Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Just finished Outlander season 3, enjoyed. I said I'd given up on it but succumbed and watched The Walking Dead season 8( no doubt get season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead as well) at least the tail end of 2019 is the final season of Games Of Thrones, such a long wait. Next on the couch potato menu looks to be Narcos( shops open). Nothing to watch over the Christmas period...argh!!!!! :D

2. alexpop

Started -ORANGE Is The New BLACK.
    Not bad, funny even. Well acted. Got box set cheap ...incentive factor.

slipkid likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, that has some very funny scenes in it. I still need to watch the current season.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Surprised at the nudity. But well defined characterisation. The edge lookalike bass playing prison warden is funny. What's the Swedish version like?

5. alexpop

Orange Is The New Black is my new series, enjoying. Picked up Peaky Blinders as well.

slipkid and Lightworker like this.
  6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Check out Sneaky Pete. Pretty entertaining if you liked Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

alexpop likes this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Can't recall if anyone mentioned this show in this thread or not, but I started watching Counterpart and am liking it a lot. Very very twisty-turny thriller. Interesting premise for a series - that during the cold war in Berlin some type of gov't project went awry opening a portal - or creating another world with a portal - exactly the same as our own. But then things diverge over 30 years (?) time and each world gets a bit different. People are the same people but can be very different. The whole thing is kept secret from the public but handled on some sort of governmental level between both worlds - spying on each other, clandestine operations, embassies, very intense stuff. Our hero gets sucked into the whole thing with no clue as to what is going on, a storytelling method that I always like, where we as the audience get to discover things at the same time as the main character. I am still watching the first season but the 2nd one just wrapped up I believe. It's a STARZ series, but is available on DVD/blu-ray (at least the 1st season is, it is at my local library). Unfortunately the 2nd one hasn't made it to DVD yet afaik though (?).

Counterpart (TV series) - Wikipedia

Gets a 100% "fresh" review on RottenTomatoes.

Am shocked to see that STARZ just canceled it after this 2nd season, but encouraged to see that the company behind it is shopping it around to other networks/etc.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

I love me some portals, 11. 22.63.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I never heard of that one. That looks really inarresting! And I like that it is just one season/8 episodes, so I don't have to commit a huge amount of time to invest in a new series. Looks like that came out on DVD in 2016, so I need to see if my library has that!

10. alexpop

It‘s brilliant. Apparently the Stephen King story is even better.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool, found it on my library's website (they cooperate with about a dozen other libraries in this county & allow you to checkout stuff at other libraries, deliver them to your local for checkout). Just put in a request for it. Should be able to watch it next week or so....

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

First season says on the DVD / Blu Ray cover.

Dunno if it was a case of poor viewing figures or what, but it looks like this tv series was aborted at the starting line.
    Pity, 11.22.63..had James Franco's most sympathetic character.

13. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

11.22.63 ends where the book ends, I don't think a second season would be necessary or interesting.

14. alexpop

Also got BLACK Lightning season 1 admittedly kids stuff but pretty good soundtrack.

15. alexpop

What’s with the “first season” blurb on the cover then ?

16. alexpop

Cheap?
    The first sample ( in my case season 2) blu ray was new / inexpensive ..but the other seasons were expensive. Don’t mind if if it’s quality entertainment( subjective).

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Also, regarding buying DVDs, if you buy from ebay - beware. I had bought several seasons of Breaking Bad, Justified, and Dexter from ebay sellers that were all counterfeits. Prices were great and they were on pressed rather than burned media.

In all cases what should have been double layer DVDs were on single layer with appropriate degradation in quality (pixelation etc). Artwork was all extremely professional looking and would fool anyone except even that had flaws in spots, too dark printing, weird dirt inside, you name it. Another clue was that some of the sets with only one DVD in the case came in a case for two DVDs. In addition none of the discs had any type of antipiracy type of protection etc and simply looking at the discs on the PC comparing what a genuine one looks like they were missing some interesting files.

I actually called the anti-piracy division of Sony (IIRC) and had a long discussion with the rep there comparing what should have been the matrix codes (the Breaking Bad counterfeit DVDs did not even HAVE matrix codes identifying the factories, just said "BREAKING BAD etc" on them in there which the real plants did NOT do that).

In every case, contacting the ebay sellers (based in "Washington, DC" IIRC) each of them had chinese names. Each of them immediately refunded my $ within minutes. And one of them even unprompted by me PAYPALLED ME $15 to return the discs to them (so they could no doubt sell them to some other sucker). I made a thread on this at the time that you can look for up here if yer interested in more details.

trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

I don’t buy my media DVDs/blu rays from ebay.
    Don’t have any counterfeits in my semi large collection. But I guess, buyer beware!!!!!

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I really enjoyed season 1. Fresh and interesting concept. Well acted. However, in deference to the thread on Monty Python, Graham Chapman might have stopped season 2 of Sneaky Pete as being too silly. IMHO

Brenald79, slipkid and Lightworker like this.
  20. alexpop

What’s Sherlock like ?

21. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

Excellent.

mr. k likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Genius. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

mr. k and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Fun show! But preferred Peaky Blinders, which after my initial comments, happy I’m proved wrong. Pretty solid series!!!

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. alexpop

Seen a couple of episodes of Unite 9 a Canadian Orange Is The New Black ..pretty gritty stuff in comparison.

25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Just started Ozark and binged the first season. I'm liking it more than Breaking Bad, but I'm always more enthusiastic about the "new" thing than the old thing.

I've read the criticisms of the show, but I also found a lot of Breaking Bad to be unbelievable or unrealistic. I avoided watching it earlier due to misunderstanding the plot. I thought Bateman was playing a guy from the Ozarks or something, and I assumed it was a dirty southern-gothic drama. I was wrong on all accounts (as usual).

alexpop likes this.