Films on DVD that now differ on Blu-ray release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NightGoatToCairo, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

MartyTem, The Hud and artfromtex like this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It had been ages since we'd seen TRUE LIES, so this past week I dug out my letterboxed LaserDisc. The image was of course a little soft on the 60" Sony, but with some adjustments to chroma levels, a zoom-in, and a little noise reduction, it was an enjoyable trek through a movie I always liked. - except for getting up to change the disc...

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Bump!

This might be relevant but I just remembered something regarding Rocky Horror.

Here's how "Over at the Frankenstein Place" sounds on the DVD and here's how it sounds on the BluRay.

Oh, and buy an umbrella, you cheap bitch!

4. It would be costly to go back and redo the scenes for BD or 4K as the visual effects and edit were prepared in standard definition.

It’s doable but it’s in CBS ballpark now.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. I think on the case of Star Trek The Motion Picture is Paramount who has to decide if it's done or not. If I'm not mistaken CBS controls the Star Trek rights for television productions, and Paramount who has the rights for theatrical releases.

6. Yes true but CBS owns the rights to the previous films prior to the division to,split the two.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. So,what Star Trek theatrical movies does CBS owns?

8. As I recall all of the films until the split. Paramount owns and markets everything on the alternate time line Trek. CBS owns all original series/Next Gen Trek. Someone correct if I'm wrong as I haven't read the article about the outcome in years but that's the way it split. The conflict between the two corporate entities hobbled J.J. Abrams attempts to tie in marketing to the NEW Trek in a big way.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  9. Then if CBS has a say on Star Trek The Motion Picture I don't see why they don't remake the Director's Cut on either 2K or 4K,after all they add new effects to the original series and 7 seasons of TNG, a 2 hour and a half+ movie should be a piece of cake for them at this point.

The Hud likes this.
  10. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Thanks for the heads up. On a quest to find the HD theatrical version.

I can dig it!

NickCarraway likes this.
  11. It's expensive and the crew that worked on the original series is disbanded. They would have to literally go back to the raw camera negative. It wouldn't be hard to do but the way that media is selling now it might be difficult to predict how well it would do sales wise. The Next Generation on Blu-ray for example had diminishing sales after each season. There has to be a certain level of profitability for them to consider it. Will it be a piece of cake? It should be easier because they found all of the footage, trims, etc. for the original negative and it should, hopefully, be well archived now. I would love for them to do it but I don't expect they will even though they did do a very nice restoration for Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

12. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I had the Universal CE DVD, which I bought brand new at Best Buy back in the day, tried to play it the other day, and the disc won't play on any of my various players, disc rot I suspect.:shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.