Finally heard The Stooges' FUN HOUSE -- Wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I agree that the Sundazed is awesome. I seem to recall in an earlier thread that the Sundazed was the only version that had decent low-end, a necessity on this record. Someone who had heard both will be able to provide more info that I can.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Rollins' article in Spin was also my introduction to FUNHOUSE. The first time I heard it was in a friend's mobile home around 11:00pm with only a blacklight for illumination; the album truly is a visceral experience- makes most of your self-professed punks seem anemic and pathetic. The sax parts absolutely kill me! I always wondered what Ig meant when he would say "Hey, let me in" during the songs, but I came to realize he was cueing the band to drop back down for him to sing- definitely makes sense knowing that these were cut live to tape.

3. Joe Sixpaque

Joe Sixpaque New Member

It's truly one of my favorite albums. Just as far ahead of it's time as The Velvet Underground was.

It just build and builds and builds until the cacophony of L.A. Blues, and then it's over.

The only time I've ever heard any of this album outside of my own copies, was in Amsterdam at a some club, where they were playing the song "Fun House" and they had these long-haired blond girls in 60's outfits - white go go boots and miniskirts - up in these cages suspended from the ceiling, dancing perfectly. It was absolutely perfect. They played it twice that night. I can never again hear that song without thinking of that scene.

I saw Iggy in a bar just before Raw Power came out and Ron Asheton was actually playing bass with some other guys on guitar. They did a good show, but they only played TV Eye from this one. Iggy was in pretty bad shape that night - I'm glad he turned around as much as he did and that he's still around.

4. nin

nin Forum Resident

I needed to know how the Rhino Delux 2-CD version sounded like so I got some Flac of it and compared to the Sundazed vinyl. If I didn't got the wrong version I must say I was not really impressed with the sound. I'm no expert but it had way to much top-end for my taste and more compressed than the Sundazed version. To my ears, the Sundazed version sound more like a "flat" transfer. Again, I'm no expert.

If we look at the track Dirt (both normalized to the same average loudness level), we can see the vinyl version:
    [​IMG]

And the same track on the CD
    [​IMG]

I cut out a small sample from first the CD than the vinyl and made a 320 kbps MP3 so one can hear the difference: Dirt CD vs LP
    You can also see the difference here:
    [​IMG]

*The needledrop was made with an old NAD 3020i as riaa because I have nto got my new riaa yet, it will sound even better then*

5. nin

nin Forum Resident

Damn, cannot edit my post. But I hope you understand, even with the bad spelling ;)
    As I tried to say, the needledrop was made with a Nad 3020i amp and the phonostage in that one. It will sound even better with my new phonostage.

6. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Been on a huge mellow 50s and 60s jazz kick lately. This thread has prompted me to pull out Stooges s/t and Funhouse. Real o-mind! Just the electro shock I needed. I think my neighbors like the jazz a lot better though. Not up for A/Bing right now. Played the original s/t LP, which kicks serious booty. Nothing wrong with this Sundazed Funhouse LP either to my ears. The bass on TV Eye is pounding in my chest. Just the way I like it :)

7. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Motor City Music Archives-

Lots on the Stooges and the scene that spawned them. Can still see Ron Ashton in downtown Ann Arbor periodically.

www.motorcitymusicarchives.com

8. cortez

cortez New Member

I knew about Iggy from seeing him on TV and in Mags and such, and have always wanted to check out the music as he seemed interesting and I grew up on punk, puck rock and 70's hard rock. For whatever reason I would always forget to check out the music

After reading this thread I thought, ok I finally need some stooges albums, so I went out and got the 2 disk remaster a couple of weeks ago. This is some very good stuff!! I agree not as "punk" as I thought it would be but nice and raw straight up early 70's rock & roll. Tighter than 10 virgins in a Volkswagen in the musicianship department, I mean the guitar, bass, drum playing is fantastic. They almost sound like Band of Gypsys in spots minus Hendrix on vocals and leads. While I like all the songs, Dirt and Funhouse are out of this world, great jams, great groove. I'm kickin myself for not checking this out sooner.

The remaster sounds great to my ears. I have not heard the origanal cd but the 2 disk sounds very nice, and while the top end is a bit much in very few spots I would not call the remaster hot or compressed. The bottom end is great too(lots of it) that really helps the songs groove. Now time to get the first s/t album.

9. nin

nin Forum Resident

To me, the top end of the remaster CD is WAY too much and the bottom is little too much also. I vastly prefer the Sundazed version.

10. To add my $0.02 on the sound issue: the difference between the original US CD and the remaster for "Fun House" is relatively minimal, but to my ears the remaster of the first LP is far better. In particular, the drums on the original issue CD seemed too muted, and on the remaster they have the presence I recall on the LP - just compare the point about 30 seconds into "I Wanna Be Your Dog" when the drums kick in, and you'll see what I mean!

11. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

...plus, the original US CD of The Stooges has some early fades--though I never realized this until I picked up the original vinyl a few years later!

Speaking of which: in my experience, pre-1973 Elektra vinyl nearly always plays better than it looks, so don't let a few scuffs deter you from checking out an original red/butterfly pressing. (But if it's a later pressing with the Warner Communications logo in the fine print, be much more cautious.)

--Paul Curtis

12. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

So wonderful to see Fun House get some props. The Sessions discs are absolute killer.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

I got the Rhino replica Funhouse today.The "mini-vinyl" cover looks great.An all-time classic album :righton:

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got those two Elektra album on French picture discs which were legit issues about 4 years ago.

The Fun House art does look pretty cool spinning around on the TT as that power noise clears the air in the room. I think it's digital mastering.

But I do have the US butterfly label for serious audiophile listening of this album. ;)

15. wetaught

wetaught Well-Known Member

Hearing Loose and 1970 were major epiphanies for me.Monumental tunes, the rest of Fun House is good also.I hear these two tunes and..man...head for ze hills!

16. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

The Rhino CD sounds great.Oh man…”Dirt” what a beyond belief groove :eek: Total eargasm

17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The Rhino cds are cool, but nothing can beat the original vinyl...which I am lucky to have, as well as the first album. Raw Power too!

18. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Don Gallucci, Funhouse producer and former member of The Kingsmen. At 14 he played keyboards on Louie Louie. He was soon forced out of the band as he wasn't old enough to tour. The single is included on the sessions box.

TheOx

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That version is also on the Rhino 2-cd remaster. On the 2nd cd to be exact.

20. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Anybody heard the 2-LP of Fun House with the extra tracks?

21. helter9skelter

helter9skelter New Member

nothing compares to Raw Power

i am continually astonished that true iggy and the stooges fans seem to prefer fun house over raw power. raw power was and is a milestone in rock history. a true seminal album. unleashing a sound not heard before or after. james williamson was a genius with the guitar. and iggy.....even bowie wanted to be him. not a single track on fun house( a great album btw) compares. raw power is one of the 10 greatest rock albums of all time. (5 being the beatles).

ty, hard to beat

22. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Raw Power sounds like it's a transistor radio. Fun House sounds like the earth is shifting platonics.

23. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

Huh. I've always preferred the first Stooges album, myself.

My ranking:

1. The Stooges
    2. Metallic K.O.
    3. Fun House
    4. Raw Power

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Both are great in their own ways, though.

25. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.