Films that never materialized?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that Zinneman approached Charlton Heston to play Custer but he turned it down. It was going to have an $18m budget which back in the late 50's, early 60's would have, I guess, been a big deal. One of the reasons it never happened was because of the financial impact Fox suffered due to the production of Cleopatra... A shame as whilst there have been a few attempts at getting this on film none of them have quite come off. They Died With Their Boots On gets closest to the character of Custer himself with Errol Flynn's tremendous performance but the film itself rivals Braveheart for historical innacuracies...

2. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

kouzie likes this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

And it wasn't even Flynn's most inaccurate film. :laugh:

[​IMG]

Phil147 likes this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The film itself materialized, but n0t with this star. Or this director. Or this screenwriter.

[​IMG]

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

After they worked together on Lilith (1964) Robert Rossen signed Peter Fonda to a multi-film contract, which was to begin with an adaptation of Mark Harris' baseball novel Bang The Drum Slowly. However Rossen's 1966 death prevented the project from being realized.

6. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Which I can only assume would have starred Bobby Rydell, and been titled: "Rebel!"

- Kevin

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

The Black Hole reboot

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Was wondering what happened to the next Sigourney Alien film that followed Aliens.
    Dropped after the last Ridley prequel bombed?

9. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned Nicholas Cage’s Superman movie? Tim Burton was to have directed, I think.
    [​IMG]

Vidiot and David Campbell like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I've got an old cutting from Disc from the early 70s. It reports that Bowie was looking at scripts for Robert Heinlein's 'Stranger In A Strange Land'. It never came off, obviously. The seed was planted though. Hence 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' I reckon. He must have felt he wanted to do that type of film. Shame. He should have gone with 'Stranger'.

Chris DeVoe and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Maybe film budget constraints with Heinlein’s novel, non adaptable to the big screen circa..1970’s.

crowlibrarian likes this.
  13. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

"The Freak" by Charlie Chaplin.
    Think he was working on scripts between mid 60's and 70's and also filmed some tests on 16mm colour film.
    My hope is that somebody makes this in black and white using Chaplin's ideas.

14. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

There were frequent reports of moving Kiefer Sutherland’s “24” series to the big screen, but it stalled out at the script stage and instead kept coming back to TV in various incarnations. In the current issue of TV Guide, there’s an item indicating that another return to TV is being considered.

I seem to recall that David Lynch had made a deal to do three Twin Peaks theatrical movies, but the poor box office performance of ‘Fire Walk With Me’ put an end to that.

David Campbell likes this.
  15. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Jerry Lewis - “The Day the Clown Cried”
    [​IMG]

EVOLVIST, fr in sc and Jimmy B. like this.
  16. Jimbo62

Jimbo62 Forum Resident

Brad Pitt was going to play George Custer in an adaptation of the fictional account of the battle of the Little Big Horn,"Marching To Valhalla" back in 1997. It's a very good book by the way. According to this, New Line Cinema paid $3 million for the rights to the book: BRAD PITT WON'T BE SADDLING UP FOR WESTERN ABOUT GEN. CUSTER

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

There were plans a few years ago for a Syd Barrett biopic that unfortunately never materialized.

18. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

At the end of Silverado, Kevin Costner shouts "We'll be back!"...which sort of suggested a sequel. Kline, Costner, Glover and Glenn had good chemistry, too bad a second movie didn't materialize.

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Fartman
    Hans and Fran

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Unfinished Films

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Cowboys are the only ones who stay in tune, anyway.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

During the bachelor pad/lounge music revival of the 90's there was talk of an Esquivel biopic. As far as I know it never happened.

23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

There were plans for a film version of KISS' Music From 'The Elder' but when the album tanked, so did the project.

At one time, Howard Stern's production company was working on a remake of Rock N Roll High School, which would have been directed by Alex "Bill & Ted" Winter.

24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

1967: Shirley Clarke was planning a movie starring The Fugs, Allen Ginsberg, and William S. Burroughs.

[​IMG]

Farmer Mike likes this.
  25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Sean Penn was rumoured to play folk- rock causality Phil Ochs during the mid 80s..

I was dying from anticipation & sadly it never materialized

crowlibrarian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.