Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The writing and the acting are not as good but then I put Deadwood on a pedestal. It would be hard to even match it imo. Still, it's an interesting story to me. I started etching it at the same time I was watching Coppers so it was in fun comparing the situations which are close time-wise but opposite parts of the country.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What's still current apart from GOT & MM ?

3. alexpop

So 10/10 vs 8/10.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm watching Almost Human, it has its moments, pretty cliche like Dollhouse in many ways, acting is a bit better (I really like Michael Ealy). Some storylines are intersting, others are just ho-hum.
    "Helix" . . . I've just seen the first ninety minute episode that was broadcast here. I think it too is a bit too derivitive (Resident Evil, Quarantine, etc.) but the production values are better than many shows. And I like Billy Campbell (know him from The 4400 and The Killing).

alexpop likes this.
  5. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

More like 10/10 Deadwood, 7/10 Hell On Wheels.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

Hmm.

7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Besides those already mentioned (and I haven't read to the end of thread, so...)

Rescue Me- follows an NYC firefighter after 911 suffering from PTSD and also alcoholism; incredible "dynamic range" i.e. some of the funniest moments ever along w/ some of the saddest, sprinkled in w/ lots of poignant ones. Denis Leary at his best w/ a great cast and awesome writing

Dexter- it drops a bit in later seasons, but the first 4 are awesome

Californication- follows a writer who is a true romantic, whose object of desire shuns then accepts him, in an endless cycle, while he licks his wounds w/ womanizing that would make any playboy proud, w/ a string of gorgeous guest stars. Incredibly funny (8th and final season beginning shortly)

Battlestar Galactica- sci-fi at it's best, where the future setting and circumstances (apocalyptic migration from home-world, chased by robots they created, searching for safety and ultimately Earth), while engrossing, pale next to the show's ability to portray the human condition in a deep and meaningful manner

Of those I've seen mentioned- many great choices, the most compelling for me would be:

Breaking Bad and The Wire- probably the 2 best TV shows ever imo.
    Six Feet Under- not far behind those 2...
    Shameless- just started it's 4th season; as realistic and gritty as they come, filled w/ comedy and pathos

alexpop likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sorry for the typos there but it wasn't enough to skew my intent.
    I'd be slightly less generous with Hell On Wheels, giving it a 7/10 although that is one season so it could pick up a bit with season two possibly or go the other direction of course. Time will tell. I don't watch a lot of TV so I have to e to follow the show at this point in time and will do so until it loses something.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

10s ...Sopranos( ok 90s), Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men. Will accept 8's though prefer solid 10s regarding ratings( for example).

10. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Another vote for Justified 9/10 at it's worst, 10/10 at it's best

HadgeTunes and alexpop like this.
  11. Lonson

Hell on Wheels has had three seasons. I think it's decent, about an 8/10 maybe.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm watching it via Netflix which means I'm always behind a year or season. I'm watching season two now. Just as I am watching the season of Justified that finished a while back and not the current one showing. I don't mind being behind though. Netflix is way cheaper than cable and since we don't watch a lot of TV, it is a perfect fit for our needs.

13. Lonson

Yes, many enjoy Netflix and it makes sense. I mainly have cable for the DVR. . . I need to be able to record things in order to watch them, my free time and broadcast times don't line up.

Also I talk about shows with my girlfriend and a few other friends, so I don't want to be a season behind on shared shows.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't think ANYTHING could compare to the swearing quota on Deadwood! Doesn't bother me in the least (I actually find it funny) but...jeez...I can see that some people might be offended. I am watching the show now for the first time (bought the boxset on sale around xmas after reading some reviews) and am real impressed it with it, just finished season two. Love the crazy way the characters speak, swearing or no swearing, btw.

Anyways big seconds for these shows that I think were already mentioned:

Breaking Bad - starts out as a black comedy and ends up as a brilliant but very grim thrillride; saga of mild mannered chemistry teacher metamorphosizing into multimillionaire druglord

The Wire - amazing real life-ish drama covering cops, criminals, reporters, politicians, with about the best ending ever in TV history wrapping it all up brilliantly IMO

The Shield - my favorite ever cop show, great characters, storylines, story arc building dramatically to the conclusion - I rewatch the complete series every couple years and pick up new stuff all the time, love it, love it, love it!!!!!!

Justified - Timothy Olyphant's Deadwood character gets reincarnated as a modern day deputy federal marshal with a quick draw, who has encounters with all kinds of fascinating Elmore Leonard characters

Dexter - most fascinating, unique, & gripping show I ever saw when it started out (story of a serial killer with a "code" for living/killing), but then descends into drawn out, boring, melodramatic crap, especially the last season, with the 2nd worst ending in TV history IMO....I still recommend it though, especially for the first 4 seasons, before the production team changed & slowly destroyed it

Battlestar Galactica - really fun "Sci-fi" show but without much Sci-fi per se (no alien encounters for example, just humans & "cylons"); a little too much overdone romance/hookup angle in spots for me, but I really enjoyed the show - despite what I consider to be the #1 worst/most stupid ending in TV history (I still rate it's last episode as the most logic defying asinine endings yet, but Dexter's is probably worse; it's just that Dexter's wrapup is still too recent for me to sink in how truly horrible it was)

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Just got the 4season box. Watched only 6 episodes so far. Hope it gets better. I'd give it a 7/10 rating. Steller supporting cast.

16. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Didn't see a recommendation for Rectify. Only been one season, but it's excellent so far.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Justified !

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

No votes for True Blood?? Lots of humor, nudity, in it....

alexpop likes this.
  19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. The only thing I would disagree with is the bolded part - Raylan Givens is funnier, wittier, and waaaay less uptight than Seth Bullock could ever hope to be! Givens is Bullock without the stick up his ****, a bit less intensity, and a sense of humor. It's the perfect combo, IMHO, and I love Olyphant's performances in both roles.

20. alexpop

Still bummed out with the blu ray packaging of the Mad Men complete series. Just checked IMDb, Jon Hamm's resume, and nothing of interest coming out for the next two years.Needs a Harry O detective type series methinks.

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love Boat?

22. alexpop

Yeah! Watched that now.
    Agree. Brilliant.

23. alexpop

Breaking Bad watched that twice now.
    10/10.

Bender Rodriguez and Ed Hughes like this.
  24. alexpop

Love handles ?
    Promised I lose weight this year. :)

25. alexpop

Seen them all now, cept BE.

HAmmer likes this.