Final Curtain (the Visual Arts obituary thread)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Marvel Artist Marie Severin Dies at 89

[​IMG]

Marie Severin, a comic book artist and colorist best known for her work on Marvel titles including The Incredible Hulk, Kull the Conqueror and the humor title Not Brand Ecch, has died. She was 89.

Severin’s death followed her move into hospice care after a second stroke this week; she suffered her first in 2007. Her death was announced on Facebook by longtime friend and former Marvel staffer Irene Vartanoff.

Severin initially entered the industry as a colorist for EC Comics when her older brother, the late comic book artist John Severin, was working for the company and needed someone to color his pages. She would go on to color titles across the company’s line until it folded, then ended up at the nascent Marvel Comics in the late 1950s, when she served as a production and paste-up artist and colorist before going on to pencil and ink stories in her own right. She served as Marvel’s head colorist until 1972, when she left the position to concentrate on penciling and inking.

In addition to her interior artwork, Severin designed the original costume for Spider-Woman, and designed and illustrated merchandise for Marvel’s special projects division. In the 1980s, she was one of the core artists on the short-lived “Star Comics” line, aimed at younger readers.

Outside of her Marvel portfolio, she contributed to titles for DC, Claypool Comics and Fantagraphics. She was named the Best Humor Penciler in 1974’s Shazam Awards and won the Inkpot Award at 1988’s San Diego Comic-Con. In 2001, she was inducted into the Will Eisner Comics Hall of Fame.​

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

RIP Vanessa Marquez (1968–2018).:cry: I'm so sad to hear about what happened to you and how your life was such a struggle for so long. As a sufferer of mental illness myself, this just breaks my heart and I wish you to be at peace now. I remember you well in the movie Stand And Deliver. I will never forget you. God Bless You.

Vanessa Marquez - IMDb

3. JozefK

Vanessa Marquez, 'ER' actress, killed in California police shooting - CNN

Vanessa Marquez, an actress best known for her recurring role as a nurse on the NBC drama "ER," was shot and killed by police in South Pasadena, California on Thursday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Police were called to the 1100 Block of Fremont Avenue in South Pasadena just before 2 p.m. local time on Thursday to perform a welfare check. Upon arrival, Marquez, 49, was having seizures and appeared to be suffering from mental issues, officials told CNN.
    After about 90-minutes of trying to offer Marquez medical help, police said she armed herself with what appeared to be a handgun and police opened fire.

The weapon turned out to be a BB gun, investigators said.

Marquez played nurse Wendy Goldman on "ER" for three seasons, from 1994-97. Though her character never had major storylines, she was sometimes involved in episode subplots, some of which had a light-hearted bent.

Marquez's other credits included 1988's "Stand and Deliver" and "Seinfeld."​

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I remember watching this episode of Intervention (see below) when it first aired but I never ever watched a single episode of ER, so I did not know that Vanessa Marquez was in that series and in the movie "Stand And Deliver" from 1988 since I only knew and remembered her from that movie visually but I did not know her by name until today which saddens me more and turns my stomach. Plus this was 30 years ago when she was just a young lady in that movie so she looks different from then but still very beautiful. When her death was reported on the news, I looked her up and that's how I remembered her from "Stand And Deliver." The Intervention episode below features her and another individual with addiction issues. Such a sweet young intelligent mild mannered lady with major mental health issues holding her back that just hit home with me.:shake: Plus other issues beyond her control from what I have read online which is another story. Way too young for her to die in such a senseless way.:(

*Note* Please remember this is a memorial thread to pay tribute to Vanessa and others celebrities that have passed away and remember their work and career. Please don't break forum rules here in discussing the circumstances of her death. That is already being discussed elsewhere on the web but it would definitely break the rules here. Again, RIP Vanessa.:sigh:

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. Django

Django Forum Resident

8. JozefK

RIP to half the Pigeon Sisters

Carole flanked by Art Carney and Monica Evans in the original Broadway production of The Odd Couple

[​IMG]

With Jack Lemmon in the film version

[​IMG]

fr in sc and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Scooterpiety

13. Scooterpiety

Damn! I have been a fan of hers since I was a kid. She was extremely talented and should have been better known than she is.
    She was absolutely hysterical as Miss Reubner, Judge Franklin's prissy and sarcastic secretary on "The Tony Randall Show" back in the mid 1970s. She was married briefly to Adolph Green and then to actor George Gaynes for around 60 years!
    RIP.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

She was a beauty! Loved her to bits. Great as Servalan in Blake's 7. As a teen she scared me and excited me at the same time!

Tanx likes this.
  15. JozefK

16. JozefK

17. JozefK

Bill Daily, Major Healey in ‘I Dream of Jeannie,’ Dies at 91

Bill Daily, the affable TV actor who starred as Major Roger Healey in “I Dream of Jeannie” as well as on “The Bob Newhart Show,” died Sept. 4 in Santa Fe, N.M., his son J. Patrick Daily confirmed. He was 91.

“He loved every sunset, he loved every meal — he just decided to be happy about everything,” said his son.

The longtime Albuquerque resident was a staple on series of the 1960s through 1980s, notably as Bob Newhart’s daffy neighbor, airline pilot Howard Borden, on CBS’ “The Bob Newhart Show” sitcom from 1972 to 1978. In the 1980s, he appeared as psychiatrist Dr. Larry Dykstra on NBC’s “ALF.”​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Slightly creepy side man who had big heart. Need to check out his credits aside from Jeannie and Newhart.

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. JozefK

21. JozefK

Peter Donat, ‘The X-Files’ Actor, Dies at 90

Peter Donat, who played Agent Fox Mulder’s father on “The X-Files” and acted in two Francis Ford Coppola films, died Monday at his home in Point Reyes, Calif. He was 90.

His wife, Maria, told the New York Times the cause was complications of diabetes.

Donat, perhaps most recognizable for his recurring “X-Files” role, was also a frequent stage actor, playing Cyrano de Bergerac, Prospero, Shylock, King Lear and Hadrian VII over the years.

He also guest starred on TV series like “The F.B.I.,” “Hawaii Five-O,” “Mannix,” McMillan & Wife,” “Hill Street Blues” and “Murder, She Wrote.”

Francis Ford Coppola cast Donat as a lawyer in “The Godfather Part II” after he was considered for the role of Tom Hagen in “The Godather,” a part that eventually went to Robert Duvall. Donat also played Otto Kerner in Coppola’s “Tucker: The Man and His Dream” in 1980.

The Canadian-born actor originated from Kentville, Nova Scotia, and was drawn to acting by the career of his uncle, “Goodbye, Mr. Chips'” Robert Donat. His career began on stage, and he nabbed a few television roles before making his Broadway debut in 1957 in “The First Gentleman.”

In addition to his wife, Donat is survived by his sons, Caleb, Christopher and Lucas; two stepdaughters, Barbara Park Shapiro and Marina Park Sutton; a stepson, Malcolm Park; 11 grandchildren; and his brother, Richard, who is also an actor.​

The Senate committee: screenwriter William Bowers (Support Your Local Sheriff), Peter Donat, and producer-director Roger Corman.

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn! I didn't know who the other two were. :doh:

23. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

melstapler likes this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault