Final Curtain (the Visual Arts obituary thread)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

William Goldman really is deserving of his own thread, he created so many wonderful film scripts, but my favorite has to remain The Princess Bride. The dialogue is so wonderful, he wrote the best sword battle of all time, and the final battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen just emotionally wrecks me every time:

Inigo Montoya: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

[Inigo advances on Rugen, but stumbles into the table with sudden pain. Rugen attacks, but Inigo parries and rises to his feet again]

Inigo Montoya: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

[Rugen attacks again, Inigo parries more fiercely, gaining strength]

Inigo Montoya: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!

Count Rugen: Stop saying that!

[Rugen attacks, twice. Inigo avoids and wounds Rugen in both shoulders, the same spots where he wounded Inigo. Inigo attacks, bellowing:]

Inigo Montoya: HELLO! MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY FATHER! PREPARE TO DIE!

[Inigo corners Count Rugen, knocks his sword aside, and slashes his cheek, giving him a scar just like Inigo's]

Inigo Montoya: Offer me money.

Count Rugen: Yes!

Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that.

[He slashes his other cheek]

Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please...

Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for.

Count Rugen: Anything you want...

[Rugen knocks Inigo's sword aside and lunges. But Inigo traps his arm and aims his sword at Rugen's stomach]

Inigo Montoya: I want my father back, you son of a bitch!

[He runs Count Rugen through and shoves him back against the table. Rugen falls to the floor, dead]

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

8. MikaelaArsenault

9. MikaelaArsenault

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Wayne Maunder, Star of the 1960s Western 'Lancer,' Dies at 80

Wayne Maunder, who starred on the TV Westerns Custer and Lancer in the 1960s, has died. He was 80.

Maunder died unexpectedly Nov. 11 in his home in Brattleboro, Vt., a spokesman for the state's Department of Health confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. The actor had a history of heart disease.

The handsome Maunder wore his blond hair long to play Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer (in the days before Little Bighorn) on Custer, a 1967 ABC action drama that lasted just 17 episodes. (Footage was later edited into a feature called The Legend of Custer.)

On Lancer, a CBS Western that ran for two seasons from September 1968 to June 1970, Maunder portrayed Scott Lancer, the Boston-educated older son of Murdoch Lancer (Andrew Duggan) and half-brother of gunslinger Johnny Madrid Lancer (James Stacy). The boys, who had different mothers and had never met, come to California's San Joaquin Valley to assist their father on his sprawling ranch.

Both shows were created by Western writer Samuel A. Peeples at 20th Century Fox Television.

Maunder then played Sgt. Sam MacCray opposite Mitchell Ryan on the 1973-74 NBC drama Chase, a show about undercover L.A. cops co-created by Stephen J. Cannell.

Maunder also appeared on such shows as Kung Fu, The FBI, The Rookies, Police Story, The Streets of San Francisco and Barnaby Jones and in the features The Seven Minutes (1971), directed by Russ Meyer, and Porky's (1981), where he played a racist motorcyclist who gets into a fight with his son in his final onscreen role.

Born Dec. 19, 1937, in New Brunswick, Canada, Wayne Ernest Maunder was raised in Bangor, Maine. He graduated from Bangor High School and had a brief stint in the U.S. Navy and tryouts with several baseball teams, including the Milwaukee Braves and Pittsburgh Pirates.

He studied acting under Stella Adler in New York.

In a Long Island production at the Red Barn Theatre of Ann Jellicoe's The Knack, Maunder played the womanizing Tolen (portrayed by Ray Brooks in the 1965 film adaptation directed by Richard Lester). He was noticed and signed by Hollywood agent Jane Oliver (she later would discover Sylvester Stallone), who helped get Maunder a screen test at Fox in 1966.

"I was asked if I would like to play Custer," he told Hollywood columnist Bob Foster in 1967. "It seemed too good to be true. I was living in a small, cheap hotel, and the word spread fast. Not until the pilot was shot and ABC bought the series did I realize how far I had come."

In Quentin Tarantino's upcoming 1969-set Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, populated with actors playing Steve McQueen, Sharon Tate, Squeaky Fromme and others, Luke Perry will appear as a character named Scott Lancer.

Survivors include his brothers Lyle and Lloyd. His son, Dylan, died at age 37 in 2005 of a drug overdose.​

melstapler and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Pretty sure they were married at one point

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I think you're right, I seem to remember reading it was an ugly divorce, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

14. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

I checked IMDB, they were together from 1975 to 1989 but never married. Their breakup was definitely protracted and unpleasant though.

RIP Sondra. Had to have been a tough gig being Clint's partner.

15. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, their relationship was one of the first to highlight the new (at the time) domestic partnership laws to a lot of the country. There were only a few cities in California that had them. California became the first state with a domestic partnership law in 1999.

16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I was sad to hear of the recent passing of actor Charles Weldon, who played many different roles both on the big screen and the small screen and had a hit single (which many of you will recognize) with his early doo-wop group The Paradons. RIP Charles Weldon
    [​IMG]
    Charles Weldon reunited with fellow "Malcolm X" star Denzel Washington in 2016

When known as Chuck Weldon, he was also a founding member of the doo-wop group The Paradons. After reaching success with their popular single, 'Diamonds and Pearls,' the original group billed as The Paradons dissolved, and Weldon went on to perform with the soul group, Blues For Sale, before pursuing a career in acting. Weldon performed in a number of stage productions, including "Buck White," where he worked alongside Muhammad Ali in his only known Broadway appearance.
    [​IMG]
    On the big screen, Weldon's impressive film acting credits include "Serpico" with Al Pacino, "Stir Crazy" with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder and Spike Lee's "Malcolm X" with Denzel Washington. On the small screen, appeared in several television shows, including "A Woman Called Moses," "Roots The Next Generation," "Sanford and Son," Hill Street Blues," "Kojak," "St. Elsewhere," "L.A. Law" and "Law & Order." In addition to acting, Weldon also returned to the music scene as a performer on the oldies touring circuit as "Charles Weldon of The Paradons." Despite his age, Weldon retained an incredible singing voice which could be envied by vocalists half his age.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Charles Weldon's memorable appearance as Alex Hacker/Ms. Wallace on "Sanford & Son"
    [​IMG]
    Charles Weldon with Richard Pryor in the film "Stir Crazy"

Chuck Weldon's doo-wop group The Paradons had a major hit with their single 'Diamonds And Pearls'

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Dok and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

She was Seuss' second wife. His first was fellow author Helen Palmer. Helen committed suicide in 1967, partially because Seuss was having an affair with Audrey.

19. MikaelaArsenault

Thought it would be worthy of posting here though.

20. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

No, it's fine. Helen Palmer was a significant force in Seuss' life. His remarriage was on the tawdry side, because of the double affair (Audrey also left her own husband) and suicide. Audrey also gave up custody of her own children because Seuss/Geisel didn't like kids in real life.

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Waterhole #3 is one of my dad's favorite films.

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

What a beauty she was!

25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter