Finally heard The Stooges' FUN HOUSE -- Wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had both on the day the original albums were released...heavy stuff for a young teen back then...I have a special place for the debut album...

2. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I agree, but the s/t album has it's charms. It's more of a garage album...except "We Will Fall" of course. :shake: ;)

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Both albums are perfect. I like every track. The remasters are fine. The old cds are OK too. I've been listening to both since they were first released on vinyl over 30 years ago. My interest was originally due to liking the Doors and seeing that the Stooges were also on Elektra. If you like loud rock and haven't heard these, do yourself a favor and give them a try. I'm amazed at how the music is more appreciated now than it was when first released. They are not dated at all.

4. jaydee

jaydee Member

Is there any truth to the reports (from Sugarman I think, so consider the source) that they considered Ig to replace Jimbo?

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I first heard both Funhouse and Vol 2., the Sonny Rollins Blue Note album, while shopping at the Harvard COOP years ago. They were being played on the in store system. Couldn't believe I had never heard either of them before, and bought both of them that day. Outstanding records.

6. mfp

mfp Senior Member

BTW, have you heard the mono mix 7" of Down on the street with that extra organ? Wow!
    And does anyone knows who plays it?

7. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Ray Manzarek? :D

"Funhouse" has one of the best captured vibes I've heard on a rock record. The Stooges lined up in a ring of fire around you. It's a masterpiece, and I never tire of it. On my TOP 10 ever list.

Anybody heard the remastered 2LP yet?

8. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

As a slight aside.. are the vocals on Funhouse a bit 'hissy' sounding? Not hissy as in 'tape hiss' but as in sort of sibilant. I only have FH on LP and could never get any of my (cheap) carts to track the 'esses' completely flawlessly.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Thank you, Lester Bangs. "Of Pop and Pies and Fun" was my intro to this great album.

10. zabble

zabble Forum Resident

I read somewhere that Iggy Pop was heavily influenced by the Doors when he was in the Stooges and was excited to be on the same label as them. "We Will Fall" is the song where you can hear this influence most.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

The liner notes on the two-disc Rhino reissue make note that the vocals were recorded live with the music, through a handheld feeding a PA system like a harp mic, which was very unusual by this point. So maybe the sibilance is unavoidable.

12. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Aaah, might be. Thanks. They do indeed sound sort of overdriven in spots :agree:.

13. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

Maybe i'm stange, but i really don't like "Funhouse." It bores me! I do, however, really like the s/t album!

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the 2LP U.K. vinyl is a really nice package, down to the old-school, custom black 'elektra' inners, but the mastering is the same as the two-disc set (ie. from a digital master). i bought it just because i love the album; i've only played it a few times. the CD does it for me.

15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I just picked FunHouse up myself yesterday after reading this tread. I was pleasantly surprised at the power of this recording. My intro to Iggy et all was back in the around 77 when I picked up Raw Power and Metallic KO. Raw Power, although having some great tracks, was a muddy sounding affair. And Metallic KO was just unbearable - sounded like someone in the audience with a tape deck recorded it. I've heard bootlegs that sounded better. So needless to say, I wasn't in a hurry to pick up either of the first two Stooges releases.
    Now I'm glad I did. Funhouse is a great Stooges album and the recording shows off what the band really sounds like. It's too bad Raw Power suffered when it was released due to poor sound quality but the reissue a few years back improved it immensely.

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Welcome to the other side! :)

I found that "Fun House" (the song) really grew on me over the years, but really, the whole thing is fantastic. Now go read Lester Bangs' review of the album and listen at the same time. :)

17. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

I'm 99% certain that's just Iggy's sloppy pronunciation of "All across the USA."

--Paul Curtis

18. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

It's not the same band, only the drummer and the singer are the same. Ron Asheton switched to bass, and James Williamson took over the guitar. It's the reason they currently play none of those songs live.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

1970 in Detroit, Michigan:

The Stooges - Fun House
    The MC5 - Back in the USA
    The Bob Seger System - Mongrel
    Funkadelic (S/T)
    Funkadelic - Free Your Mind ... and Your @$$ Will Follow

Thats must have been cool at the time. I was only 2 years old, but to be fair, the record buying public outside of Detroit wasn't paying any attention to these albums either. :)

Regards,

20. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

Finally! A good reason to join the BMG Music Club!

:agree:

THE STOOGES on ELEKTRA 1969-70
    http://keepkey.yochanan.net/iggy.htm

21. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Found the deluxe editions of both this and the S/T album at the Ft. Worth library yesterday (yeah, they have a heckuva music collection). Up to then, I'd only heard RAW POWER, and wasn't too blown away by that. Been listening to FUN HOUSE all morning, and it just ain't lettin' me go! It is un-frickin'-REAL!!! Words can't describe, but I can't believe I've gone this long without hearing this. Revelatory, mind-blowing, mind-numbing, everything that's been said about it and more!

22. zabble

zabble Forum Resident

I can't believe I'm actually going to see the Stooges live tomorrow night!

Sure I've seen Iggy plenty of times, but to see essentially the original band together and hear them play most of the first two albums will be unreal!

23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Don't resurrect threads ! Beware of the Hoffman joke !

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton actually visited Larry Fine in the nursing home quite often during the Stooges' residence in L.A. in 1974 (Fine had suffered several strokes); Larry's nurse encouraged Ron to continue with the visits, telling him that "it really helps his spirits, he's made lots of progress since you've been coming by."

Sad that Larry had no one else coming by--not a fitting way to treat someone who gave us so many laughs. :shake:

25. nin

nin Forum Resident

I listen now to the Sundazed vinyl and it sound great! Is the 2-CD versionen really better? :bigeek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.