Finally heard the AN Oto . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by plimpington2, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally had a chance to listen to the AN Oto, something I have been trying to do for at least two years. I heard the Oto phono SE version with a pair of the small AN Speakers (K, I think, without any of the fancy upgrades).

I have to admit that I was impressed with the dynamic capabilities and bass response of the speakers, but had a lot of trouble wrapping me head around the degree of toe-on that is recommended and the corner loading (which did not, in the end, seem to be strictly necessary). Front end was a relatively inexpensive turntable ($2500) with an Ortofon 2M bronze (a cart that I very much like, and often use on my very expensive turntable at home).

The Oto struck me a pretty darn resolving, with really nice retrieve of detail and “touch” for lack of a better term. Never strident or aggressive, yet i didn’t feel it was particular rolled off either. I worried, to be honest, whether there was a bit of “pipe and slippers” presentation to it. And would have needed more time with it to play some more diverse music to resolve that question. I felt it may have leaned in that direction.

My main concern, however, was whether it was a bit reticent in the midrange. I LIKE and sought out a unit with EL-84 tubes because I like the punchy mid-bass (a trait also of my LP12) but also a fairly projected, we’ll illuminate mid-range. I like saxophones, for instance, to jump out of the speakers. The Oto was reticent here, tho honestly i can’t say whether this was the amp or the speakers.

The best sounding EL-84 amp I have ever heard is the Leben 300xs. It does it ALL as far as I am concerned. But that’s into my speakers. I don’t know if the AN speakers may be influencing me more than the amp.

Has anybody heard the Oto and the Leben 300xs?

Btw, I ALSO heard an EL-34 based Airtight amplifier into a pair of Graham LS5/9’s. This was F-ing superb!! And removed all of my bias against EL-34 tubes when (apparently) done right. This was some of the best sound I have ever heard. But that amp was $11k.

Seafinch likes this.
  2. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I’ve never heard that version of the Oto SE, but i think the signature version would address all your concerns. Stunning amp.

Rolltide likes this.
  3. plimpington2

How does the signature differ from the non-signature? The difference in price is about $2000, I believe.

4. plimpington2

Also, would love a bit more technical info on this amp if anybody knows. Pictures captions on the interwebs seem to be unreliable (sig versus non-sig). Do both have choke regulated PSU’s? Do both have DC on the small signal tube heaters?

5. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

From the AN website...

“Some of the superior quality components utilised in the OTO SE Signature include: -

Audio Note (UK) Copper foil capacitors used in the most critical areas. Audio Note (UK) Tantalum resistors used in the most critical areas. Custom designed IHiB output transformers, manufactured by Audio Note (UK). These output transformers – one of the most critical areas of valve amplifier design – allow the OTO SE Signature to produce impressively extended and controlled bass.”

6. plimpington2

Well, the Signature version is simply too expensive. I have an option to pick up a demo unit of the phono SE for less than 3 bills. So, I am sorely tempted.

7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Well when I first auditioned Audio Note I hate it so it seemed you liked it more than I did. The OTO is a darker leaning amplifier - it is more stereoypically valve sounding. That just isn't to all tastes. Which is why the SORO exists. It is a little more money but the same level amp.

Audio Note has levels - and within each level AN maintains that the quality level is the same at that level BUT they are providing you with several "tastes" to meet your needs. So the quality of the SORO and OTO in terms of parts quality is the same - the SORO is more expensive because it needs more expensive power supplies to operate the higher power tubes.

Some folks like the OTO better and some folks much prefer the SORO. My dealer in Canada prefered the SORO and bought it for his home - while my dealer in Hong Kong hates the SORO so much he doesn't even carry the thing! People really get into this stuff. I like both of them but I prefer the darker presentation of the OTO - I could definitely see how you would feel the OTO is a bit Pipe and Slippers - but that very quality can be so darn good on lounge singer kind of music and delicate music that a lot of folks will choose that over something that becomes too strident. The upper OTO SE Sig has more of that drive and grip - most people in the west greatly prefer the SE Sig - but my dealer in Hong Kong prefers the original version - the slam bam aspect they don't like as much - but they listen almost exclusively to classical music.

I would not get too hung up on tube types - every time I say I don't like one tube type AN winds up proving me wrong.

Still I would probably not spend your 3k or whatever unless you really know you love the amp. The OTO is a darker sounding amplifier - so is the i-Zero. They do what they do really really well but like I say - the SORO exists for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.