Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

For a reason :)

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watched Traffic. Delightful!

I think that is my first experience with the guy, but I have heard of him.

Khorn likes this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

“Momento” (2000)​

4. It’s not causative. It just predicted what was already in the wind.

5. Altered States for a very nice looking Blu-Ray release about a decade ago. Would love to see a 4k

6. ‘The Last Wave’. It still has t received a blu-ray release. I keep hoping that Criterion will do it since they did ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock.’

7. Early Michael Mann movie “The Keep”. It did get a DVD release. The film turned out pretty awful and is one of the few films that Mann had no final cut on. Paramount took it away and recut it into a barely comprehensible horror flick..woild love to see if Mann’s original cut exists out there somewhere.

8. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

A couple of Gary Coleman-starred theatrical movies from the early 1980s: ON THE RIGHT TRACK (1981) and JIMMY THE KID (1983).

I think "Jimmy the Kid" was filmed in 1981 and intended for released in 1982 but then held back until early '83.

Looking For Today likes this.
  9. Looking For Today

Looking For Today The Crowded Future Stings My Eyes

Just had a release not all that long ago. Need a region free player though for this one.

The Last Wave (4K UHD + Blu-Ray) (1977)

64FALCON likes this.
  10. Looking For Today

Released by Fun City Editions/Vinegar Syndrome not too long ago. The Coca Cola Kid – Vinegar Syndrome

Mylene and unclefred like this.
  11. Looking For Today

And Scouts Honour(1980)

12. Looking For Today

Box Of Moonlight
    The Nickel Ride
    To Kill A Clown

64FALCON likes this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Greta Scacchi: actresses nobody mentions anymore.

14. Thanks. For the 4K it is region free so K am fine with that.

Looking For Today likes this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

She was stunning in A Man In Love, a movie that’s missing now from everywhere.

16. Looking For Today

Awesome. Looks like a great package.

17. ledzepfan63

ledzepfan63 Forum Resident

nobody mentions those great john wayne movies anymore.clint eastwood either.

64FALCON likes this.
  18. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Couple of nuggets in regards to Posts #561 and #562:

SCOUTS HONOUR was a made-for-television movie -- not that it isn't long-forgotten by most everyone, it's just that it wasn't a theatrical feature. Coleman made several other TV films in the early-to-mid '80s and all those are forgotten, too.

In regards to "The Nickel Ride" (1975) . . . it never came out on VHS and when it did come out on DVD it did not come out alone; it was paired with the 1974 gangster movie "99 & 44/100% DEAD!", which itself only came out on video one time: The 1982-issue '20th Century Fox Video' sliding-drawer box release. It then went OOP and stayed that way until 2011, I believe it was, when the 'Two-fer" disc from Fox was issued with "Nickel Ride" and "Dead!". Since I wanted to see "Nickel Ride" I bought the Double-Feature disc. :righton:

I have an aging MEDIA Home Entertainment tape of "To Kill a Clown" (1972). I don't know if it has ever been issued on a digital homevideo medium?

Speaking of movies with 'Nickel' in the title: The 1980 drama ON THE NICKEL starring 'Papa Walton' (Ralph Waite) was released in the mid-80s on Vestron Video and I don't think has been re-issued since. I've not seen another video release except the lone issue from Vestron.

---------------------------------

Here's a movie that I reckon should have been issued on a DVD or Blu-Ray by now, but I don't believe it has: LAST SUMMER, the 1969 Frank Perry drama about how evil can quietly manifest itself before boiling over. ALLIED ARTISTS VIDEO CORP. put it out on tape before the company went bankrupt in September 1979 and later in the mid-80s KEY VIDEO issued "Last Summer". And when the Key tape went out-of-print the movie has remained OOP since. → Maybe there's no use-able film elements? I dunno. Perry died in the mid-1990s so no one can ask him.

19. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

The Entity
    The Hearse
    Eating Raoul
    Hot Stuff
    Zapped
    Bronco Billy
    Howard the Duck

Don't hear much anymore about 80s comedies like Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, Meatballs, etc.

One of my mom's favorite movies...and she's the only person I've heard mention it in 20+ years.

Only the Lonely - One of my favorite John Candy movies...watch it every year.

Quick Change - One of my favorite Geena Davis movies. A lot of her movies fly under the radar now... another example is the Long Kiss Goodnight.

Devil In A Blue Dress - Saw this for the first time last year. Amazing... immediately became a top 5 Denzel movie to me.

Don Cheadle deserved an Oscar.

I watched this last year. Started out great but they ruin it by pulling back on the scandal. If they weren't willing to own it, don't make the scandal so.... scandalous. :crazy:

One of the best movies of the 1970s IMO.

Videodrome needs a remake with smartphones and social media in place of TV.

I only watched this once...at the theater with Armed and Dangerous as a double feature. :pineapple:

Good movie. :shtiphat:

Great movie. I really liked Eric Gurry's character in this.

I still haven't watched this but this movie has been talked about off and on for the past 25 years on Guns N Roses forums due to the fact that the song This I Love was supposed to be on the soundtrack but the director vetoed the idea.

On the subject of River's Edge...Glover deserved an Oscar nom.

Thwacko, agundy and 64FALCON like this.
  20. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Shucks, I remember THE ENTITY now that you mention it. That was one of the few movies that really freaked me out. The fear of the unknown. A sex-crazed blob of energy.

The first half of MUTANT (1984) was very eerie even if the SFX in the movie weren't great. Second half not as good but the first half of the film really gave off a vibe of eerily empty town at night.

But, hey, it was still pretty good overall and worth a watch. I can't think of anyone who's mentioned MUTANT in ages.

21. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Eating Raoul was just on TCM last night.. My DVR is near full, though.

Thwacko and 64FALCON like this.
  22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

EATING RAOUL airs on TCM quite a bit. I've seen it shown on TCM a number of times in the recent past. 3 times, I think. I like it more now than I did the first time I saw it.

Lightworker likes this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lust in the Dust

24. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

There's another thread about performances by bands/singers in movies, and the first I thought of was guitarist Stanley Jordan . For some reason I thought that was in Something Wild (1986) which I enjoyed immensely. Researching it though and I realised I was wrong - it was in fact. Blind Date (1987) with Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger. Now that's a movie which I recall being quite big at the time - probably bigger than the similarly-premised Something Wild - but I had completely forgotten about. Watching a few clips made me realise why though as it wasn't terrifically good.

25. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Same thing could be said for many Blake Edwards movies, especially the last ones from the 80's. In those days he was talked about like some kind of comedy genius, but not anymore, I think.

64FALCON likes this.