Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

No, the right channel is louder.

Goldy likes this.
  2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Can you please tell us what kind of gear you use? As an example I don't find the JPN pressing of 'Killers' to be shrill at all, in this case your experience might be equipment dependent.

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Yes @Calvinist please fill out your equipment profile.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Sure, I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60USB turntable with a LP Gear CFN3600LE stylus, Super Vivid AT-LP60 belt and Project It leather mat, played through a Yamaha MCR-B043D Micro Component Audio System.

GyroSE likes this.
  5. Philming

Philming Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure this gear will turn out the most of your vinyls...
    It's maybe the reason you get different "readings" from most people here on these records.
    If you have such great pressings of these records, I would suggest for you to upgrade your gear. It will only get things better for you.
    Edit. I heard Japanese pressings had generally speaking enhanced high ends. I'm saying enhanced. Not shrieking or ice picky. See the above.

Neonbeam and CBackley like this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

That's not the case with the original JPN pressings of Iron Maidens albums from the 80's. They do sound full and meaty IMO.

7. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Thank you for the suggestion.

I don't doubt that better equipment yields better results. But I am not currently in a position to upgrade.

Also, I don't think my impressions differ greatly from others on the forum; I prefer the old Japanese pressings of Maiden in several cases, just not all.

Cheers.

8. Philming

Philming Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    So I'm going to post here what I put on there other thread, maybe some of you have an opinion...

So I used to have all the original pressings back in the days. I'm talking Vinyl.
    I put my collection back together these last months, whit whatever I could find, so mostly new records from the shops around me.
    But then I'm following some FB pages with Vinyl classifieds etc, and got the opportunity to get some vintage pressings of some albums.
    Mainly French pressings.

Mainly Iron maiden singles (Sanctuary, Run to the hills, Woman in uniform),
    Piece of mind 83 - French pressing
    Iron Maiden – Piece Of Mind (1983, Gatefold, Vinyl)

7th son of a 7th son - 1988 French pressing.
    Iron Maiden – Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988, Vinyl)

Rater happy with all these acquisitions, the condition being good to great
    I did'nt get a chance to listen to these yet but could you tell me if they're really better pressings compared to the 2014 / 2015 repressing ?

GyroSE and superstar19 like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm a little late to the party, just got my '14 UK copy today. :cheers: Regret selling my "signed" '80 Canadian Harvest Album decades ago. :mad:

gringopig and cmarti like this.
  10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The original CAN Harvest pressing is among the best sounding pressings of the debut album IMO.

11. Bingo Bongo

Not to mention it had an extra song "Sanctuary" on it, that the UK LP doesn't. Same with "Twilight Zone" on the UK Killers.

Dr. Metal MD and GyroSE like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Agreed, I have a mint copy and it rocks!

Queezma, Bingo Bongo and GyroSE like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Can I get your opinion on the 2014 (1980) self titled Iron Maiden LP?

Is there a consensus on the remix/remaster? I tried going through a lot of the threads 83 pages, and couldn't find a consensus.

[​IMG]

gringopig likes this.
  14. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I have the UK/Optimal pressing and I think it sounds phenomenal. Compares well to my US original pressing. I think all of the Optimal reissues sound phenomenal except for Killers and Number of the Beast, which they somehow managed to screw up. Sounds like a towel over the speaker, muffled and less dynamic. Still sound good but originals/early pressings blow them away. Also, Piece of Mind has one channel that is more quiet than the other but otherwise sounds great. All of the reissues I'm referring to are the 2014 Optimal EU ones.

cmarti and Bingo Bongo like this.
  15. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Avoid Killer and The Number of the Beast. All others are A-OK!

16. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Started to get excited when I saw some 2021 Iron Maiden Studio Collection remasters by Chris Bellman, including Number of the Beast and S/T. Then I saw they are pressed at United and my heart sank.. Has anyone heard them and can comment on how they sound and the amount of surface noise?

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

They must be reissues of 2014 editions (I have the EU-editions which were pressed by Optimal Media GmbH).
    The hype stickers on these 2021 ones are similar to what are on the latest cd-editions.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Discogs lists CB in deadwax though.

19. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I'm sure it was Sean Magee that cut the first 8 at least (think Chris Bellman started at Fear of the Dark). I know for definite that Bellman has done all from X Factor onwards.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Sci-Fi Kid

Right! Which is why this was exciting to stumble upon last night!

Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (2021, 180 Gram, Vinyl)

I didn’t see pressing plant info on NotB, but the 2021 S/T lists United.

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden (2021, 180 gram, Vinyl)

And every United pressing I personally own sounds like a freshly poured bowl of Rice Krispies, so I’m leery.

superstar19 likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ah, oh now I see it. Interesting and good observation.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Really? Yet another Vinyl mastering? And one that everybody decided to keep silent about? Even though these are new Bellman cuts? Shouldn't this be worth a line or two in a newsletter? Because if he recuts the magnificent seven one or two people might be interested in buying them again. For the fourth, fifth or seventh time! :biglaugh:

(Now we finally are learning the real reason why they gave the original purchasers two boxsets in 2014! :evil:)

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  23. Sci-Fi Kid

SammyJoe, I try to do a Discogs search of favorite mastering engineers 2-4 times a year to make sure I’m not missing anything. SH, KG, BG, CB, RKS, etc. Someone posted on FB that the new reissue of Donald Fagen’s “Nightfly” by CB was pretty amazing, so right after I ordered it I started my due diligence. That’s when I saw the Iron Maiden NotB & S/T.
    If it was available on Amazon I would happily take a flyer for the team, but it’s not, and the United info is keeping me from doing so elsewhere. My US Wally of NotB has some surface noise and could be bettered, but not as much surface noise as some United pressings.

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I know similar to these things as follow the forums and get some really good information on upcoming and past releases, what to get, look for or what to avoid.
    I think I got some albums presses by United, can’t recall much but maybe I was lucky and have somehow managed to avoid the worst or so.
    Always interested in any Maiden releases (as I sort of collect them anyways), I got different pressings of all the albums but if they are going to get us buy these once again after the 2014 editions then they should use better pressing plants.

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I store the originals in the first red boxset and in the wider one I store the 2014 editions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Vinyl Addict and Neonbeam like this.