" Finian’s Rainbow"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I just saw the 1968 film of FINIAN'S RAINBOW on TCM...gauled out as a St. Patty's Day chocolate leprechaun, I suppose! The movie is greatly disliked. I know, Coppola perhaps foremost among them. I saw the movie when I was 8 or so and my parents had the soundtrack LP ( Perhaps I got them to get it) --- It's personal nostalgia for me.
    The reversion shown on TCM was the road show version, with internist, etc. Was there any actual footage in the original road show version that the nebes version didn't get. I saw the movie IIRC at t he one theater in Gilmer, Texas, the county seat of my mother's home County. Maybe I was a little surprised to hear that it was a road show release - I recall reading of it being shot at least somewhat cheaply, on the same?? sets as CAMELOT. Perhaps the AMC host was thinking of the movie's - In fact he definitely was!!!!! - historically " neeh " reputation. He mentioned the story of the Coen Btothers' stated admiration of the film, which I run across earlier to-day, and acknowledged that the film is " generally forgotten today " but noted that it made a profit:yikes:! REALLY. that's surprising...the conventional History-Of-Cinema narrative is that Nobody went to that series of musicals released in the late 60s that bombed. the " Too Many Musicals " period:agree:. The New-e-'ll late 6ps youth Now Generation were craving BONNIE AND CLYXE and EASY RIDER and LINING UP for Goddard while spider webs formed and crickets croaked in the theaters showing HELLO, DOLLY! and CAMELOT and you could fire a cannon down the aisles!:love:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

...Misposts happened above. I think some my phone's doing and not mine.
    I meant " hauled out as a St. Patty"s...
    " road show version with intermission, etc. "
    " the nabes version didn't get? "
    " The Kewell Late 60s Now Generation "

3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I like this film. It was a primary reason for me becoming a fan of Petula Clark. She's lovely in the film, and her version of "Old Devil Moon" with Don Francks is sublime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.