Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

S1 is kind of a character introductory thing, and lets Walton Goggins chew up the scenery in a major way, but is more of a collection of separate episodes/stories.
    S2 starts takes off with some new characters & background & has a good story arc.
    S3 is riveting, might be my favorite, love the villain. (am rewatching that season now)
    The rest I don't specifically remember (which is why I am rewatching it).

It's amazing how many great shows have come out in the last 10-20 years or so. Can't possibly watch them all. Did the next season of Better Call Saul start yet?

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I'm preferring all these tv shows in the last 20 years to cinema /movies per se.

BCS started I think ( don't watch real time) have to wait till end of year to get DVD/Blu.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    slipkid likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The Sinner season 1 is excellent!

PhantomStranger and alexpop like this.
  4. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

It's remarkable how much that has changed for me. In the 80s I dont think I watched ANY tv shows regularly except for Letterman. SCTV was my first favourite show that I watched as it aired but I was pretty young. The Larry Sanders Show was probably the first gamechanger for me. The CBC show The Newsroom was another. Then HBO really got rolling with shows like Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Sopranos (all of which I watched years after they aired) and the ratio of TV to movies gradually started tipping until now when I might see two or three movies in a month that I like and those are usually foreign. Unless you are into superhero movies, American cinema is at an all time low and Im not seeing any signs of that improving.

I just remembered another TV series I watched not too long ago The Thick Of It. That's a good one if you like political satire, the writing was razor sharp, very cynical, very funny I thought.

alexpop and slipkid like this.
  5. alexpop

Admit Larry Sanders I did watch( brilliant). Going back further ...Taxi & Soap.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

True that. The superhero/Star Wars blockbuster bombast dominates everything & they are not to my tastes. There are still some rare jewels under the radar, independent studio rather than big budget studio productions, but not like "the good ole days".

goodpickins and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

Years after aired"
    Ditto.

It was Lost for me in 2011.
    Waited till BB was finished then gloriously binge watched.

In 2018, I've caught up with just about everything. So that means rewatching shows like Breaking Bad ( for example ). Ironically I still don't watch tv real time( no Netflix). Usually wait till series ends and get the DVD box.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    goodpickins likes this.
  8. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Same here - almost. I dont quite have your discipline :) I impatiently wait each week for Better Call Saul. I had a friend record the episodes of Handmaid's Tale so I watched those a day or two after they aired. And I'll be all over game of thrones if they are kind enough to air it while Im still alive and somewhat lucid. It's already reached the stage where I think i need a refresher but I am NOT going back and watching all 6 or whatever amount of seasons it is. I'll read a synopsis of episodes.

alexpop likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't watch TV shows/seasons in real time either. I either wait for the DVDs etc or record the shows while on then binge watch at my own pace after the season is over. Nothing worse than a cliffhanger and having to wait another week to see the resolution, losing the tension, IMO. I want to see it when I want to see it.

alexpop and goodpickins like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

One of my favorite shows Underbelly from Australia is now on Amazon Prime in the US. This is the first time it’s been on any streaming network here. Only the first 3 seasons (out of 6 plus a few spin off movies) have been available on DVD in North America.

alexpop likes this.
  11. The Sinner's first season was a good series with great acting from its leads.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. alexpop

No I like ( not really ) to wait. I forgot about season 2 of BCS was out, so it caught my eye while shopping ...I was pleasantly surprised it was a better season than the first one. Game Of Thrones I'll have to wait till winter /December 2019 till physical media is available. Problem watching real time is ya gotta wait till the following week for the next instalment. That was fine in the sixties /seventies. Spoilt for choice now. :)

Westworld is another one I left out, which shows potential, and Humans..yeah and The Deuce.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  13. alexpop

After a major hiccup when I started watching TV shows was seeing Lost 2 prior to seeing Lost 1. Incentive factor was Lost 2 ( complete DVD box)was a couple bucks )took a chance and holla molla after viewing, immediately bought Lost 1, then the rest, I was hooked. Make sure I get the complete series now,thee ultimate binge. Though I'm running out of shows to watch. Have to wait till they are made. :D

14. alexpop

Lot of glowing reviews on IMDb.
    Genre : Crime /Drama. Australian Sopranos, lotta skin, violence. Six seasons.

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. alexpop

Out on Blu Ray now.

16. alexpop

Drama 4 seasons.
    Main character served 19 years on death row now released has to get his proverbial s together.

Series finished 2016.

17. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

I just checked Amazon Prime but I only see season 4.

18. alexpop

68 episodes / six seasons IMDb

Underbelly

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've probably mentioned 1996, Chris Carter's "Millennium" before but I can't recommend it enough. It was way ahead of its time.

PhantomStranger and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Like the voice over " on Fox".

Yeah this looks good I must admit.
    Terry O'Quinn is in it as well.

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Season one was really good, pretty much a very dark standard procedural. Season two got into more secret society, supernatural themes & was my favourite season. I thought it was brilliant especially the closer it got to the season finale. If they had stopped the show at the end of season two, it would have been pretty much perfect. Season three was quite a big drop in quality. It's still very watchable & has some really good episodes but suffers in comparison to the two previous seasons. It had quite a nice cast & good acting as well for all three seasons.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I’d like to give Millennium a shot. I’ve never seen an episode. My only exposure to the show was The X-Files season 7 crossover that aired after Millennium was cancelled.

Scotian likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sorry I had that wrong. Seasons 1-3 are now on Amazon.com to buy digitally, but not on Prime Video. Season 4 and Season 6 (also called Squizzy) are both on Prime Video. Strange they'd only put S4 and S6 on Prime. And what about S5?

Each season is a completely different show so watching out of order is okay.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Avery Keen-Garde said:
    A shout out for 'The Shield' which hasn't been mentioned yet. Not quite up to Deadwood, Sopranos, Wire standard, but still pretty darn excellent drama.

I coulda sworn The Shield was already mentioned multiple times in this thread (by me for one). One of my favorite all time shows. Made me a lifelong fan of Walton Goggins. Nice to see him getting more roles in recent years (like Tarantino films, plus he had a majorly dominate role in the series Justified that was an over the top tour de force for him IMO).

25. alexpop

Don't recall any mention of Blu Ray.