Films not yet released in HD/blu-ray that you're pining for...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bleachershane, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's still tons of films out there that haven't made the leap to blu-ray/HD (or received limited, non-English friendly overseas releases) and I was wondering what sort of titles are you hoping appear in your lifetime...!

Off the top of my head:
    Most of Pedro Almodovar's output, especially Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
    Chopper (starring Eric Bana)
    Night of the Demon (Curse of the Demon)
    Dolores Claiborne
    Dobermann
    Les Visiteurs
    Kontroll
    Dumplings
    Buddy Boy
    Garage
    The Station Agent (starring Peter Dinklage, later of humongous fame in "Game of Thrones)
    Most of Theo Angelopoulos' filmography
    Most of Emir Kusturica's filmography

There's probably a good ton more I've not listed...

mep and SMcFarlane like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Hang on to those DVDs!

bleachershane likes this.
  3. bleachershane

In some case I wonder if a lot of the films I'm waiting for will ever get a HD release... so yes, I'm not letting go of my DVDs, yet!

4. audiomixer

At this point in time, when streaming is the new reality, chances don't look so good. :(

5. bleachershane

I agree, smaller (okay, miniscule!) demand titles, especially like those I listed have the barest chance of physical medium releases. I'm quite anti-streaming, I'd even rather purchase a file than need to have an internet connection any time I wanted to watch or listen to something. I think the digital market is STILL playing catch up though, not offering files for fair prices. How can you charge physical media prices, or even more so in some cases, when buying nothing but the transmission of a file as opposed to the manufacturing, distribution and storage of a physical item?
    So I'd still like to see upgraded releases for many titles, even if it means purchasing a rather large high-definition file!

thxdave and audiomixer like this.
  6. audiomixer

I'm in total agreement.

7. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

My biggest is Pandora's Box. Come on Criterion, you knew it was important enough to merit a two disc edition, packaged with a book. No Blu-Ray?

Most of Ken Russell's filmography hasn't had a satisfactory DVD release, let alone Blu-Ray. Gothic, Salome's Last Dance, Lair of the White Worm...all pan-and-scan, or horrible VHS quality transfers, etc. I picked up what is supposedly a legit issue of The Devils that's an absolute train wreck. It's almost unwatchable. I downloaded a bootleg file that isn't very good, but it still blows my DVD out of the water.

Peter Greenaway's Pillow Book has never had an acceptable video release (although I admittedly haven't checked recently.) The film's fascinating enough that even a butchered edition can catch your attention, but it's ridiculous. Even keeping the limitations of the day in mind, I can't believe that anybody gave the thumbs up on the DVD.

8. bleachershane

I've too have seen a few pan and scan titles (they were even relatively common in the early days of DVD), but the worst are blatant VHS transfers, only yesterday I was watching a DVD of "The City of the Dead", a so-so Christopher Lee horror, but the DVD itself was the biggest horror, awful transfer and I'm 99% certain it was sourced from a VHS tape... *sigh*

I would've thought Ken Russell's filmography would've been treated to high-def upgrades by now. Some of the titles I've mentioned have at least received watchable DVD releases, when that hasn't even happened yet the demand for upgrades should be even higher!

MadMelMon likes this.
  9. The Day Of The Jackal
    The Naked Spur
    Open Range

10. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

The Great Silence

Jackson and bleachershane like this.
  11. bleachershane

According to blu-ray.com The Pillow Book has received a release in the US, but no review so far: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pillow-Book-Blu-ray/127978/#Forum

MadMelMon likes this.
  12. bleachershane

Open Range is only 12 years old, and yet no blu-ray, yet. Those ones particularly baffle me.

BNell likes this.
  13. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Demon Seed, I'm surprised Warner Bros. hasn't released this yet as they have a great sellection of catalog titles from the 70's like The Omega Man, Soylent Green, Logan's Run or Coma.

15. Strictly sales potential and not having a company license it. The major studios have backed off of many catalog titles. The World According to Garp only just received a BD release and that film was nominated for Oscars and featured an Oscar winning performance.

I think it got the releaee it did because of Robin Williams death.

16. Night/Curse of the Demon is available from France as a region free BD if I recall correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/CURSE-DEMON-NIGHT-2013-MASTER-REGION/dp/B00KI2QD38

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  17. mgoad30

mgoad30 Forum Resident

Jaws 2 & Night of the Living Dead

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Team America from South Park guys in R1(delayed yet again)
    Stuff like Ginger/Astaire musical
    Marx Bros
    Punch Drunk Love
    True Lies & Abyss
    Seinfeld
    Cheers
    Buffy
    X-Files
    Monkees
    Frasier
    Undeclared(Apatow TV show)
    u2 has 2-3 DVD only concert films shot in HD
    Muse 2007 DVD only concert film
    Blur 2009/2012 DVD only concert films
    Springsteen has 2-4 HD concert films that are DVD only
    Neil Young has a couple later period DVD/LD only releases in HD

AFAIK, almost nobody is doing blu-ray comps of music videos. Rammstein/Twilight soundtrack/Beyonce may be the only exceptions.

Couple guilty pleasures like Drop Dead Gorgeous/Pretty Persuasion/Thirteen from the past 15 years.

Quark1134 and bleachershane like this.
  19. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Open Range has been released in the Scandinavian countries, Germany and France so far.

The French one is the only region free edition but colour timing is said to be a bit off going by those who have seen it.

The Scandinavian and The German have a wee bit of banding but I've only spotted it in one scene.

The German edition has a good selection of extras but I think those are largely 50Hz so of little use to anyone in the Americas without a compatible player on top of being Region B locked, the opening title is also displayed as Weites Land on-screen and not Open Range. They have a comparison of the German DVD and the corresponding BD of Open Range over at Caps-a-holic.

20. The World's Greatest Sinner

Regginold31 and bleachershane like this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Cabeza de Vaca
    Shackleton's Arctic Adventure (documentary)

22. mep

mep Forum Resident

My Movie Top 5 still missing on BD:

01. Duel In The Sun
    02. Last Train From Gun Hill
    03. Original Star Wars Trilogy
    04. True Lies
    05. Twins

My TV Top 10 still missing on BD:

01. Buffy
    02. Seinfeld
    03. X-Files
    04. Carnivale
    05. Six Feet Under
    06. How I Met Your Mother
    07. Cheers
    08. Frasier
    09. Fawlty Towers
    10. Columbo

23. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Mostly shot on video, putting it on BD would be a wasted effort.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The Marx Brothers films
    The Pink Panther films (except the first one)
    The Gods Must Be Crazy
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    The War of the Worlds
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Roman Holiday

25. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Richard Linklater's 'Suburbia' never made it to DVD, let alone blu. I've no idea why. Still hanging on to that VHS tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.