Finally! A Clockwork Orange in 4K

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GreggF, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It's being shown this weekend at my [Leeds] local.
    No idea if it's this 4K version or the regular release?

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I've read or watched several interviews with Malcolm MacDowell over the years about Kubrick & Clockwork Orange, I don't think he's ever mentioned anything like that before. He always seemed to have this warmth for Kubrick.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Weird. Well, maybe Stanley was "Hollywood" afterall.

McDowell also briefly writes about being ripped off by Kubrick himself. Prior to filming, the actor asked to be paid $100,000 and receive 2.5% of the box office. McDowell said Kubrick tried to deliver this for him but was told by Warner Bros. the studio couldn’t agree to the back-end deal. After the movie became a financial hit around the world a Warner Bros. executive told McDowell he would be a rich man with 2.5% of the box office. McDowell was confused as Kubrick had told him that wasn’t going to happen. The executive told the actor Warner Bros. had given his 2.5% cut to Kubrick so that it could be delivered to McDowell.

“I knew he would never pay me,” McDowell writes. “It was a terrible way to treat me after I’d given so much of myself, but I got over it. Doing this film has put me in movie history. Every new generation rediscovers it — not because of the violence, which is old hat compared to today, but the psychological violence. That debate, about a man’s freedom of choice, is still current.”

McDowell touched about the same topic in a 2014 interview with Entertainment Weekly, saying he remembered thinking at the time, “My God, you only do one of these movies in a lifetime. Why would he do that to a young actor? Why would he do that? It’s so ungenerous and so mean, when he’s had every f--king fiber of my being.”

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I heard an interview with Malcolm and he talked about how he an Stanley had almost a father and son relationship during filming and he was kind of surprised when the film ended he was kind of cut off.....not really bitter just Malcolm was young and not used to film sets ways.....

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I heard the same story, that McDowell thought he and Kubrick had become really close friends, but the moment the film was released Kubrick stopped returning phone calls and basically never saw him again. I think he had just moved on to new people and new projects and didn't feel like spending any time with the actor again. It's tough in the film business when you're "business friends" with people while the film is happening, and then it ends and life goes on.

8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Anyone know if/when this will be in North American theatres?

Anyone see it recently during the UK run?

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I hope Criterion releases this on Blu-Ray. The 2010 version sucks.

GreggF likes this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes I saw it and wasn't impressed with the picture quality.

No idea which version they were showing but it was pillar boxed.
    Don't know what the correct AR would be?

Veltri likes this.
  13. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

ACO should be 1.66:1. Presumably it was pillarboxed because hardly any theaters are set up to handle ARs besides 1.85 and 2.35 now.

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Great news! On the last blu-ray edition the clips in the bonus documentary were much better quality than the actual film presentation.

If it's anywhere near 2001 it'll be amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.