Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

Ditto. Mine is flawless, looks new. Sound is incredible and probably the quietist background noise of any record I own, even with headphones on I struggle to hear any clicks in between tracks.
    I can't recommend this enough, one of the best metal records I've ever heard.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. Philming

Philming Well-Known Member

Hi all :)
    Well I am rediscovering some Iron maiden albums and wanted to make a small statement.
    As an example, I had completely dismissed the Dance of Death album for a very stupid reason back when it came out : The album artwork.
    those 3D guys all over the place that was looking like a bad use of the Poser software that I believe was out around that time.
    I have bought back most of IM's LPs in vinyl, this album included and damn did I underestimated that album.
    Except for some - a bit - long intros... :)

Spirit Crusher, Metalrob and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

You are right about the long intros...but for me i am glad i gave this a fair chance back in 03!
    My favorite Maiden album after "Seventh Son"

4. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I mean favorite after the first seven albums era!
    Actually...when i think about it i actually like "DoD" better than "NOTB".

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I've had an advantage of listening to Dance Of Death for years without seeing the cover art :D
    So I like the album a lot.

Metalrob and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I like Dance of Death...I don't listen to it often. Maybe because the CD is so nuked. I'll have to get that LP reissue on the turntable. I've come to like DOD more than the albums after it. Under-rated, I think.

Metalrob likes this.
  7. The CD is amongst the worst I have for being overly compressed etc. Utter garbage. Oh and the original discs had that stupid so called anti piracy crap on em'...stop you copying em, which meant some CD players wouldn't play em.

8. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Still...it sounds way better than Book Of Dead which is totally unlistenable !

9. I wouldn't know as I have no intention of trying to sit through it!!!!!

Metalrob likes this.
  10. obi

obi Forum Resident

That’s ridiculous. I’ll be the first to admit that Book of Souls has problems. First and foremost it displays a complete lack of self-editing; both individual tracks and the overall album needs (a lot) of trimming.
    But the production is good. The album sounds good and compared to Dance of Death it is very dynamic.

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

That's not ridiculous. And if you have totally transparent hifi equipment and a listening room built for just that with no measureble problems what so ever like i have you would agree with me!

12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Book Of Souls is excellent if you're prepared to give it some time. I'm basing that observation on the vinyl btw.

13. sunking101

If your system is such that you can only enjoy perfectly produced and mastered music on it then it's flawed. I've been there.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I agree...the songs on the record are really good !! I just dont like listening to it because of the SQ.

sunking101 likes this.
  15. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

The vinyl sounds much better than the cd.Mastered by Chris Bellman i think.But there is only so much you can do in the mastering....if the production sucks.

16. sunking101

I agree but if we judge music on the production and mastering these days we'll end up listening to next to nothing. I don't find Book Of Souls to be unlistenable, I can still enjoy it.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I really don't see how the production on Book Of Souls is better or worse than on any other album since Brave New World. I find them all quite listenable on current vinyl editions.

Neonbeam and Clanceman like this.
  18. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

X-Factor is probably my favourite if the reissues, including the foldout poster was nice too.

Neonbeam and Clanceman like this.
  19. Philming

Hey all.
    Has anybody noticed a stereo image unbalance on the current Piece of mind reissue ?
    To get Bruce's voice entered on most songs I have to add an extra 4 or 5dB to the left speaker.
    At first I thought it was my setup but then I threw another LP on my TT and things were OK without adjustment...
    Can anyone confirm ?
    Thanx

20. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Yes it's mastered like that

21. Philming

OK thanx...
    They didn't do that on purpose right ?

22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Who knows, not that it changes anything :)
    But yeah, like I wrote a bit earlier in this thread, nothing a balance knob can't fix and it still sounds quite good.

23. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Hi Pspulioninks, you have given a good summary of forum residents' assessments of the Maiden 2014 reissues.

I read the three long threads on this forum with great interest as Maiden is one of my favourite bands. So thanks to everyone for sharing their impressions and insights.

I broadly agree with the consensus that the 1980s' reissues ranged from solid to excellent with the exception of Killers and Number of the Beast.

Where I differ is that I found the US (BMG) reissue of Killers to be noticeably less muffled than the European (Parlophone) reissue, even at higher volumes.

In fact, I'd take the rich (but not too dark) US reissue over original pressings if its first side didn't suffer from intrusive clicks, very loud surface noise and two drop outs (during Wrathchild and Genghis Khan) - and I tried three different copies!

Like most other listeners, the European reissue of Beast struck me as dull (I never sampled the US version). In addition, the guitar solos seem somehow to float above the rhythm sections in a disconcerting fashion, as if the remastering highlights the flaws in the original mix.

Unlike other forum members, I wouldn't say that the European pressings were generally of superior quality than the US ones.

My European copies of Powerslave and Seventh Son suffered from several loud clicks during the quiet sections of the Side B epics, while their US replacements didn't (although a few tearing sounds appear in the introduction to Aces High on my US copy).

My European debut similarly has a noisy Side A (I can't comment on the US equivalent).

This might change with subsequent listens and acquisitions, but at the time of writing my preferred vinyl versions of Maiden are:

• Debut: 1st Japanese pressing
    • Killers: 1993 Russian edition (made in UK) - and yes I have the 1st Japanese pressing; it just sounds a little shrill to me
    • Beast: 1st Japanese pressing
    • Piece: 1st Australian pressing (or possibly the 1st US pressing), but the 2014 European reissue is no slouch
    • Powerslave: 1st US pressing - it marginally trumps the Japanese pressing in my view
    • Live After Death: 2014 European reissue
    • Somewhere: 2014 US reissue - the remaster sounds deeper and fuller than the original
    • Seventh: 2014 US reissue - ditto
    • No Prayer: 1st US pressing (red vinyl). I might prefer the 2017 remaster, but the volume drops (or pumping) during the first three tracks drive me crazy! (I tried the digital FLAC files but they give me a headache.)
    • Fear of the Dark: I know this is heretical, but I much prefer the 2017 remaster over my 1993 Russian edition (made in UK).
    NB I do not own expensive equipment and my ears have never been the same after experiencing Slayer at the Big Top, Luna Park, Sydney in 2013 - ear plugs could not prevent their black magic from penetrating my soul.

Dorian75 likes this.
  24. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Hey Sear, see my previous post. Cheers!

25. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Are the channels balanced on your Piece Of Mind reissue?