Films, TV shows, etc. on laserdisc, but *not* on DVD or Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

A DVD would probably only be of interest to Star Trek fanatics, but the special longer version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture was only released on laser disc (and VHS). [The theatrical version is on BD; the director's edition is on DVD.]

2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

Altman's 1970 Brewster McCloud
    Charles Bronson 1977 The White Buffalo,
    though the laser disc of the latter was pretty obscure,
    as part of a boxed set of Bronson.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Available on DVD on Amazon at this link.

Available on DVD-on-demand from Amazon at this link.

By an amazing coincidence, I did the video mastering on both for the original 1980s laserdisc releases. I'm positive the new releases have to look better.

4. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Hawks (1988) starring Timothy Dalton and Anthony Edwards. The LD isn't exactly a beauty as far as PQ is concerned but since there wasn't a DVD released of this anywhere in the world it is the only thing I have of it.

5. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Laurie Anderson - Home Of The Brave
    Lisztomania - It's out as a non-anamorphic UK DVD, but no region 1 in sight.

6. SACripps

SACripps Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Definitive Collection :)

Jaws: Special Edition, with the documentary and novel

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Kate Bush's music videos from back in the 1970s-1980s have had LD releases but no DVD, the same with Amy Grant's Age To Age Concert, Find a Way and Old Fashioned Christmas.

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Richard Thompson's Across A Crowded Room, a really amazing band performance though not a great video (interesting to see RT before he went bald, though). RT has said he's quite comfortable with it not being available.

9. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Bruce Willis' "The Return of Bruno". Own the LD but wouldn't mind it getting an upgrade.

scobb likes this.
  10. That's too bad as it's an amazing performance. Not sure why he does t like it.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's probably just his general reluctance to look back. He says all he can hear (and in this case, see) is the flaws.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The only laserdise i own..the charlatans some friendly live..i believe only parts have been released on a compilation dvd..

13. BradOlson

Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger movie has been released on VHS and LD but not on DVD or LD.

14. BradOlson

15. Kevin H.

Kevin H. New Member

THE KEEP! :rant: Directed by Michael Mann

It was set to release in 2004, then was shelved due to legal BS concerning the soundtrack. It's been in limbo ever since.:mudscrying:
    So why didn't anyone have a problem with it being on LD?

16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I got it from Netflix a fine 16x9 print

17. Kevin H.

Kevin H. New Member

yeah, that's kool,
    but *not* on DVD or Blu-ray which is a must for collectors like me

18. Kevin H.

Kevin H. New Member

I also would like to add "PAPERHOUSE" to the list. A good underrated film. :waiting:
    Paperhouse.JPG

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Been on a Warner Bros. cartoon kick for the past couple of days, so I hauled out some of the early 90's LD compilations.

Surprisingly, a number of the cartoons on the discs have never been released on DVD or blu-ray.

Some of the shorts might have been released with different WB feature DVDs as bonuses, but none have appeared in proper LT/MM collections.

Hare Beyond Compare:
    Hare Lift
    Robot Rabbit
    Rabbit Every Monday
    Mutiny on the Bunny
    Beanstalk Bunny
    Knights Must Fall

Winner By A Hare:
    The Fair Haired Hare
    Captain Hareblower
    Hare Trimmed
    (on DVD in fake widescreen)

Looney Tunes Assorted Nuts:
    A Hound For Trouble
    Pests For Guests
    A Sheep In The Deep

Guffaw and Order:
    The Blow Out
    Boston Quackie
    Bugsy and Mugsy
    Porky's Movie Mystery

Longitude and Looneytude:
    Mouse Mazurka
    The Timid Toreador
    Trip For Tat

Wince Upon A Time:
    A-Lad-In His Lamp (This great Bugs cartoon was released a couple of times on VHS and on this LD. [Could its non-DVD/blu-ray status be because of its middle-east setting?] One of the funniest WB cartoons, with both Mel Blanc and Jim Backus putting in great performances, so its current unavailability is a shame.)
    Pied Piper Porky
    Porky the Giant Killer
    Porky's Hero Agency
    Rabbitson Crusoe

Duck Victory:
    Daffy Dilly (on DVD in fake widescreen)
    Stork Naked (on DVD in fake widescreen)
    Cracked Quack
    Don't Axe Me
    Muscle Tussle
    (one of my favorite McKimson Daffy cartoons)

There are also the Golden Age of Looney Tunes boxed sets (vols. 1-5), and two Japan-only sets - all of which a filled with many cartoons not on DVD or blu-ray.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

21. BradOlson

I meant DVD or Blu-Ray.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My guess is they released it, then after the fact, somebody checked the contracts and said "whoops!"

In some cases, the studio could legally say, "we don't have the rights, so we have to replace some of the music," but Mann could say, "you can't release the movie if you make any changes," so that would kill any release. I don't think Mr. Mann likes the movie very much.

23. A cool aviation Pioneer LaserDics from the mid 80s:

1) Snowbirds - Rolling In The Sky

Snowbirds Rolling In The Sky.jpg

There was another one called "Blue Angels Rolling In The Sky" but that did make it to DVD eventually. They never made one in this time frame featuring the USAF Thunderbirds, but there was one showing the 1980 Thunderbirds team just not for this series.

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

A bit off topic, but after playing the WB cartoons LDs, I realized at least one way they are better than DVDs & blu-rays...

You can get right to watching the program. No need to sit through FBI warnings, company logos, disclaimers, trailers, or any other kind of garbage you're forced to endure with more modern types of media.

You throw the LD in the machine, and after the few seconds it takes to fire up, you're off and running.

The Golden Age of Looney Tunes DVD sets are obnoxious with the constant politically correct disclaimers about the cartoons being from a different era, with different ides, etc. (Whoopie Goldberg was even used in one of the sets to tell us why she loves WB cartoons and that they are products of their time, and that the stereotypes were wrong then as they are now, but to edit the cartoons is like pretending the stereotypes never existed (yada, yada, yada).)

Try sitting through that every time you just want to enjoy a simple 6-minute cartoon.

You can often fast-forward through the DVD disclaimers/trailers, but in many cases, you cannot.

So, for rapid random access, LDs have yet to be surpassed.

OK, rant over... :D

25. If they finished the missing visual effects, I think it would be worthwhile. Seeing the edge of the set with unfinished footage was just shoddy work on Paramounts part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.