Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

There was a supernatural horror movie with Roger Daltrey in 1979 called “The Legacy.” It was hugely popular on Pay Tv channels in the early 1980s, but since then it seems to have completely disappeared. I thought it had several terrifying sequences, including the woman trapped under the surface of the pool who couldn’t get out because the surface had turned to glass. I
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    64FALCON likes this.
  2. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I have never heard of this one but looks like it did well when it was released. It is right about Matthau being sick, he actually had a heart attack so filming was suspended while he recovered. Matthau went on to win an Academy Award for best supporting actor. It was also the first film that Lemmon and Matthau made together.

So whilst I've never heard of it it was a successful film in it's time so, at least for me, this one is a great example of the OPs request :)

3. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

It's funny you should say this there is one that was (is) hugely popular in the UK... The Wanderers the one about the Teddy Boys and the Baldies. Loads of great music in the film. I've never known it be on UK TV. It gained popularity in the early 80s due to VHS rentals.

4. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

A great movie with Barry Newman I know it was remade with Viggo Mortenson in the staring role but this is the best

[​IMG]

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

The Ice Harvest. Good crime movie, good actors.

AndrewK and Jazzmonkie like this.
  6. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

I remember that one! Daltrey chokes on a chicken bone, when he wasn't eating chicken!

64FALCON and yesstiles like this.
  7. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

That's one I like to show friends. Great performances all around.

formu_la likes this.
  8. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Didn't help that Wilder opted to make it in B&W about a year or so after it was still possible to get away with doing that.

Kiss Me Stupid is also hurt by being in B&W, though that movie is so bad that it's probably better off if B&W drives people away.

9. ‘Melvin and Howard” a terrific early wry Jonathan Demme film about Melvin Dummar who claimed he met Howard Hughes, picked him up in the desert, took him to the Sands motel and Hughes included him in his will giving him 1/16th of his fortune. It’s an early film for Mary Steenburgen and Pam Reed and also has Michael J. pollard, Jason Robards and even John Glover in supporting roles for star Paul LeMat.

unclefred, Jazzmonkie and rockerreds like this.
  10. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

Good pick.
    Missing in Action: The Lost Version of Vanishing Point - FilmInt.nu is an interesting read, including an analysis of a cut scene with Charlotte Rampling that the author felt would have significantly enhanced the film as a whole.

I was left confused after initially reading the wiki, re: story line, and then realized I mistakenly thought I saw a version with a completely different ending, during my single viewing on broadcast TV decades ago. I recall (.. spoiler alert ahead - and don't look at the YouTube frame, below, either ..) seeing Kowalski drive into the bulldozers' blades and simply disappearing. No explosion, no wreckage. I assumed it represented his meta-physical transfer to another dimension, since at that speed I doubt he appreciated any of the pyrotechnics he initiated. And the cops were left dumbfounded.

My memory obviously conflated it with another movie's ending - or maybe I experienced a transfer to another dimension at the time. o_O

And .. isn't that Francis Ford Coppola .. raising his 35mm camera .. as the last bystander panned, just before Barry grins and proceeds to buy the farm?

)

Another favorite existential entry for me, also rarely brought up, is Runaway Train ('85), w/ Jon Voight, Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Mornay.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  11. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I remember Runaway train a great film

unclefred, Spokeless and formu_la like this.
  12. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Bad Boys (1983). With Sean Penn & Reni Santoni. Sean Penn winds up in juvie hall, and all sorts of adventures occur. Flows really well, with a great ending. Worth a visit.

Spastica, YardByrd and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Three Into Two Won't Go, Rod Steiger, Claire Bloom, Judy Geeson. Released in the US in 1970, it was later re-edited with new footage shot by NBC for television release. Peter Hall, the director, disowned it. There may not be a complete original version available.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's a good one...

I would wager though, that if you mentioned that film name to a majority of folks on the street, most would probably think you're referring to the Will Smith/Martin Lawrence vehicle.

geetar_await likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Saw this absolutely wild film last night...

This girl from Kansas travels to a foreign land where she kills someone, hooks up with three very strange guys and they venture out to kill again.

Anyone else see this one?The title escapes me...

razerx likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is that the one with that little "therapy dog" that she says is a service animal so she can take it into the stores?

17. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

D. O. A.

This movie has been remade twice (the first time as Kiss Me Deadly). I know that the original and the third version (also named D. O. A.) have been released on home video but it seems like this movie has faded from the public consciousness.

rmath84 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  19. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Avatar is like an Adele album. No-one talks about it for years, but when a new one comes out, everyone goes crazy.

mozz likes this.
  20. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

Wish You Were Here lovely british film from 1987 one of my favorites from that time.
    Sadly both the movie and the protagonist Emily Lloyd are now forgotten.

21. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

Omega Man

YardByrd and joy stinson like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Charlotte Rampling .. easy on the eye.

a customer likes this.
  23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The verdict with Paul Newman
    His last great film

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Last great role for James Mason too.

25. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

As long as we're talking about Paul Newman obscurities… Paris Blues (1961), Newman and Sidney Poitier are expat jazz musicians who romance Joanne Woodward and Diahann Carroll. With Louie Armstrong and a score by Duke Ellington!