to live up in Wilderness Rim!

musicfan37 likes this.
  2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

They're filming this weekend at "Lovers Point". nicole kidman is shooting some scenes for "Big Little Lies"

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

How long ago?

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Apparently, Drew Barrymore is filming something right now in Versailles, Kentucky. Thus sayeth the radio DJ.

5. joefont

joefont Senior Member

joefont said:
    Hey, I used to live up in Wilderness Rim!

Moved down to California in '97. Couldn't stand the rain anymore!

musicfan37 likes this.
  6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

“Nobody’s Fool” starring Paul Newman, etc. It was filmed in the Hudson Valley but mainly in Beacon, NY. I used to live at the foot of Mount Beacon and later near Poughkeepsie where other scenes were shot.

SmallDarkCloud and Dan C like this.
  7. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Dan C likes this.
  8. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Bull Durham

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As he was from Kansas City, Robert Altman filmed Kansas City here. The set for the Jazz Club was actually a former Wendy's.

10. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Paducah, KY:
    Raintree County
    How The West Was Won
    The River Rat
    In Country
    U.S. Marshalls

12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

For all the movies and TV shows set in Washington, almost none are actually shot here.

Jack Lord likes this.
  13. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not quite in my hometown (sorry OP) but in a very nearby village... Hugh Grant in The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain. A couple of my friends were extras (typecast as miserable Welshmen :laugh:)

[​IMG]

14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Halifax.

Titanic (parts of)
    The Shipping News (parts of)
    Dolores Claiborne
    The Hanging Garden
    K-19: The Widowmaker
    The Lighthouse
    Outlander (parts of)
    Trailer Park Boys: The Movie
    Two If By Sea
    The Weight of Water
    Love and Death on Long Island
    Ghost Ship
    A Rumor of Angels
    Moby Dick (2011 remake)
    Bag of Bones (TV movie)
    Jesse Stone TV movies
    The Mist TV series
    Haven TV series (parts of)

15. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

I was a resident of Lawrence, Kansas during the production of THE DAY AFTER, a made-for-tv movie, in 1982. Hundreds, if not thousands, of students and under-employed locals were found jobs as radiation-poisoned extras. Garage sales were cleaned out all over town to provide rubble. I recall walking downtown to check out the used record stores inventory and finding the street strewn with overturned cars and assorted debris.
    The production raised awareness regarding the finality of nuclear war and provided a jolt for the Lawrence economy. The movie itself was a phenomena in 1983, worth checking out.

"Imagine a room awash in gasoline, and there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine thousand matches, the other seven thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. Well, that’s the kind of situation we are actually in.” Carl Sagan, participant in the live panel discussion following the initial screening of THE DAY AFTER on ABC.

Max Florian, mr. k and Macman like this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Buffalo, NY

Hide In Plain Sight - 1978 - James Caan
    Best Friends - 1982 - Burt Reynolds, Goldie Hawn
    The Natural - 1984 - Robert Redford
    Bruce Almighty - 2003 - Jim Carrey, Steve Carell

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  17. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Back To School - Rodney Dangerfield

18. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Much of Wolf Rilla's 1960 version of The Village of the Damned was shot in Hertfordshire (UK), not far from where I was living at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JoeOnWheels likes this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that hillside :love::love::love:

20. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I was an extra in Vision Quest. It was filmed in Spokane, WA where I lived and went to school at the time.

[​IMG]

If I remember correctly, Madonna filmed her performance at a local watering hole.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I've lived/worked in the major metropolitan areas on the coasts, including the NY metro area, DC metro area, LA metro area and SF metro area, so this covers many of the settings of major studio releases. In one recent example, my office is near Fisherman's wharf in San Fran, where the famous scene in Ant Man and the Wasp was shot.

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

My whole family is from Mansfield. I’ve been there many times since the late 70s.

JM Jones likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

1999's Girl, Interrupted, starring Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie, was filmed in nearby Mechanicsburg (across the river from Harrisburg) and Harrisburg's old, relatively-abandoned hospital up on 3rd Street. I was living in Hershey at the time, working In Elizabethtown, then Harrisburg.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

One of my favorites - The Spook Who Sat by the Door

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

My roommate from college came from the same town as a director of intentionally horrible B-movie slasher films. Even though they were shot on the outskirts of his hometown, he didn't realize it until he went into one of his classes and recognized an actress from the movie! Turns out that the director was a perfectionist to the point of being abusive, even though the movies are intentionally terrible. The next year, one of his friends ended up working with that director on another project and confirmed that he was indeed a pain to work with. I'd post some titles, but they're not exactly appropriate for this forum. Just know that my roommate loves terrible movies - the worse, the better. That should give you an idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.