"Finding Nemo": Digital vs Film projection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

In theory, once a DLP is installed and set up by a factory technician it should stay that way. Fewer moving parts, that sort of thing. No need to adjust focus, no need to change lenses, etc.

The audio in most theaters I attend is consistent for the most part, and I think digital projection will be the same.

Dan C

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Yeah, the ones who didn't die of lead poisoning.:eek:
    I'm in the newspaper biz and I've never met anyone who waxed nostalgic about the "good old days".
    The last old timer who worked here was pissed that he suffered from hearing damage and various medical problems from contaminations during his days working on the old presses.

Dan C

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

When I saw Attack of the Clones at the Star Southfield in DLP, there was slight "fringing" going on not unlike when a home projector is having convergence problems. The system had been installed for about 2 weeks. :eek: I hope that was not indicative of what to expect in the future.

Regards,

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That explains the wine selections on their website. ;)

I did get a confusing reply back from them by e-mail....short version is, no, they're not playing it digitally as Buena Vista changed their mind about sending out a digital copy to them. :(

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I had the exact opposite experience with DLP and Clones. I saw it twice at the Ziegfield in NYC. For those who aren't familiar, this is one of the best theaters in the country to see a big film.

I saw a preview of Clones a few weeks before it opened. I hoped it would be projected digitally because the theater is equipped with a DLP projector, however it was projected the old fashioned way. The picture was very, very good and I thought it boded well that the film looked like "film" despite its electronic origins.

I saw Clones again the week it opened - one of the main reasons was because this time it was being projected digitally. However, I was very disappointed. Yes, the colors were brilliant, but there were no blacks, only mildly dark greys. This was definately a step down from what I'd seen weeks before.

I'm sure the projector was not calibrated correctly - surprising since this was one of the country's premiere theaters during opening week. It wasn't until I saw the Finding Nemo in DLP that'd I could see the advantages of the process and only then during the film based previews did I get a taste of how filmic (real black) the process could be, but I'm not totally ready to declare it superior to film.

On a separate note, DLP for home is great, but Lcos is really a much better technology. It has the advantages of DLP, but is capable of much higher resolution.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

All technologies can continue to evolve, along, hopefully with the human understanding of the more dangerous ones. Now, whether a technology can continue to survive in the market place, well that's a different story. For one, I'd like to see this www.maxivision48.com. Seems pretty intriguing. Will we ever see it? Who knows. The market seems to like all things digital.

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

I don't want to get involved in the analog-vs.-digital debate here, but I will say that the DLP version of Nemo was stunning! :thumbsup:

8. Joseph Kaufman

Joseph Kaufman New Member

Wouldn't 1.85 and 2.35 require different lenses? I have the impression that it would, as the DLP chip itself isn't in the "scope" widescreen ratio.

Also, I suspect that focus will drift even without the kind of moving parts that standard film projectors have. Not as fast, certainly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.